This content is not included in your SAE MOBILUS subscription, or you are not logged in.
Investigation on Ignition of a Single Lubricating Oil Droplet in Premixed Combustible Mixture at Engine-Relevant Conditions
ISSN: 0148-7191, e-ISSN: 2688-3627
Published April 02, 2019 by SAE International in United States
Annotation ability available
The ignition of lubricating oil droplet has been proved to be the main factor for pre-ignition and the following super-knock in turbocharged gasoline direct injection engine. In this paper, the ignition process of lubricating oil droplet in combustible ambient gaseous mixture was investigated in a rapid compression machine (RCM). The pre-ignition induction by oil droplet of the ambient gaseous mixture was analyzed under different initial droplet volume and effective temperature conditions. The oil droplet was suspended on a tungsten fiber in the combustion chamber and the ignition process was recorded by a high-speed camera through the quartz window mounted at the end of the combustion chamber. The pressure traces were also obtained by a sensor in order to get the ignition delay and analyze the combustion process in detail.
The results show that with the decrease of initial droplet volume, the pre-ignition induction by oil droplet in the ambient gaseous mixture would be more remarkable. The effect of effective temperature on droplet/gas ignition is quite complex. The negative temperature coefficient (NTC) behavior makes the pre-ignition induction and pressure oscillation triggering by the oil droplet more remarkable within the moderate temperature range. The droplet would evaporate faster under higher temperature conditions, which is also benefit for pre-ignition induction by oil droplet. However, when the effective temperature is very high (at 910 K), the oil droplet would not make influence on ignition delay because the ambient gaseous mixture ignites very fast. Essentially, the pre-ignition induction by lubricating oil droplet on the ambient gaseous mixture depends on the time scale competition between physical delay of droplet evaporation and chemical delay of the ambient gaseous mixture.
CitationFei, S., Wang, Z., Qi, Y., and Wang, Y., "Investigation on Ignition of a Single Lubricating Oil Droplet in Premixed Combustible Mixture at Engine-Relevant Conditions," SAE Technical Paper 2019-01-0298, 2019, https://doi.org/10.4271/2019-01-0298.
- Wang, Z., Qi, Y., Liu, H., Long, Y. et al. , “Experimental Study on Pre-Ignition and Super-Knock in Gasoline Engine Combustion with Carbon Particle at Elevated Temperatures and Pressures,” SAE Technical Paper 2015-01-0752 , 2015, doi:10.4271/2015-01-0752.
- Wang, Z., Liu, H., and Reitz, R.D. , “Knocking Combustion in Spark-Ignition Engines,” Progress in Energy and Combustion Science 61:78-112, 2017.
- Wang, Z., Liu, H., Song, T., Qi, Y. et al. , “Relationship between Super-Knock and Pre-Ignition,” International Journal of Engine Research 16(2):166-180, 2014.
- Hirano, S., Yamashita, M., Fujimoto, K., and Kato, K. , “Investigation of Engine Oil Effect on Abnormal Combustion in Turbocharged Direct Injection – Spark Ignition Engines (Part 2),” SAE Technical Paper 2013-01-2569 , 2013, doi:10.4271/2013-01-2569.
- Mayer, M., Hofmann, P., Geringer, B., Williams, J. et al. , “Influence of Different Fuel Properties and Gasoline – Ethanol Blends on Low-Speed Pre-Ignition in Turbocharged Direct Injection Spark Ignition Engines,” SAE Int. J. Engines 9(2):841-848, 2016, doi:10.4271/2016-01-0719.
- Kassai, M., Torii, K., Shiraishi, T., Noda, T. et al. , “Research on the Effect of Lubricant Oil and Fuel Properties on LSPI Occurrence in Boosted S. I. Engines,” SAE Technical Paper 2016-01-2292 , 2016, doi:10.4271/2016-01-2292.
- Morikawa, K., Moriyoshi, Y., Kuboyama, T., Yamada, T. et al. , “Investigation of Lubricating Oil Properties Effect on Low Speed Pre-Ignition,” SAE Technical Paper 2015-01-1870 , 2015, doi:10.4271/2015-01-1870.
- Andrews, A., Burns, R., Dougherty, R., Deckman, D. et al. , “Investigation of Engine Oil Base Stock Effects on Low Speed Pre-Ignition in a Turbocharged Direct Injection SI Engine,” SAE Int. J. Fuels Lubr 9(2):400-407, 2016, doi:10.4271/2016-01-9071.
- Welling, O., Moss, J., Williams, J., and Collings, N. , “Measuring the Impact of Engine Oils and Fuels on Low-Speed Pre-Ignition in Downsized Engines,” SAE Int. J. Fuels Lubr 7(1):1-8, 2014, doi:10.4271/2014-01-1219.
- Qi, Y., Xu, Y., Wang, Z., and Wang, J. , “The Effect of Oil Intrusion on Super Knock in Gasoline Engine,” SAE Technical Paper 2014-01-1224 , 2014, doi:10.4271/2014-01-1224.
- Kuti, O.A., Yang, S.Y., Hourani, N., Naser, N. et al. , “A Fundamental Investigation into the Relationship between Lubricant Composition and Fuel Ignition Quality,” Fuel 160:605-613, 2015.
- Long, Y., Wang, Z., Qi, Y., Xiang, S. et al. , “Effect of Oil and Gasoline Properties on Pre-Ignition and Super-Knock in a Thermal Research Engine (TRE) and an Optical Rapid Compression Machine (RCM),” SAE Technical Paper 2016-01-0720 , 2016, doi:10.4271/2016-01-0720.
- Ohtomo, M., Miyagawa, H., Koike, M., Yokoo, N. et al. , “Pre-Ignition of Gasoline-Air Mixture Triggered by a Lubricant Oil Droplet,” SAE Int. J. Fuels Lubr 7(3):673-682, 2014, doi:10.4271/2014-01-2627.
- Takeuchi, K., Fujimoto, K., Hirano, S., and Yamashita, M. , “Investigation of Engine Oil Effect on Abnormal Combustion in Turbocharged Direct Injection – Spark Ignition Engines,” SAE Int. J. Fuels Lubr 5(3):1017-1024, 2012, doi:10.4271/2012-01-1615.
- Kassai, M., Shiraishi, T., Noda, T., Hirabe, M. et al. , “An Investigation on the Ignition Characteristics of Lubricant Component Containing Fuel Droplets Using Rapid Compression and Expansion Machine,” SAE Int. J. Fuels Lubr 9(3):469-480, 2016, doi:10.4271/2016-01-2168.
- Fei, S, Qi, Y, Wang, Z, Zhang, H. , Experimental Investigations on the Induction of Ambient Gaseous Mixture Pre-Ignition by a Lubricating Oil Droplet, in China National Symposium on Combustion, Harbin, China, 2018.
- Di, H., He, X., Zhang, P., Wang, Z. et al. , “Effects of Buffer Gas Composition on Low Temperature Ignition of Iso-Octane and N-Heptane,” Combustion and Flame 161(10):2531-2538, 2014.
- Wang, Y., Li, Y., Wang, Z., and He, X. , “Hydrogen Formation from Methane Rich Combustion under High Pressure and High Temperature Conditions,” International Journal of Hydrogen Energy 42(20):14301-14311, 2017.
- Zhang, P., Ji, W., He, T., He, X. et al. , “First-Stage Ignition Delay in the Negative Temperature Coefficient Behavior: Experiment and Simulation,” Combustion and Flame 167:14-23, 2016.
- Fei, S., Wang, Z., Qi, Y., Wang, Y. et al. , “Ignition of a Single Lubricating Oil Droplet in Combustible Ambient Gaseous Mixture under High-Temperature and High-Pressure Conditions,” Combustion Science and Technology, 2018.