This content is not included in your SAE MOBILUS subscription, or you are not logged in.
Quantifying the Effect of Initialization Errors for Enabling Accurate Online Drivetrain Simulations
ISSN: 0148-7191, e-ISSN: 2688-3627
Published April 02, 2019 by SAE International in United States
Annotation ability available
Simulations conducted on-board in a vehicle control module can offer valuable information to control strategies. Continued improvements to on-board computing hardware make online simulations of complex dynamic systems such as drivetrains within reach. This capability enables predictions of the system response to various control actions and disturbances. Implementation of online simulations requires model initialization that is consistent with the physical drivetrain state. However, sensor signals and estimated variables are susceptible to errors, compromising the accuracy of the initialization and any future state predictions as the simulation proceeds through the numerical integration process. This paper describes a drivetrain modeling and analysis method that accounts for initialization errors, thereby enabling accurate simulations of system behaviors. First, the hybrid dynamical system paradigm is employed to develop a torsional drivetrain model that captures the dynamics during a gear shift. The model is constructed in an analytical form and linearized to enable online mathematical analysis. Then a methodology is introduced to quantify the effect of initialization errors online. Finally, a procedure to systematically account for initialization errors is discussed. The outcome of this study demonstrates the capability for enabling accurate online simulations in the presence of sensor and state estimation errors in drivetrain applications and beyond.
CitationYang, H., Kidambi, N., Wang, K., Pietron, G. et al., "Quantifying the Effect of Initialization Errors for Enabling Accurate Online Drivetrain Simulations," SAE Technical Paper 2019-01-0347, 2019, https://doi.org/10.4271/2019-01-0347.
- Davis , W.J. Banks J. On-Line Simulation: Need and Evolving Research Requirements John Wiley & Sons, Inc. 1998 465 516 10.1016/S0278-6125(99)90111-5 9780471134039
- Hotz , I. , Hanisch , A. , and Schulze , T. Simulation-Based Early Warning Systems as a Practical Approach for the Automotive Industry Proceedings of the 2006 Winter Simulation Conference, Winter Simulation Conference Monterey, CA 2006 1962 1970
- Rajkumar , R. , Lee , I.L.I. , Sha , L.S.L. , and Stankovic , J. Cyber-Physical Systems: The Next Computing Revolution Design Automation Conference (DAC), 2010 47th ACM/IEEE, IEEE Anaheim, CA 2010 731 736 10.1145/1837274.1837461 978-1-4244-6677-1
- Bergmann , S. , Stelzer , S. , and Straßburger , S. Initialization of Simulation Models Using CMSD Proceedings of the Winter Simulation Conference, Winter Simulation Conference Phoenix, AZ 2011 2228 2239 10.1109/WSC.2011.6147934 9781457721083
- Hanisch , A. , Tolujew , J. , and Schulze , T. Initialization of Online Simulation Models Proceedings of the Winter Simulation Conference, 2005, IEEE Orlando, FL 2005 1795 1803 10.1109/WSC.2005.1574454 0780395204
- Fathy , H.K. , Filipi , Z.S. , Hagena , J. , and Stein , J.L. Review of Hardware-In-The-Loop Simulation and its Prospects in the Automotive Area Proc. SPIE 6228, Modeling and Simulation for Military Applications 2006 10.1117/12.667794 0819462845
- Cook , J.A. , Kolmanovsky , I.V. , McNamara , D. , Nelson , E.C. et al. Control, Computing and Communications: Technologies for the Twenty-First Century Model T Proc. IEEE 95 2 334 355 2007 10.1109/JPROC.2006.888384
- Wang , L. , Zhang , Y. , Yin , C. , Zhang , H. et al. Hardware-In-The-Loop Simulation for the Design and Verification of the Control System of a Series-Parallel Hybrid Electric City-Bus Simul. Model. Pract. Theory 25 148 162 2012 10.1016/j.simpat.2012.02.010
- Pietron , G.M. , Fujii , Y. , Kucharski , J. , Yanakiev , D. et al. Development of Magneto-Elastic Torque Sensor for Automatic Transmission Applications SAE Int. J. Passeng. Cars - Mech. Syst. 6 2 529 534 2013 10.4271/2013-01-0301
- Marano , J. , Moorman , S. , Czoykowski , J. , and Ghike , C. Automatic Transmission Rotational Inertia Effect on Shift Quality SAE Technical Paper 2011-01-0393 2011 10.4271/2011-01-0393
- Hrovat , D. and Tobler , W.E. Bond Graph Modeling and Computer Simulation of Automotive Torque Converters J. Franklin Inst. 319 1-2 93 114 1985 10.1016/0016-0032(85)90067-5
- Kotwicki , A.J. Dynamic Models for Torque Converter Equipped Vehicles SAE Technical Paper 820393 1982 10.4271/820393
- Borrelli , F. , Bemporad , A. , and Morari , M. Predictive Control for Linear and Hybrid Systems Cambridge University Press 2017
- Yanakiev , D. , Fujii , Y. , Tseng , E. , Pietron , G.M. , et al. Torque Phase Shift Control Based on Clutch Torque Estimation ASME 2013 Dynamic Systems and Control Conference, ASME Palo Alto, CA 2013 10.1115/DSCC2013-3868
- Bay , J. Fundamentals of Linear State Space Systems First McGraw-Hill Higher Education 1999 978-0256246391