This content is not included in your SAE MOBILUS subscription, or you are not logged in.
Water Injection Applicability to Gasoline Engines: Thermodynamic Analysis
ISSN: 0148-7191, e-ISSN: 2688-3627
Published April 02, 2019 by SAE International in United States
This content contains downloadable datasetsAnnotation ability available
The vehicle WLTP and RDE homologation test cycles are pushing the engine technology toward the implementation of different solutions aimed to the exhaust gases emission reduction. The tightening of the policy on the Auxiliary Emission Strategy (A.E.S.), including those for the engine component protection, faces the Spark Ignited (S.I.) engines with the need to replace the fuel enrichment as a means to cool down both unburnt mixture and exhaust gases to accomplish with the inlet temperature turbine (TiT) limit. Among the whole technology solutions conceived to make SI engine operating at lambda 1.0 on the whole operation map, the water injection is one of the valuable candidates. Despite the fact that the water injection has been exploited in the past, the renewed interest in it requires a deep investigation in order to outcome its potential as well as its limits. Many experimental campaigns have been performed while only few researches have deeply investigated the effect of the water injection on the air-fuel mixture under engine operating conditions. Since the experiments perform like a black box and they might hide some important phenomena, CFD numerical investigation steps are mandatory in order to provide a wider and deeper overview on the thermo-fluid dynamics characteristics involved in engine operations with water injection.
This paper aims to provide an insight into those processes by using a CFD numerical approach to investigate the effect of the water injection on a non-reacting air-fuel mixture. The investigation has been carried out with the aid of CFD simulations by using AVL FIRE v.2017 solver. The influence of the physical, chemical and in-cylinder thermodynamic conditions on the effectiveness of the water cooling effect of the mixture is discussed and the application of the water injection to a spark ignition engine case at full load and high BMEP is examined. Port Water Injection (PWI) and Direct Water Injection (DWI) solutions are compared showing the high potential involved in DWI.
CitationFalfari, S., Bianchi, G., Cazzoli, G., Ricci, M. et al., "Water Injection Applicability to Gasoline Engines: Thermodynamic Analysis," SAE Technical Paper 2019-01-0266, 2019, https://doi.org/10.4271/2019-01-0266.
Data Sets - Support Documents
|[Unnamed Dataset 1]|
|[Unnamed Dataset 2]|
|[Unnamed Dataset 3]|
|[Unnamed Dataset 4]|
|[Unnamed Dataset 5]|
|[Unnamed Dataset 6]|
|[Unnamed Dataset 7]|
|[Unnamed Dataset 8]|
|[Unnamed Dataset 9]|
|[Unnamed Dataset 10]|
|[Unnamed Dataset 11]|
- Lanzafame, R. , “Water Injection Effects in a Single-Cylinder CFR Engine,” SAE Technical Paper 1999-01-0568, 1999, doi:10.4271/1999-01-0568.
- Brusca, S. and Lanzafame, R. , “Water Injection in IC - SI Engines to Control Detonation and to Reduce Pollutant Emissions,” SAE Technical Paper 2003-01-1912, 2003, doi:10.4271/2003-01-1912.
- Boretti, A. , “Water Injection in Directly Injected Turbocharged Spark Ignition Engines,” Applied Thermal Engineering 52(1):62-68, 2013, doi:10.1016/j.applthermaleng.2012.11.016.
- Bhagat, M., Cung, K., Johnson, J., Lee, S. et al. , “Experimental and Numerical Study of Water Spray Injection at Engine-Relevant Conditions,” SAE Technical Paper 2013-01-0250, 2013, doi:10.4271/2013-01-0250.
- D'Adamo, A., Berni, F., Breda, S., Lugli, M. et al. , “A Numerical Investigation on the Potentials of Water Injection as a Fuel Efficiency Enhancer in Highly Downsized GDI Engines,” SAE Technical Paper 2015-01-0393, 2015, doi:10.4271/2015-01-0393.
- Pauer, T., Frohnmaier, M., Walther, J., Schenk, P. et al. , “Optimization of Gasoline Engines by Water Injection,” in 37th International Vienna Motor Symposium, 2016.
- Worm, J., Naber, J., Duncan, J., Barros, S. et al. , “Water Injection as an Enabler for Increased Efficiency at High-Load in a Direct Injected, Boosted, SI Engine,” SAE Int. J. Engines 10(3):951-958, 2017, doi:10.4271/2017-01-0663.
- Battistoni, M., Grimaldi, C., Cruccolini, V., Discepoli, G. et al. , “Assessment of Port Water Injection Strategies to Control Knock in a GDI Engine through Multi-Cycle CFD Simulations,” SAE Technical Paper 2017-24-0034, 2017, doi:10.4271/2017-24-0034.
- Netzer, C., Franken, T., Seidel, L., Lehtiniemi, H. et al. , “Numerical Analysis of the Impact of Water Injection on Combustion and Thermodynamics in a Gasoline Engine Using Detailed Chemistry,” SAE Technical Paper 2018-01-0200, 2018, doi:10.4271/2018-01-0200.
- De Bellis, V., Bozza, F., Teodosio, L., and Valentino, G. , “Experimental and Numerical Study of the Water Injection to Improve the Fuel Economy of a Small Size Turbocharged SI Engine,” SAE Int. J. Engines 10(2):550-561, 2017, doi:10.4271/2017-01-0540.
- Iacobacci, A., Marchitto, L., and Valentino, G. , “Water Injection to Enhance Performance and Emissions of a Turbocharged Gasoline Engine under High Load Condition,” SAE Int. J. Engines 10(3):928-937, 2017, doi:10.4271/2017-01-0660.
- Cavina, N., Rojo, N., Businaro, A., Brusa, A. et al. , “Investigation of Water Injection Effects on Combustion Characteristics of a GDI TC Engine,” SAE Int. J. Engines 10(4):2209-2218, 2017.
- Kim, J., Park, H., Bae, C., Choi, M., and Kwak, Y. , “Effects of Water Direct Injection on the Torque Enhancement and Fuel Consumption Reduction of a Gasoline Engine under High-Load Conditions,” International Journal of Engine Research 17(7):795-808, doi:10.1177/1468087415613221.
- Hoppe, F., Thewes, M., Baumgarten, H., and Dohmen, J. , “Water Injection for Gasoline Engines: Potentials, Challenges, and Solutions,” International Journal of Engine Research 17(1):86-96, 2015, doi:10.1177/1468087415599867.
- Hoppe, F., Thewes, M., Seibel, J., Balazs, A. et al. , “Evaluation of the Potential of Water Injection for Gasoline Engines,” SAE Int. J. Engines 10(5):2500-2512, 2017.
- Busuttil, D. and Farrugia, M. , “Experimental Investigation on the Effect of Injecting Water to the Air to Fuel Mixture in a Spark Ignition Engine,” MM Science Journal (01):585-590, 2015, doi:10.17973/MMSJ.2015_03_201510.
- Rohit, A., Satpathy, S., Choi, J., Hoard, J. et al. , “Literature Survey of Water Injection Benefits on Boosted Spark Ignited Engines,” SAE Technical Paper 2017-01-0658, 2017, doi:10.4271/2017-01-0658.
- Cazzoli, G., Bianchi, G.M., Falfari, S., and Forte, C. , “Development of a Chemical-Kinetic Database for the Laminar Flame Speed under GDI and Water Injection Engine Conditions,” Energy Procedia 154-161, 2018, doi:10.1016/j.egypro.2018.08.043.
- Cazzoli, G., Forte, C., Bianchi, G., Falfari, S. et al. , “A Chemical-Kinetic Approach to the Definition of the Laminar Flame Speed for the Simulation of the Combustion of Spark-Ignition Engines,” SAE Technical Paper 2017-24-0035, 2017, doi:10.4271/2017-24-0035.
- Goodwin, D. G., Moffat, H. K. and Speth, R. L. , “Cantera: An Object-Oriented Software Toolkit for Chemical Kinetics, Thermodynamics, and Transport Processes”, 2016
- Ranzi, E., Frassoldati, A., Grana, R., Cuoci, A. et al. , “Hierarchical and Comparative Kinetic Modeling of Laminar Flame Speeds of Hydrocarbon and Oxygenated Fuels,” Progress in Energy and Combustion Science 38(4):468-501, 2012, doi:10.1016/j.pecs.2012.03.004.
- Dirrenberger, P., Glaude, P-A., Bounaceur, R., Le Gall, H., da Cruz, A.P., et al. , “Laminar Burning Velocity of Gasolines with Addition of Ethanol”, Fuel, 2014, 115, 162-169, doi:10.1016/j.fuel.2013.07.015
- Falfari, S., Bianchi, G.M., Cazzoli, G., Forte, C., and Negro, S. , “Basics on Water Injection Process for Gasoline Engines,” Energy Procedia 50-57, 2018, doi:10.1016/j.egypro.2018.08.018.
- Nocivelli, L., Montenegro, G., Onorati, A., Curto, F. et al. , “Quantitative Analysis of Low Pressure-Driven Spray Mass Distribution and Liquid Entrainment for SCR Application through a Mechanical Patternator,” SAE Technical Paper 2017-01-0965, 2017, doi:10.4271/2017-01-0965.
- Baeri, S. and Schmidt, J. , “Spray Characterisation and Heat Transfer during Cooling Processes by Intermittent Sprays”, in DIPSI Workshop 2011 on Droplet Impact Phenomena & Spray Investigation, May 18, 2012, Bergamo, Italy.
- www.Openwam.org, OpenWAM, CMT-Motores Térmicos, Universitat Politécnica de València (UPV).
- Brusiani, F., Bianchi, G., and Tiberi, A. , “Primary Breakup Model for Turbulent Liquid Jet Based on Ligament Evolution,” SAE Technical Paper 2012-01-0460, 2012, doi:10.4271/2012-01-0460.