This content is not included in your SAE MOBILUS subscription, or you are not logged in.
Feasibility Analysis of Taxi Fleet Electrification using 4.9 Million Miles of Real-World Driving Data
ISSN: 0148-7191, e-ISSN: 2688-3627
Published April 02, 2019 by SAE International in United States
This content contains downloadable datasetsAnnotation ability available
Ride hailing activity is rapidly increasing, largely due to the growth of transportation network companies such as Uber and Lyft. However, traditional taxi companies continue to represent an important mobility option for travelers. Columbus Yellow Cab, a taxi company in Columbus, Ohio, offers traditional line-of-sight hailing as well as digital hailing through a mobile app. Data from Columbus Yellow Cab was provided to the National Renewable Energy Laboratory to analyze the potential for taxi electrification. Columbus Yellow Cab data contained information describing both global positioning system trajectories and taxi meter information. The data spanned a period of 13 months, containing approximately 70 million global system positioning system points, 840 thousand trips, and 170 unique vehicles. A variety of scenarios were evaluated using Columbus Yellow Cab data and the Electric Vehicle Infrastructure Projection Tool (EVI-Pro) to understand challenges and opportunities associated with operating an electrified taxi fleet. Two main factors-access to home charging and vehicle specifications-are shown to be major variables affecting successful electric fleet operation. The analysis indicates that 95.7% of taxi travel days can be successfully completed by a 250-mile-range electric vehicle assuming access to overnight and public charging infrastructure. However, when no overnight access is available to fleet vehicles, only 39.9% of taxi travel days are possible with 250-mile range electric vehicles. An additional scenario, reducing the vehicle range from 250 miles to 100 miles (while controlling for infrastructure access and permitting overnight charging) resulted in only 34.4% of taxi travel days being completed.
CitationMoniot, M., Rames, C., and Burrell, E., "Feasibility Analysis of Taxi Fleet Electrification using 4.9 Million Miles of Real-World Driving Data," SAE Technical Paper 2019-01-0392, 2019, https://doi.org/10.4271/2019-01-0392.
Data Sets - Support Documents
|Unnamed Dataset 1|
|Unnamed Dataset 2|
- Fast Facts U.S. Transportation Sector Greenhouse Gas Emissions 1990 - 2016 Office of Transportation and Air Quality 2018 https://nepis.epa.gov/Exe/ZyPDF.cgi?Dockey=P100USI5.pdf
- California State Legislature Cooper (A): AB-615 Air Quality Improvement Program: Clean Vehicle Rebate Project California 2017 http://leginfo.legislature.ca.gov/faces/billNavClient.xhtml?bill_id=201720180AB615
- Governor’s Press Office Governor Cuomo Announces $250 Million Initiative to Expand Electric Vehicle Infrastructure Across New York State 2018 https://www.governor.ny.gov/news/governor-cuomo-announces-250-million-initiative-expand-electric-vehicle-infrastructure-across
- California Public Utilities Commission CPUC Approval of Utility Projects Keeps California at Forefront of Transportation Electrification 2018 http://docs.cpuc.ca.gov/PublishedDocs/Published/G000/M215/K467/215467739.PDF
- Wenzel , T. , Rames , C. , Kontou , E. , and Henao , A.
- Tefft , B. C. 2018 http://aaafoundation.org/wp-content/uploads/2018/02/18-0019_AAAFTS-ADS-Research-Brief.pdf
- California State Legislature Skinner (S): SB-1014 California Clean Miles Standard and Incentive Program: zero-emission vehicles California 2018 https://leginfo.legislature.ca.gov/faces/billCompareClient.xhtml?bill_id=201720180SB1014
- Nelson , L. Uber and Lyft Have Devastated L.a.’s Taxi Industry, City Records Show Los Angeles Times 2016 http://www.latimes.com/local/lanow/la-me-ln-uber-lyft-taxis-la-20160413-story.html
- City Council of the City of Austin An Ordinance Amending City Code Chapter 13-2 (Ground Transportation Passenger Services) Related to Regulation of Taxicabs and Limousines, and Repealing Certain Requirements Related to Taxicabs and Taxicab Franchises Texas 2018 http://www.austintexas.gov/edims/document.cfm?id=301222
- New York City Taxi and Limousine Commission New York Taxi and Limousine Commission Resolution Approving Pilot Program to Allow Licensed E-Hail Apps to Offer Flexible Fares in Taxicabs 2018 http://www.nyc.gov/html/tlc/downloads/pdf/flex_fare_resolution_03_29.pdf
- Wood , E. , Rames , C. , Muratori , M. , Raghaven S. et al. Charging Electric Vehicles in Smart Cities: An EVI-Pro Analysis of Columbus, Ohio 2018 https://www.nrel.gov/docs/fy18osti/70367.pdf
- Wood , E. , Rames , C. , Muratori , M. , Raghavan , S. et al. National Plug-In Electric Vehicle Infrastructure Analysis Report from the US DOE Office of Energy Efficiency and Renewable Energy 2017 https://www.nrel.gov/docs/fy17osti/69031.pdf
- Wood , E. , Raghavan , S. , Rames , C. , Eichman , J. et al. Regional Charging Infrastructure for Plug-in Electric Vehicles: A Case Study of Massachusetts 2017 https://www.nrel.gov/docs/fy17osti/67436.pdf