This content is not included in your SAE MOBILUS subscription, or you are not logged in.
Development of an Automated Seat Dimension Evaluation System
ISSN: 0148-7191, e-ISSN: 2688-3627
Published April 02, 2019 by SAE International in United States
Annotation ability available
The dimensions of an automobile seat are important factors affecting a driver’s seating comfort, fit, and satisfaction. In this regard, seat engineers put forth tremendous efforts to evaluate the dimensions of a product seat until the dimensions are consistent with the design reference in a computer aided design (CAD). However, the existing evaluation process is heavily reliant on seat engineers’ manual tasks which are highly repetitive, labor intensive, and time-demanding tasks. The objective of this study is to develop an automated system that can efficiently and accurately evaluate seat products by comparing estimated seat dimensions from a CAD model or a 3D scan model. By using the developed system, the evaluation time for comparing 18 seat dimensions on CAD and scan models has been substantially reduced to less than one minute, which is 99% time saving compared to two hours in the manual process. In addition, the seat dimensions can be more repeatedly measured than manual measurements by using developed computer-based algorithms. In conclusion, the developed system is particularly useful for quantitatively controlling the quality of manufactured seat products and for constructing a database of seat dimensions for better data management and benchmarking with other vehicle seats.
CitationPark, J., Park, B., Lee, B., Lee, B. et al., "Development of an Automated Seat Dimension Evaluation System," SAE Technical Paper 2019-01-0401, 2019, https://doi.org/10.4271/2019-01-0401.
- Iterative Closest Point n.d. https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Iterative_closest_point 2018
- Jones , M. , Park , J. , Ebert , S. , Kim , H. et al. Statistical Models to Predict Seat Pressure in Automotive Seats SAE Congress 2017
- Park , J. , Kim , H. , Jones , M. , Ebert , S. et al. Development of an Automatic Seat-Dimension Extraction System SAE Technical Paper 2016-01-1429 2016 2016 10.4271/2016-01-1429
- SAE International Surface Vehicle Recommended Practice Motor Vehicle Dimensions SAE Standard J1100 2009
- SAE International Surface Vehicle Recommended Practice Motor Vehicle Seat Dimensions SAE Standard J2732 2008