This content is not included in your SAE MOBILUS subscription, or you are not logged in.
Design and Optimization of a Robust Active Trailer Steering System for Car-Trailer Combinations
ISSN: 0148-7191, e-ISSN: 2688-3627
Published April 2, 2019 by SAE International in United States
This content contains downloadable datasetsAnnotation ability available
This paper presents a robust active trailer steering (ATS) controller for car-trailer combinations. ATS systems have been proposed and explored for improving the lateral stability and enhancing the path-following performance of car-trailer combinations. Most of the ATS controllers were designed using the linear quadratic regulator (LQR) technique. In the design of the LQR-based ATS controllers, it was assumed that all vehicle and operating parameters were constant. In reality, vehicle and operating parameters may vary, which may have an impact on the stability of the combination. For example, varied vehicle forward speed and trailer payload may impose negative impacts on the directional performance of the car-trailer combination. Thus, the robustness of the conventional LQR-based ATS controllers is questionable. To address this problem, we propose a gain-scheduling LQR-based ATS controller. In the design of the proposed ATS controller, at each operating point, the ATS controller is designed using the LQR technique. At an operating point between two established adjacent operating points, the control gain matrix of the controller is determined using an interpolation method. To further improve the directional performance of the car-trailer combination, the weighting matrices of the LQR controller are determined using an optimization algorithm, namely, Generalized Differential Evolution (GDE). The effectiveness of the proposed ATS controller is demonstrated using numerical simulation based on a car-trailer model.
CitationKeldani, M., Qureshi, K., He, Y., and Liscano, R., "Design and Optimization of a Robust Active Trailer Steering System for Car-Trailer Combinations," SAE Technical Paper 2019-01-0433, 2019, https://doi.org/10.4271/2019-01-0433.
Data Sets - Support Documents
|[Unnamed Dataset 1]|
|[Unnamed Dataset 2]|
|[Unnamed Dataset 3]|
|[Unnamed Dataset 4]|
|[Unnamed Dataset 5]|
|[Unnamed Dataset 6]|
- Keldani, M. and He, Y., “Design of Electronic Stability Control (ESC) Systems for Car-trailer Combinations,” EasyChair Preprint no. 313, EasyChair, 2018, doi:10.29007/hrw2.
- Wu, D.-H., “A Theoretical Study of the Yaw/Roll Motions of a Multiple Steering Articulated Vehicle,” Proceedings of the Institution of Mechanical Engineers, Part D: Journal of Automobile Engineering 215(12):1257-1265, 2001, doi:10.1243/0954407011528798.
- Reise, H.A., “Automatic Trailer Sway Sensing and Brake Applying System,” U.S. Patent Application 06/031,091, filed March 24, 1981.
- Zhang, N., Yin, G.-D., Mi, T., Li, X.-G. et al., “Analysis of Dynamic Stability of Car-trailer Combinations with Nonlinear Damper Properties,” Procedia IUTAM 22:251-258, 2017.
- Kasselmann, J.T., Dorsett, H., and Burkett, H.J., “Sway Control Means for a Trailer,” U.S. Patent 3,948,567, issued April 6, 1976.
- Winkler, C.B., “Rollover of Heavy Commercial Vehicles,” 1999.
- Sun, T., He, Y., Esmailzadeh, E., and Ren, J., “Lateral Stability Improvement of Car-Trailer Systems Using Active Trailer Braking Control,” Journal of Mechanics Engineering and Automation 2(9):555-562, 2012.
- Mokhiamar, O., “Stabilization of Car-Caravan Combination Using Independent Steer and Drive/Or Brake Forces Distribution,” Alexandria Engineering Journal 54(3):315-324, 2015.
- Luijten, M.F.J., “Lateral Dynamic Behaviour of Articulated Commercial Vehicles,” Eindhoven University of Technology, 2010.
- Shamim, R., Islam, M.M., and He, Y., “A Comparative Study of Active Control Strategies for Improving Lateral Stability of Car-Trailer Systems,” SAE Technical Paper 2011-01-0959, 2011, doi:10.4271/2011-01-0959.
- Kalman, R.E., “Contributions to the Theory of Optimal Control,” Bol. Soc. Mat. Mexicana 5(2):102-119, 1960.
- Mohammadbagheri, A., Zaeri N., and Yaghoobi M., “Comparison Performance between PID and LQR Controllers for 4-Leg Voltage-Source Inverters,” in International Conference Circuit, System and Simulation, 2011.
- Mohammadbagheri, A. Zaeri, N., and Yaghoobi, M., “Comparison Performance Between PID and LQR Controllers for 4-Leg Voltage-Source Inverters, 2018
- Storn, R. and Price, K., “Differential Evolution-A Simple and Efficient Adaptive Scheme for Global Optimization Over Continuous Spaces [R],” ICSI, Berkeley, 1995.
- Jeyakumar, G. and Velayutham, C.S., “Distributed Mixed Variant Differential Evolution Algorithms for Unconstrained Global Optimization,” Memetic Computing 5(4):275-293, 2013.
- Deb, K., Pratap, A., Agarwal, S., and Meyarivan, T.A.M.T., “A Fast and Elitist Multiobjective Genetic Algorithm: NSGA-II,” IEEE Transactions on Evolutionary Computation 6(2):182-197, 2002.
- Deb, A., Roy, J., and Gupta, B., “Performance Comparison of Differential Evolution, Particle Swarm Optimization and Genetic Algorithm in the Design of Circularly Polarized Microstrip Antennas,” 62:3920-3928, 2014.
- Wang, Q. and He, Y., “A Study on Single Lane-Change Manoeuvres for Determining Rearward Amplification of Multi-Trailer Articulated Heavy Vehicles with Active Trailer Steering Systems,” Vehicle System Dynamics 54(1):102-123, 2016.
- Arnaud, J.P. and Cebon, D., “Optimal Roll Control of an Articulated Vehicle: Theory and Model Validation,” Vehicle System Dynamics868-893, 2011.