This content is not included in your SAE MOBILUS subscription, or you are not logged in.
Study and Analysis of the Behavior of a Seated Human Body in a Vehicle by the Influence of an Active Suspension System
ISSN: 0148-7191, e-ISSN: 2688-3627
Published April 2, 2019 by SAE International in United States
This content contains downloadable datasetsAnnotation ability available
The objective of this paper is to study the influence of a suspension system on the human body with the effect of the controller behavior. For this work, 2-Degree of Freedom (DoF) quarter car suspension system with 4 DoF seated human body is modeled. The mathematical equation is developed by using a lumped mass parameter method. Governing equations of motions are generated by Newton’s Law of motion. Random road profile is also considered for this study. MATLAB/SIMULINK software is used to simulate the system results and system analysis is limited to a Proportional Integral Derivative (PID) controller with hydraulic actuator. Seat to Head transmissibility ratio of the active suspension system is analyzed and compared with the passive suspension system. Finally, to illustrate the effectiveness of the proposed active system, simulated results are compared with ISO 2631 comfort curves. Therefore the result shows that the PID based active suspension system improves the ride comfort of the occupant when compared with passive suspension.
CitationAnandan, A. and K, A., "Study and Analysis of the Behavior of a Seated Human Body in a Vehicle by the Influence of an Active Suspension System," SAE Technical Paper 2019-01-0403, 2019, https://doi.org/10.4271/2019-01-0403.
Data Sets - Support Documents
|[Unnamed Dataset 1]|
|[Unnamed Dataset 2]|
|[Unnamed Dataset 3]|
|[Unnamed Dataset 4]|
|[Unnamed Dataset 5]|
- Rajamani, R. , Vehicle Dynamics and Control (Springer Science & Business Media, 2011).
- Senthil Kumar, M. and Vijayarangan, S. , “Analytical and Experimental Studies on Active Suspension System of a Light Passenger Vehicle to Improve Ride Comfort,” MECHANIKA Nr.3 65:34-41, 2007.
- Patil, S.A. and Joshi, S.G. , “Experimental Analysis of 2 DOF Quarter-Car Passive and Hydraulic Active Suspension Systems for Ride Comfort,” Systems Science & Control Engineering: An Open Access Journal 2(1):621-631, 2014.
- Joe, D.S., and Al-Holou, N. , “Development and Evaluation of Fuzzy Logic Controller for Vehicle Suspension Systems,” in System Theory, 1995, Proceedings of the Twenty-Seventh Southeastern Symposium on, 295-299, IEEE, 1995.
- Yildirim, Ş. , “Vibration Control of Suspension Systems Using a Proposed Neural Network,” Journal of Sound and Vibration 277(4-5):1059-1069, 2004.
- Hrovat, D. , “Influence of Unsprung Weight on Vehicle Ride Quality,” Journal of Sound and Vibration 124(3):497-516, 1988.
- Sam, Y., Ghani, M., and Ahmad, N. , “LQR Controller for Active Car Suspension,” in TENCON 2000 Proceedings, vol. 1, 441-444,IEEE, 2000.
- Kumar, M.S. and Vijayarangan, S. , “Design of LQR Controller for Active Suspension System,” Indian Journal of Engineering and Materials Sciences 13:173-179, 2006.
- Kumar, M.S. , “Development of Active Suspension System for Automobiles Using PID Controller,” Proceedings of the World Congress on Engineering II, 2008.
- Gohari, M. and Tahmasebi, M. , “Active Off-Road Seat Suspension System Using Intelligent Active Force Control,” Journal of Low Frequency Noise, Vibration and Active Control 34(4):475-489, 2015.
- Du, H., Li, W., and Zhang, N. , “Integrated Seat and Suspension Control for a Quarter Car with Driver Model,” IEEE transactions on vehicular technology 61(9):3893-3908, 2012.
- Ning, D., Sun, S., Li, H., Du, H., and Li, W. , “Active Control of an Innovative Seat Suspension System with Acceleration Measurement Based Friction Estimation,” Journal of Sound and Vibration 384:28-44, 2016.
- Ning, D., Sun, S., Zhang, J., Du, H. et al. , “An Active Seat Suspension Design for Vibration Control of Heavy-Duty Vehicles,” Journal of Low Frequency Noise, Vibration and Active Control 35(4):264-278, 2016.
- Gan, Z., Hillis, A.J., and Darling, J. , “Adaptive Control of an Active Seat for Occupant Vibration Reduction,” Journal of Sound and Vibration 349:39-55, 2015.
- Rahmatalla, S. and DeShaw, J. , “Effective Seat-to-Head Transmissibility in Whole-Body Vibration: Effects of Posture and Arm Position,” Journal of Sound and Vibration 330(25):6277-6286, 2011.
- Liang, C.-C. and Chiang, C.-F. , “A Study on Biodynamic Models of Seated Human Subjects Exposed to Vertical Vibration,” International Journal of Industrial Ergonomics 36(10):869-890, 2006.
- Merritt, H., Merritt, H.E., and Merritt, H.E. , Hydraulic Control Systems (John Wiley & Sons, 1967).
- Kuznetsov, A., Mammadov, M., Sultan, I., and Hajilarov, E. , “Optimization of a Quarter-Car Suspension Model Coupled with the Driver Biomechanical Effects,” Journal of Sound and Vibration 330(12):2937-2946, 2011.
- Rizvi, S.M.H., Abid, M., Khan, A.Q., Satti, S.G., and Latif, J. , “H∞ Control of 8 degrees of Freedom Vehicle Active Suspension System,” Journal of King Saud University-Engineering Sciences 30(2):161-169, 2018.
- Tyan, F., Hong, Y.-F., Tu, S.-H., and Jeng, W.S. , “Generation of Random Road Profiles,” Journal of Advanced Engineering 4(2):1373-1378, 2009.
- Rakheja, S., Dong, R.G., Patra, S., Boileau, P.-É. et al. , “Biodynamics of the Human Body under Whole-Body Vibration: Synthesis of the Reported Data,” International Journal of Industrial Ergonomics 40(6):710-732, 2010.