This content is not included in your SAE MOBILUS subscription, or you are not logged in.
Design, Analysis and Optimization of Parking Pawl Mechanism using ADAMS
ISSN: 0148-7191, e-ISSN: 2688-3627
Published April 02, 2019 by SAE International in United States
This content contains downloadable datasetsAnnotation ability available
A vehicle with automatic transmission is fitted with a parking pawl mechanism to avoid the risk posed by unintended vehicle movement. The system has to be robust enough to function safely even in poor tolerance situations, under extreme temperatures and rigorous durability tests. Thorough study is required in the design and approval of a parking mechanism. Because of the limited research publications in this area, general design practice has been based on heuristic understanding and a build-and-test approach. The combination of physical tests and virtual modeling holds great potential for accelerating and enhancing vehicle development processes.
In this paper, an ADAMS model capable of designing, predicting, and optimizing the dynamic characteristics of the parking pawl mechanism is presented. Axiomatic design theory is used to synthesize design solutions in order to satisfy the key requirement of the system. The virtual model is correlated to the test data to establish accurate loads for structural analysis, and provide insight into various design parameters relevant to the durability of the parking mechanism.
CitationRoy, N. and Ba, J., "Design, Analysis and Optimization of Parking Pawl Mechanism using ADAMS," SAE Technical Paper 2019-01-0336, 2019, https://doi.org/10.4271/2019-01-0336.
Data Sets - Support Documents
|Unnamed Dataset 1|
- Jeyakumaran , J. and Zhang , N. Dynamic Analysis of an Automatic Transmission Parking Mechanism ICTAM 2008 Australia 2008
- Barclay , D. 2016
- Rozaini , A.H. , Ishak , M.R. , Abu Bakar , A.R. , and Mohd Zain , M.Z. Performance of a Fully Mechanical Parking Brake System for Passenger Cars IOP Conference Series: Materials Science and Engineering 50 1 2013
- Federal Motor Vehicle Safety Standards and Regulations https://www.nhtsa.gov/sites/nhtsa.dot.gov/files/fmvss-quickrefguide-hs811439.pdf 2017
- Yuan , C. and Rahman , N. Park Pawl Dynamic System Engagement Speed Calculation Using Isight SAE Technical Paper 2015-01-1363 2015 10.4271/2015-01-1363
- Fu , L. , Qiu , Z. , Chen , Y. , Luo , D. et al. Research on Safety Performance for Parking Mechanism on a 7-Speed Dual Clutch Transmission Proceedings of the FISITA 2012 World Automotive Congress 193 Berlin Springer 2013
- He , J. , Zhan , Z. , Hu , T. , and Yo , B. Design and Dynamic Simulation of the Parking System for DCT Proceedings of the International Conference on Power Transmissions Chongqing, P.R. China 2016 271 274
- Huang , Y. Park Lock Analysis Using VALDYN https://software.ricardo.com/resources/park-lock-dynamic-analysis-using-valdyn 2017
- Suh , N.P. Axiomatic Design: Advances and Applications New York Oxford University Press 2000
- MSC 2017
- Hertz , H. Gesammelte Werke Leipzig 1 1895
- Johnson , K.L. Contact Mechanics Cambridge Cambridge University Press 1985
- Plasse , B. and Norton , R. Dynamic Characterization of Microcellular Urethane Jounce Bumpers Under Impact Conditions SAE Technical Paper 1999-01-0035 1999 10.4271/1999-01-0035
- Ahmed , S.A. Computational Dynamics United Kingdom Wiley 2010