This content is not included in your SAE MOBILUS subscription, or you are not logged in.
Multi-Domain Optimization for Fuel Economy Improvement of HD Trucks
ISSN: 0148-7191, e-ISSN: 2688-3627
Published April 02, 2019 by SAE International in United States
This content contains downloadable datasetsAnnotation ability available
Fuel usage negatively impacts the environment and is a significant portion of operational costs of moving freight globally. Reducing fuel consumption is key to lessening environmental impacts and maximizing freight efficiency, thereby increasing the profit margin of logistic operators. In this paper, fuel economy improvements of a cab-over style 49T heavy duty Foton truck powered by a Cummins 12-liter engine are studied and systematically applied for the China market.
Most fuel efficiency improvements are found within the vehicle design when compared to opportunities available at the engine level. Vehicle design (improved aerodynamics), component selection/matching (low rolling resistance tires), and powertrain electronic features integration (shift schedule/electronic trim) offer the largest opportunities for lowering fuel consumption.
The powertrain features include Cummins adaptive torque modulation and transmission neutral coasting. 3D CFD (ANSYS Fluent®) was used to carry out external truck aerodynamics study, and Cummins Vehicle Mission Simulation (VMS) was used to study and optimize the powertrain integration features. A system simulation model was developed on a baseline truck and calibrated via on-road testing. An energy study quantified the contribution of aerodynamic and rolling resistance losses. Low rolling resistance tires and improved aerodynamic features were applied along with electronic powertrain features to optimize the truck design based on the analysis.
The optimized truck demonstrated approximately 20% better fuel economy than the baseline truck in the final testing. Coast-down testing and one-dimensional system simulation indicated that low rolling resistance tires, aerodynamic design, and powertrain integration features contributed 6%, 9%, and 5% of fuel economy improvement, respectively.
|Technical Paper||Drag Optimization of Light Trucks Using Computational Fluid Dynamics|
|Technical Paper||Improving Automotive Fuel Efficiency with Deturbulator Tape|
CitationLi, G., Saha, R., Yu, C., Burns, D. et al., "Multi-Domain Optimization for Fuel Economy Improvement of HD Trucks," SAE Technical Paper 2019-01-0312, 2019, https://doi.org/10.4271/2019-01-0312.
Data Sets - Support Documents
|Unnamed Dataset 1|
|Unnamed Dataset 2|
|Unnamed Dataset 3|
|Unnamed Dataset 4|
|Unnamed Dataset 5|
- Facanha , C. , Blumberg K. , and Miller J. Global Transportation Energy and Climate Roadmap: The Impact of Transportation Policies and Their Potential to Reduce Oil Consumption and Greenhouse Gas Emissions 2012 The International Council on Clean Transportation Washington, DC
- Seger , J. , Hwang , L. , Shao , J. , Grana , T. et al. Systems Engineering Approach for the Design of a Low Carbon, Fuel Efficient, Diesel Engine Powertrains for Commercial Vehicles SAE Technical Paper 2011-01-2189 2011 10.4271/2011-01-2189
- Baus , M. , Cook , A. , and Schaller , D. Integrating New Emissions Engines into Commercial Vehicles: Emissions, Performance & Affordability SAE Technical Paper 2006-01-3545 2006 10.4271/2006-01-3545
- Mihelic , R. Fuel and Freight Efficiency - Past, Present and Future Perspectives SAE Int. J. Commer. Veh. 9 2 120 216 2016 10.4271/2016-01-8020
- Eckerle , W. , Sujan , V. , and Salemme , G. Future Challenges for Engine Manufacturers in View of Future Emissions Legislation SAE Technical Paper 2017-01-1923 2017 10.4271/2017-01-1923
- Stanton , D. , Charlton , S. , and Vajapeyazula , P. Diesel Engine Technologies Enabling Powertrain Optimization to Meet U.S. Greenhouse Gas Emissions SAE Int. J. Engines 6 3 1757 1770 2013 10.4271/2013-24-0094
- Belludi , N. , Raymond , J. , Receveur , J. , and Hosagrahara , A. Cummins Vehicle Mission Simulation Tool: Software Architecture and Applications SAE Technical Paper 2010-01-1997 2010 10.4271/2010-01-1997
- SAE International Surface Vehicle Recommended Practice Fuel Consumption Test Procedure Type II SAE Standard J1321 2012
- Varnhagen , D. Electronic Horizon: A Map as a Sensor and Predictive Control SAE Technical Paper 2017-01-1945 2017 10.4271/2017-01-1945
- Tang , K. , He , L. , Zhao , Y. , Friz , H. et al. The Aerodynamic Development of a New Dongfeng Heavy Truck SAE Technical Paper 2015-01-2886 2015 10.4271/2015-01-2886
- Liao , G. , Sun , S. , Lu , K. , Fu , Q. et al. Validation Studies for an Advanced Aerodynamic Development Process of Cab-Over Type Heavy Trucks SAE Technical Paper 2017-01-7009 2017 10.4271/2017-01-7009
- Simmonds , N. , Tsoutsanis , P. , Drikakis , D. , Gaylard , A. et al. Full Vehicle Aero-Thermal Cooling Drag Sensitivity Analysis for Various Radiator Pressure Drops SAE Technical Paper 2016-01-1578 2016 10.4271/2016-01-1578
- Martini , H. , Gullberg , P. , and Lofdahl , L. Comparative Studies between CFD and Wind Tunnel Measurements of Cooling Performance and External Aerodynamics for a Heavy Truck SAE Int. J. Commer. Veh. 7 2 640 652 2014 10.4271/2014-01-2443
- Zhang , C. , Uddin , M. , Song , X. , Fu , C. et al. Simultaneous Improvement of Vehicle Under-Hood Airflow and Cooling Drag Using 3D CFD Simulation SAE Technical Paper 2016-01-0200 2016 10.4271/2016-01-0200
- SAE International Surface Vehicle Recommended Practice Guidelines for Aerodynamic Assessment of Medium and Heavy Commercial Ground Vehicle Using Computational Fluid Dynamics SAE Standard J2966 2013
- Kharazi , A. , Duell , E. , Kimbrell , A. , and Boh , A. Prediction of Flow-Induced Vibration of Vehicle Side-View Mirrors by CFD Simulation SAE Technical Paper 2015-01-1558 2015 10.4271/2015-01-1558
- McAuliffe , B. and Wall , A. Aerodynamic Performance of Flat-Panel Boat-Tails and Their Interactive Benefits with Side-Skirts SAE Int. J. Commer. Veh 9 2 2016 10.4271/2016-01-8015
- Lyu , M. , Doo , B. , and Ku , Y. A Study of Vehicle Fuel Economy Improvement Potential by Optimization of the Cooling and Ancillary Systems of a Heavy Duty Engine SAE Technical Paper 2007-01-1772 2007 10.4271/2007-01-1772
- Saha , R. , Singh , J. , Koutsavdis , E. , and Ghazialam , H. Alternate Approach: Acoustics and Cooling Performance Management SAE Technical Paper 2018-01-0084 2018 10.4271/2018-01-0084