Effect of Different Fluids on Injection Strategies to Suppress Pre-Ignition
Published April 2, 2019 by SAE International in United States
Downloadable datasets for this paper availableAnnotation of this paper is available
Pre-ignition is an abnormal engine combustion phenomenon where the inducted fuel-air charge ignites before the spark ignition. This premature combustion phenomenon often leads to heavy knocking events. The mixture preparation plays a critical role in pre-ignition tendency for a given load. Literature shows efforts made towards improving pre-ignition-limited-IMEP by splitting the injection pulse into multiple pulses. In this study, two direct injectors are used in a single cylinder research engine. A centrally mounted direct injector was used to inject Coryton Gasoline (RON 95) fuel early in the intake stroke. A second fluid was injected late in the compression stroke to suppress pre-ignition. The fluids used in the second direct injector was varied to see the effects of the molecule and its physical and chemical property on pre-ignition suppression tendency. Methanol, ethanol, water, and gasoline were tested as second fluid. Engine tests were conducted at 2000 rpm and at an intake pressure of 2.1 bar (abs). Although alcohols show high pre-ignition tendency as fuels, they were most effective at pre-ignition suppression when injected later in the compression stroke. The pre-ignition suppression led to a decrease in IMEP and an increase in cycle-to-cycle variation. Water injection was highly effective at maintaining peak IMEP values. Water injection was further explored for pre-ignition suppression. The water injection helped reduce pre-ignition count when injected at two different injection times each in intake, compression and late exhaust stroke.
CitationSingh, E., Hlaing, P., Shi, H., and Dibble, R., "Effect of Different Fluids on Injection Strategies to Suppress Pre-Ignition," SAE Technical Paper 2019-01-0257, 2019, https://doi.org/10.4271/2019-01-0257.
Data Sets - Support Documents
|[Unnamed Dataset 1]|
|[Unnamed Dataset 2]|
|[Unnamed Dataset 3]|
|[Unnamed Dataset 4]|
- “Pre-Ignition in Turbo-Charged Spark-Ignition Engines,” 2010.
- Dahnz, C. and Spicher, U., “Irregular Combustion in Supercharged Spark Ignition Engines - Pre-Ignition and Other Phenomena,” International Journal of Engine Research, 2010.
- Ohtomo, M., Miyagawa, H., Koike, M., Yokoo, N. et al., “Pre-Ignition of Gasoline-Air Mixture Triggered by a Lubricant Oil Droplet,” SAE Int. J. Fuels Lubr. 7(3):673-682, 2014, doi:10.4271/2014-01-2627.
- Carley, L., “Vanishing V8s: Downsizing Engines, 2015, Available at: http://www.enginebuildermag.com/2015/06/vanishing-v8s-downsizing-engines/.
- Fraser, N., Blaxill, H., Lumsden, G., and Bassett, M., “Challenges for Increased Efficiency through Gasoline Engine Downsizing,” SAE Int. J. Engines 2(1):991-1008, 2009, doi:10.4271/2009-01-1053.
- Lecointe, B. and Monnier, G., “Downsizing a Gasoline Engine Using Turbocharging with Direct Injection,” SAE Technical Paper 2003-01-0542, 2003, doi:10.4271/2003-01-0542.
- Nozawa, R., Morita, Y., and Shimizu, M., “Effects of Engine Downsizing on Friction Losses and Fuel Economy,” Tribology international 27(1):31-37, 1994.
- Turner, J.W.G., Popplewell, A., Patel, R., Johnson, T.R. et al., “Ultra Boost for Economy: Extending the Limits of Extreme Engine Downsizing,” SAE International Journal of Engines 7(1):387-417, 2014.
- Shahed, S. and Bauer, K.-H., “Parametric Studies of the Impact of Turbocharging on Gasoline Engine Downsizing,” SAE International Journal of Engines 2(1):1347-1358, 2009, doi:10.427/2009-01-1472.
- André, M., “The ARTEMIS European Driving Cycles for Measuring Car Pollutant Emissions,” Science of the Total Environment 334:73-84, 2004.
- Serruys M., "Experimental Study of Ignition by Hot Spot in Internal Combustion Engines," 1938.
- Spencer R.C., "Preignition Characteristics of Several Fuels under Simulated Engine Conditions," 1941.
- Sparrow, S.W., “Preignition and Spark Plugs,” SAE Technical Paper 200015, 1920, doi:10.4271/200015.
- Heron, S.D., "Cooling of Exhaust Valves of Internal Combustion Engine,” U.S. Patent 1670965, 1928.
- Heron, S., “Uncontrolled Combustion in Spark-Ignition Engines,” SAE Technical Paper 540218, 1954, doi:10.4271/540218.
- Hundere, A. and Bert, J., “Preignition and its Deleterious Effects in Aircraft Engines,” SAE Technical Paper 480221, 1948, doi:10.4271/480221.
- Downs, D. and Pigneguy, J., “An Experimental Investigation into Pre-Ignition in the Spark-Ignition Engine,” Proceedings of the Institution of Mechanical Engineers: Automobile Division 4(1):125-149, 1950.
- Agnew, W.G., “Fifty Years of Combustion Research at General Motors,” Progress in Energy and Combustion Science 4(2):115-155, 1978.
- Pawlowski, A. and Splitter, D., “SI Engine Trends: A Historical Analysis with Future Projections,” SAE Technical Paper 2015-01-0972, 2015, doi:10.4271/2015-01-0972.
- Splitter, D., Pawlowski, A., and Wagner, R., “A Historical Analysis of the Co-Evolution of Gasoline Octane Number and Spark-Ignition Engines,” Frontiers in Mechanical Engineering 1:16, 2016.
- Michlberger, A., Sutton, M., Kocsis, M., Anderson, G. et al., “On-Road Monitoring of Low Speed Pre-Ignition,” SAE Technical Paper 2018-01-1676, 2018, doi:10.4271/2018-01-1676.
- Iwatsuka T., Kano M., Mori K., Werner W. et al., “Study of HSPI/LSPI from Spark Plugs on Turbocharged Gasoline Engines,” in International Conference on Knocking in Gasoline Engines, 2017, 71-85, Springer.
- Zaccardi, J.-M. and Serrano, D., “A Comparative Low Speed Pre-Ignition (LSPI) Study in Downsized SI Gasoline and CI Diesel-Methane Dual Fuel Engines,” SAE International Journal of Engines 7(4):1931-1944, 2014, doi:10.4271/2014-01-2688.
- Zahdeh, A. et al., “Fundamental Approach to Investigate Pre-Ignition in Boosted SI Engines,” SAE International Journal of Engines 4(1):246-273, 2011, doi:10.4271/2011-01-0340.
- Amann, M., Alger, T., Westmoreland, B., and Rothmaier, A., “The Effects of Piston Crevices and Injection Strategy on Low-Speed Pre-Ignition in Boosted SI Engines,” SAE International Journal of Engines 5(3):1216-1228, 2012, doi:10.4271/2012-01-1148.
- Lv, M., Li, Y., Hu, X., Liu, Y., et al., “Super-Knock Suppression Using Split Injection in a Turbo-Charged GDI Engine,” in MATEC Web of Conferences, 2016, 40, EDP Sciences.
- Wang, Z., Xu, Y., and Wang, J., “Suppression of Super-Knock in TC-GDI Engine Using Two-Stage Injection in Intake Stroke (TSII),” Science China Technological Sciences 57(1):80-85, 2014.
- Hu, T., Teng, H., Luo, X., Lu, C. et al., “Influence of Fuel Dilution of Crankcase Oil on Ignitability of Oil Particles in a Highly Boosted Gasoline Direct Injection Engine,” SAE Technical Paper 2015-01-2811, 2015, doi:10.4271/2015-01-2811.
- Shinagawa, T., Kudo, M., Matsubara, W., and Kawai, T., “The New Toyota 1.2-liter ESTEC Turbocharged Direct Injection Gasoline Engine,” SAE Technical Paper 2015-01-1268, 2015, doi:10.4271/2015-01-1268.
- Singh, E., Ali, M.J.M., Ichim, A., Morganti, K. et al., “Effect of Mixture Formation and Injection Strategies on Stochastic Pre-Ignition,” SAE Technical Paper 2018-01-1678, 2018, doi:10.4271/2018-01-1678.
- Luo, X., Teng, H., Hu, T., Miao, R. et al., “An Experimental Investigation on Low Speed Pre-Ignition in a Highly Boosted Gasoline Direct Injection Engine,” SAE International Journal of Engines 8(2):520-528, 2015, doi:10.4271/2015-01-0758.
- Silva, T.R., Baeta, J.G., Neto, N.A., Malaquias, A.C. et al., “Split-Injection in a Downsized Ethanol SIDI Engine Aiming to Mitigate Pre-Ignition,” SAE Technical Paper 2017-36-0266, 2017, doi:10.4271/2017-36-0266.
- Kratzsch, M. and Günther, M., Knocking in Gasoline Engines: Conference Proceedings, DCM Druck Center Meckenheim GmbH, 2014, www.druckcenter.de.
- Chang, J., Viollet, Y., Alzubail, A., Abdul-Manan, A.F.N. et al., “Octane-On-Demand as an Enabler for Highly Efficient Spark Ignition Engines and Greenhouse Gas Emissions Improvement,” SAE Technical Paper 2015-01-1264, 2015, doi:10.4271/2015-01-1264.
- Morganti, K., Al-Abdullah, M., and Zubail, A., “Fuel Economy and CO2 Emissions Benefits of Octane-on-Demand Combustion in Spark-Ignition Engines,” Carbon 1(2.18):2.24, 2015.
- Morganti, K. et al., “Improving the Efficiency of Conventional Spark-Ignition Engines Using Octane-on-Demand Combustion-Part II: Vehicle Studies and Life Cycle Assessment,” SAE Technical Paper 2016-01-0683, 2016, doi:10.4271/2016-01-0683.
- Viollet, Y., Abdullah, M., Alhajhouje, A., and Chang, J., “Characterization of High Efficiency Octane-On-Demand Fuels Requirement in a Modern Spark Ignition Engine with Dual Injection System,” SAE Technical Paper 2015-01-1265, 2015, doi:10.4271/2015-01-1265.
- Battistoni, M., Grimaldi, C.N., Cruccolini, V., Discepoli, G. et al., “Assessment of Port Water Injection Strategies to Control Knock in a GDI Engine through Multi-Cycle CFD Simulations,” SAE Technical Paper 2017-24-0034, 2017, doi:10.4271/2017-24-0034.
- Bozza, F., De Bellis, V., and Teodosio, L., “Potentials of Cooled EGR and Water Injection for Knock Resistance and Fuel Consumption Improvements of Gasoline Engines,” Applied Energy 169:112-125, 2016.
- Brusca, S. and Lanzafame, R., “Water Injection in IC-SI Engines to Control Detonation and to Reduce Pollutant Emissions,” SAE Technical Paper 2003-01-1912, 2003, doi:10.4271/2003-01-1912.
- Heinrich C., Dörksen H., Esch A., and Krämer K., “Gasoline Water Direct Injection (GWDI) as a Key Feature for Future Gasoline Engines,” in International Conference on Knocking in Gasoline Engines, 2017, 322-337, Springer.
- Hoppe, F., Thewes, M., Seibel, J., Balazs, A. et al., “Evaluation of the Potential of Water Injection for Gasoline Engines,” SAE International Journal of Engines 10(5):2500-2512, 2017, doi:10.4271/2017-24-0149.
- Hunger, M., Böcking, T., Walther, U., Günther, M., et al., “Potential of Direct Water Injection to Reduce Knocking and Increase the Efficiency of Gasoline Engines,” in International Conference on Knocking in Gasoline Engines, 2017, 338-359, Springer.
- Worm, J., Naber, J., Duncan, J., Barros, S. et al., “Water Injection as an Enabler for Increased Efficiency at High-Load in a Direct Injected, Boosted, SI Engine,” SAE International Journal of Engines 10(3):951-958, 2017, doi:10.4271/2017-01-0663.
- Berni, F., Breda, S., D'Adamo, A., Fontanesi, S. et al., “Numerical Investigation on the Effects of Water/Methanol Injection as Knock Suppressor to Increase the Fuel Efficiency of a Highly Downsized GDI Engine,” SAE Technical Paper 2015-24-2499, 2015, doi:10.4271/2015-24-2499.
- Singh, E., Morganti, K., and Dibble, R.W., “Dual-Fuel Operation of Gasoline and Natural Gas in a Turbocharged Engine,” Fuel 237:694-706.
- Singh E., Morganti, K., Dibble, R.W., "Optimizing Split Fuel Injection Strategies to Avoid Pre-Ignition and Super-Knock in Turbocharged Engines," Submitted to IJER, 2018.
- A. International, "ASTM D86, Standard Test Method for Distillation of Petroleum Products at Atmospheric Pressure," Ed: ASTM International West Conshohocken, PA, 2004.
- Singh, E. and Dibble, R.W., “Mechanism Triggering Pre-Ignition in a Turbo-Charged Engine,” SAE Technical Paper 2019-01-0255, 2019.
- Splitter, D., Kaul, B., Szybist, J., and Jatana, G., “Engine Operating Conditions and Fuel Properties on Pre-Spark Heat Release and SPI Promotion in SI Engines,” SAE International Journal of Engines 10(3), 2017, doi:10.4271/2017-01-0688.
- Downs, D. and Theobald, F., “The Effect of Fuel Characteristics and Engine Operating Conditions on Pre-Ignition,” Proceedings of the Institution of Mechanical Engineers: Automobile Division 178(1):89-108, 1963.
- Zaccardi, J.-M., Duval, L., and Pagot, A., “Development of Specific Tools for Analysis and Quantification of Pre-Ignition in a Boosted SI Engine,” SAE International Journal of Engines 2(1):1587-1600.
- Johansson, B., “Cycle to Cycle Variations in SI Engines-the Effects of Fluid Flow and Gas Composition in the Vicinity of the Spark Plug on Early Combustion,” SAE Transactions 105:2281-2296, 1996.
- Haenel, P., Kleeberg, H., De Bruijn, R., and Tomazic, D., “Influence of Ethanol Blends on Low Speed Pre-Ignition in Turbocharged, Direct-Injection Gasoline Engines,” SAE International Journal of Fuels and Lubricants 10(1):95-105, 2017, doi:10.4271/2017-01-0687.
- Dahnz, C. and Spicher, U., “Irregular Combustion in Supercharged Spark Ignition Engines-Pre-Ignition and Other Phenomena,” International Journal of Engine Research 11(6):485-498, 2010.
- Khosravi, M., Ruhland, H., Lorenz, T., and Weber, C., “Investigation into Occurrence of Megaknock and Auto-Ignition in GTDI Engines,” SAE Technical Paper 2017-01-0690, 2017, doi:10.4271/2017-01-0690.
- Singh, E. and Dibble, R., “Effectiveness of Fuel Enrichment on Knock Suppression in a Gasoline Spark-Ignited Engine,” SAE Technical Paper 2018-01-1665, 2018, doi:10.4271/2018-01-1665.
- Krieck, M., Guenther, M., Pischinger, S., Kramer, U. et al., “Effects of LPG Fuel Formulations on Knock and Pre-Ignition Behavior of a DI SI Engine,” SAE International Journal of Engines 9(1):237-251, 2015, doi:10.4271/2015-01-1947.