This content is not included in your SAE MOBILUS subscription, or you are not logged in.
A Study of the Performance of Automatic Emergency Braking (AEB) Systems Equipped on Passenger Vehicles for Model Years 2013 to 2018
ISSN: 0148-7191, e-ISSN: 2688-3627
Published April 2, 2019 by SAE International in United States
This content contains downloadable datasetsAnnotation ability available
Over the past decade, manufacturers have introduced vehicles equipped with Automatic Emergency Braking (AEB) into the North American market. These vehicles have the capability to not only detect an impending collision and warn the driver, but also to initiate braking independent of the driver. The collision avoidance strategies used by the various manufacturers have not been studied extensively. In 2013, the Insurance Institute for Highway Safety (IIHS) began testing vehicles equipped with AEB in rear-end collision situations in order to issue their front crash prevention safety ratings for these vehicles. To date, over 180 vehicles from 31 manufactures spanning model years 2013 to 2018 have been tested. This paper presents an analysis of the data collected in these tests. The objective of the study was to assess the differences in performance and strategies used, at two different closing speeds, between manufacturers. The difference in strategies included differences in braking rates and timing of the onset of braking. With more vehicles being equipped with AEB systems each year, this study will be a valuable resource for collision reconstructionists to understand the performance of these systems.
CitationMiholjcic, D., Fabbroni, M., and Robinson, R., "A Study of the Performance of Automatic Emergency Braking (AEB) Systems Equipped on Passenger Vehicles for Model Years 2013 to 2018," SAE Technical Paper 2019-01-0416, 2019, https://doi.org/10.4271/2019-01-0416.
Data Sets - Support Documents
|[Unnamed Dataset 1]|
|[Unnamed Dataset 2]|
|[Unnamed Dataset 3]|
|[Unnamed Dataset 4]|
|[Unnamed Dataset 5]|
|[Unnamed Dataset 6]|
|[Unnamed Dataset 7]|
|[Unnamed Dataset 8]|
|[Unnamed Dataset 9]|
- Ono, R., Ike, W., and Fukaya, Y., “Pre-Collision System for Toyota Safety Sense,” SAE Technical Paper 2016-01-1458, 2016, doi:10.4271/2016-01-1458.
- Yang, M., Xing, P., Flynn, T., Tsuge, B. et al., “The Effect of Target Features on Toyota’s Autonomous Emergency Braking System,” SAE Technical Paper 2018-01-0533, 2018, doi:10.4271/2018-01-0533.
- SAE Surface Vehicle Recommended Practice J3087, “Automatic Emergency Braking (AEB) System Performance Testing,” 2017.
- “Autonomous Emergency Braking Test Protocol (Version I),” Insurance Institute for Highway Safety, October 2013.
- “SAE Surface Vehicle Information Report: Active Safety Systems Terms & Definitions,” November 2015.
- Bartlett, W. and Wright, W., “Braking on Dry Pavement and Gravel With and Without ABS,” SAE Technical Paper 2010-01-0066, 2010, doi:10.4271/2010-01-0066.