Analysis of Whole Body Vibration of a Two-Wheeler Rider
Published April 2, 2019 by SAE International in United States
Downloadable datasets for this paper availableAnnotation of this paper is available
Two-wheel motorcycles are preferred in many countries as they have some merits such as cheaper, easy to handle and give higher fuel economy compared to three and four-wheel vehicles. Majority of the population in India falls under low and middle-income groups. Two-wheelers cater to the needs of low and middle-income users, and fill the gaps when public transport systems are inefficient or not available. Most of the people in India use motorcycles for transportation. However, due to different road conditions, motorcycle rider experiences different health effects within a few years of their vehicle travel. This paper investigates the effect of vibration on a man commuter’s health. For this purpose, a mathematical model of a male rider’s body was considered, and a numerical analysis was carried out to assess the effect of vibration acting on the commuter during a two-wheeler ride under various road conditions for a chosen suspension system and presented in this paper. Road conditions were chosen based on the different surface roughness values. The most affected rider’s body part due to the vibration of the two-wheeler was determined from the results. The results presented in this paper can be useful in understanding the vibrations induced in the human body while riding a two-wheeler at a particular velocity on a specific road surface.
CitationEluri, K., Reddy, V., Sivalingam, M., and PS, B., "Analysis of Whole Body Vibration of a Two-Wheeler Rider," SAE Technical Paper 2019-01-0406, 2019, https://doi.org/10.4271/2019-01-0406.
Data Sets - Support Documents
|[Unnamed Dataset 1]|
|[Unnamed Dataset 2]|
|[Unnamed Dataset 3]|
|[Unnamed Dataset 4]|
|[Unnamed Dataset 5]|
|[Unnamed Dataset 6]|
|[Unnamed Dataset 7]|
|[Unnamed Dataset 8]|
|[Unnamed Dataset 9]|
- Quadros, J.D., Suhas, V.N.L., and Shilpa, B., “Study of Vibration and Its Effects on Health of a Two Wheeler Rider,” IJRET 2(08), 2013.
- Milosavljevic, S., Bergman, F., Rehn, B., and Carman, A.B., “All-Terrain Vehicle Use in Agriculture: Exposure to Whole Body Vibration and Mechanical Shock,” Applied Ergonomics 41(4):530-535, 2009.
- Chen, H.-C., Chen, W.-C., Liu, Y.-P., Chen, C.-Y., and Pan, Y.-T., “Whole-Body Vibration Exposure Experienced by Motorcycle Riders - An Evaluation According to ISO 2631-1 and ISO 26315 Standards,” International Journal of Industrial Ergonomics 39:708-718, 2009.
- Naidu, M.K., Srinivasa Rao, S., and Tejesh, T., “Ride Analysis of Three Wheeled Vehicle Using MATLAB/Simulink,” AMAE Int. J. on Manufacturing and Material Science 02(01), May 2012.
- Min-Soo, P.A.R.K., Takabumi, F.U.K.U.D.A., Tae-gu, K.I.M., and Setsuo, “MAEDA Health Risk Evaluation of Whole-body Vibration by ISO 2631-5 and ISO 2631-1 for Operators of Agricultural Tractors and Recreational Vehicles,” J. of Industrial Health 51(3):364-370, 2013.
- Wolfgang, R. and Burgess-Limerick, R., “Whole-Body Vibration Exposure of Haul Truck Drivers at a Surface Coal Mine,” Applied Ergonomics 45:1700-1704, 2014.
- Blood, O.T.R.P., Ching, R.P., Boyle, L., and Johnson, P.W., “Whole Body Vibration Exposures in Bus Drivers: A Comparison between a High-Floor Coach and a Low-Floor City Bus,” International Journal of Industrial Ergonomics 43:9-17, 2013.
- Sinha, G.P. and Bajaj, P.S., “Vibration Analysis of Hero Honda Vehicle,” IJMPE 2(2):30-35, 2014.
- Gorges, C., Öztürk, K., and Liebich, R., “Road Classification for Two-Wheeled Vehicles,” Vehicle System Dynamics 56(8):1289-1314, 2018, doi:10.1080/00423114.2017.1413197.
- Agostinacchio, M., Ciampa, D., and Olita, S., “The Vibrations Induced by Surface Irregularities in Road Pavements - A Matlab® Approach,” Eur. Transp. Res. Rev. 6:267-275, 2014, doi:10.1007/s12544-013-0127-8.
- Attaway, S., “Matlab: A Practical Introduction to Programming and Problem Solving Paperback - Import,” Jul 19, 2013.
- Viruet, H.B., “Effect of Forklift Operation on Lower Back Pain - An Evidence-Based Approach,” Ph.D thesis, University of Cincinnati, 2008, Available at http://etd.ohiolink. edu/etd/sendpdf. cgi/BarrieraViruet heriberto.pdf Accessed May 12th, 2008.
- Amirouche, F.M.L., “Modeling of Human Reactions to Whole-Body Vibration,” Journal of Biomechanical Engineering 3:210-217, 1987.
- Yoshida, S.M.M.H., Kazuhito, M.J., Inaba, M.R., and Iwata, H., “Assessment of Hand-Arm Vibration Exposure among Traffic Police Motorcyclists,” International Archives of occupational and Environmental Health 70(1):22-28, 1997.
- Sanders, M.S. and McCormick, E.J., Human Factors in Engineering and Design 7th Edition (McGraw-Hill International Edition, 1993), 627-634.
- Mirbod, S.M. et al., “Assessment of Hand-Arm Vibration Exposure among Traffic Police Motorcyclists,” International Archives of Occupational and Environmental Health 70:22-28, 1997.
- Coermann, R.R., “The Mechanical Impedance of the Human Body in Sitting and Standing Position at Low Frequencies,” Human Factors 227-253, October 1962.
- Wan, Y. and Schimmels, J.M., “A Simple Model that Captures the Essential Dynamics of a Seated Human Exposed to Whole Body Vibration,” Advances in Bioengineering ASME 31:333-334, 1995.
- Boileau, P.E. and Rakheja, S., “Whole-Body Vertical Biodynamic Response Characteristics of the Seated Vehicle Driver: Measurement and Model Development,” International Journal of Industrial Ergonomics 22(6):449-472, 1998.
- Patil, M.K., Palanichamy, M.S., and Dhanjoo, N.G., “Minimization of the Verticale Vibrations Sustained by a Tractor Operator, By Provision of a Standard-Type Tractor Seat Suspension,” ANNALS of Biomedical Engineering 6:138-153, 1978.
- Abbas, W., Abouelatta, O.B., El-Azab, M., Elsaidy, M., and Megahed, A.A., “Optimization of Biodynamic Seated Human Models Using Genetic Algorithms,” SCIRP Journal of Engineering 2:710-719, 2010.
- Benjamin Ndimila .W.; Bashira Majaja. A.; Erasto Elias and Noel Nalitolela .G., “Investigation of Motorcycle Design Improvements with Respect to Whole Body Vibration Exposure to the Rider,” Journal of Multidisciplinary Engineering Science and Technology (JMEST) 23, March 2015, ISSN: 3159-0040.
- Abbas, W., Emam, A., Badran, S., Shebl, M., and Aboulatta, O., (2013), “Optimal Seat and Suspension Design for a Half-Car with Driver Model Using Genetic Algorithm, Intelligent Control and Automation,” Scientific Research 4:199-205. http://www.scirp.org/journal/ica, retrieved on Tuesday 29th October, 2013.