This content is not included in your SAE MOBILUS subscription, or you are not logged in.
Passenger Vehicle Response and Damage Characteristics of Front and Rear Structures during Low- to Moderate-Speed Impacts
ISSN: 0148-7191, e-ISSN: 2688-3627
Published April 02, 2019 by SAE International in United States
This content contains downloadable datasetsAnnotation ability available
A significant number of vehicle-to-vehicle collisions involve front-to-rear impacts at low- to moderate-speeds. While a variety of studies have been conducted since the 1990s involving fore-aft collisions, those discussing the response of late model passenger vehicles during progressively more severe impacts are limited. In this study, four inline, front-rear tests were conducted using two midsize sedans of the same make, model, and year. An instrumented Hybrid III 50th percentile-male Anthropomorphic Test Device (ATD) was located in the driver seat of each sedan and was restrained using the standard three-point seat belt system. Instrumentation on the vehicles included tri-axis accelerometers and seat belt load cells.
For each test, the centerlines of the vehicles were aligned, and the striking vehicle impacted the stationary target vehicle at closing speeds of 4.6, 7.9, 13.5, and 20.9 mph (7.4, 12.7, 21.7, and 33.6 kph). The front and rear bumper covers were removed to allow the response of the bumper systems to be observed during the impact. Vehicle and ATD data were recorded using on-board data acquisition while on- and off-board real-time and high-speed video cameras captured each test from varying perspectives. In addition, post-impact deformation was quantified from three-dimensional scan data and photographs.
Data evaluated included vehicle accelerations, change in velocity (Delta-V), restitution, and energy dissipation. Force-displacement curves were developed and compared, and progression of vehicle damage was discussed. Finally, the accuracy of frontal stiffness characteristics derived from barrier testing for predicting energy dissipation in low- to moderate-speed collisions was assessed.
CitationCrosby, C., Skiera, J., Bare, C., Como, S. et al., "Passenger Vehicle Response and Damage Characteristics of Front and Rear Structures during Low- to Moderate-Speed Impacts," SAE Technical Paper 2019-01-0415, 2019, https://doi.org/10.4271/2019-01-0415.
Data Sets - Support Documents
|Unnamed Dataset 1|
|Unnamed Dataset 2|
|Unnamed Dataset 3|
|Unnamed Dataset 4|
|Unnamed Dataset 5|
|Unnamed Dataset 6|
|Unnamed Dataset 7|
|Unnamed Dataset 8|
- Goodwin , V. , Martin , D. , Sackett , R. , Schaefer , G. et al. Vehicle and Occupant Response in Low Speed Car to Barrier Override Impacts SAE Technical Paper 1999-01-0442 1999 10.4271/1999-01-0442
- Szabo , T. and Welcher , J. Dynamics of Low Speed Crash Tests with Energy Absorbing Bumpers SAE Technical Paper 921573 1992 10.4271/921573
- Kerkhoff , J. , Husher , S. , Varat , M. , Busenga , A. et al. An Investigation into Vehicle Frontal Impact Stiffness, BEV and Repeated Testing for Reconstruction SAE Technical Paper 930899 1993 10.4271/930899
- Ojalvo , I. and Yanowitz , H. Vehicle and Occupant Response to Low Speed Impact: Comparison of Analysis with Test and Parametric Study SAE Technical Paper 980300 1998 10.4271/980300
- Howard , R. , Bomar , J. , and Bare , C. Vehicle Restitution Response in Low Velocity Collisions SAE Technical Paper 931842 1993 10.4271/931842
- Braun , T. , Jhoun , J. , Braun , M. , Wong , B. et al. Rear-End Impact Testing with Human Test Subjects SAE Technical Paper 2001-01-0168 2001 10.4271/2001-01-0168
- Tanner , C. , Wiechel , J. , Bixel , R. , Cheng , P. et al. Coefficients of Restitution for Low and Moderate Speed Impacts with Non-Standard Impact Configurations SAE Technical Paper 2001-01-0891 2001 10.4271/2001-01-0891
- Heinrichs , B. , Lawrence , J. , Allin , B. , Bowler , J. et al. Low-Speed Impact Testing of Pickup Truck Bumpers SAE Technical Paper 2001-01-0893 2001 10.4271/2001-01-0893
- Durisek , N. , Tanner , C. , Chen , H. , and Guenther , D. Vehicle Characterization through Pole Impact Testing, Part I: Vehicle Response in Terms of Acceleration Pulses SAE Technical Paper 2004-01-1210 2004 10.4271/2004-01-1210
- Durisek , N. , Tandy , K. , Claussen , J. , Tanner , C. et al. Vehicle Characterization through Pole Impact Testing, Part II: Analysis of Center and Offset Center Impacts SAE Technical Paper 2005-01-1186 2005 10.4271/2005-01-1186
- Bonugli , E. , Watson , R. , Freund , M. , and Wirth , J. Expanded Characterization of Force-Deflection Properties of Vehicle-To-Vehicle Systems SAE Technical Paper 2017-01-1417 2017 10.4271/2017-01-1417
- Scott , W. , Bain , C. , Manoogian , S. , and Cormier , J. Simulation Model for Low-Speed Bumper-To-Bumper Crashes SAE Int. J. Passeng. Cars - Mech. Syst. 3 1 21 36 2010 10.4271/2010-01-0051
- Scott , W. , Bonugli , E. , Guzman , H. , and Swartzendruber , D. Reconstruction of Low-Speed Crashes Using the Quasi-Static Force Vs. Deformation Characteristics of the Bumpers Involved in the Crashes SAE Int. J. Passeng. Cars - Mech. Syst. 5 1 592 611 2012 10.4271/2012-01-0598
- Funk , J. , Bonugli , E. , Guzman , H. , and Freund , M. Comparison of Quasistatic Bumper Testing and Dynamic Full Vehicle Testing for Reconstructing Low Speed Collisions SAE Int. J. Passeng. Cars - Mech. Syst. 7 3 1036 1086 2014 10.4271/2014-01-0481
- Bare , C. , Peterson , D. , Marine , M. , and Welsh , K. Energy Dissipation in High Speed Frontal Collisions SAE Technical Paper 2013-01-0770 2013 10.4271/2013-01-0770
- Pleskot , K. Automobile Magazine https://www.automobilemag.com/news/toyota-camry-wins-2014-midsize-sedan-sales-race/
- Feuerstein , D. , Parker , K. , and Boutelle , M. Practical Methods for Noise Removal: Applications to Spikes, Nonstationary Quasi-Periodic Noise, and Baseline Drift Analytical Chemistry 81 12 4987 4994 2009 10.1021/ac900161x
- Cipriani , A. , Bayan , F. , Woodhouse , M. , Cornetto , A. et al. Low Speed Collinear Impact Severity: A Comparison between Full Scale Testing and Analytical Prediction Tools with Restitution Analysis SAE Technical Paper 2002-01-0540 2002 10.4271/2002-01-0540
- Antonetti , V. Estimating the Coefficient of Restitution of Vehicle-To-Vehicle Bumper Impacts SAE Technical Paper 980552 1998 10.4271/980552
- Campbell , K. Energy Basis for Collision Severity SAE Technical Paper 740565 1974 10.4271/740565
- Strother , C. , Woolley , R. , James , M. , and Warner , C. Crush Energy in Accident Reconstruction SAE Technical Paper 860371 1986 10.4271/860371
- U.S. Department of Transportation National Highway Traffic Safety Administration