This content is not included in your SAE MOBILUS subscription, or you are not logged in.
Analytical Wall-Function Strategy for the Modelling of Turbulent Heat Transfer in the Automotive CFD Applications
ISSN: 0148-7191, e-ISSN: 2688-3627
Published April 02, 2019 by SAE International in United States
Annotation ability available
In contrast to the well-established “standard” log-law wall function, the analytical wall function (AWF) as an advanced modelling approach has not been extensively used in the industrial computational fluid dynamics (CFD) applications. As the model was originally developed aiming at computations on relatively coarse meshes, potential stability issues may arise due to the pressure-gradient sensitivity if employing locally inappropriate mesh layers, typically associated with the complex geometry details. This work evaluates performance of the thermal AWF, as proposed by Suga , in conjunction with the main flow field computed employing the k-ζ-f turbulence model and the hybrid wall treatment (denoted as AWF-e) within the Reynolds-averaged Navier-Stokes (RANS) framework. The underlying turbulence modelling approach has been widely validated in numerous industrial applications, demonstrating capability (in terms of both accuracy and robustness) to capture near-wall transport phenomena with more fidelity compared to the standard or low-Reynolds-number variants of the k-ε turbulence model. The proposed AWF-e strategy is validated on several benchmarks, namely heated pipe, E-motor cooling jacket and IC engine flows. These flow configurations involve elevated temperature gradients and fluid property variations, typically encountered in the automotive applications. The results confirm reduced mesh sensitivity and superiority of the AWF-e over the conventional RANS wall heat transfer models.
CitationSaric, S., Basara, B., Suga, K., and Gomboc, S., "Analytical Wall-Function Strategy for the Modelling of Turbulent Heat Transfer in the Automotive CFD Applications," SAE Technical Paper 2019-01-0206, 2019, https://doi.org/10.4271/2019-01-0206.
- Craft , T.J. , Gerasimov , A.V. , Iacovides , H. , and Launder , B.E. Progress in the Generalization of Wall-Function Treatments Int. Journal of Heat Fluid Flow 23 148 160 2002 10.1016/S0142-727X(01)00143-6
- Popovac , M. and Hanjalić , K. Compound Wall Treatment for RANS Computation of Complex Turbulent Flows and Heat Transfer Flow, Turbulence and Combustion 78 177 202 2007 10.1007/s10494-006-9067-x
- Suga , K. , Craft , T.J. , and Iacovides , H. An Analytical Wall-Function for Turbulent Flows and Heat Transfer over Rough Walls Int. Journal of Heat and Fluid Flow 27 5 852 866 2006 10.1016/j.ijheatfluidflow.2006.03.011
- Suga , K. Amendments to the Extended Analytical Wall Function for Turbulent High Prandtl Number Flows Hanjalić K. , Nagano Y. , and Jakirlić S. Turbulence, Heat and Mass Transfer 5 Begell House Inc. 2006
- Rahman , M.M. and Siikonen , T. Compound Wall Treatment with Low-Re Turbulence Model Int. J. Numer. Meth. Fluids 68 706 723 2011 10.1002/fld.2529
- Nuutinen , M.A. , Kaario , O.T. , Vuorinen , V.A. , Nwosu , P.N. et al. Imbalance Wall Functions with Density and Material Property Variation Effects Applied to Engine Heat Transfer Computational Fluid Dynamics Simulations Int. J. of Engine Research 15 3 307 324 2014 10.1177/1468087413481779
- Suga , K. , Ishibashi , Y. , and Kuwata , Y. An Analytical Wall-Function for Recirculating and Impinging Turbulent Heat Transfer International Journal of Heat and Fluid Flow 41 45 54 2013 10.1016/j.ijheatfluidflow.2013.02.002
- Hanjalić , K. , Popovac , M. , and Hadžiabdić , M. A Robust near-Wall Elliptic Relaxation Eddy-Viscosity Turbulence Model for CFD International Journal of Heat and Fluid Flow 25 1047 1051 2004 10.1016/j.ijheatfluidflow.2004.07.005
- AVL List GmbH 2014
- Durbin , P.A. Near-Wall Turbulence Closure Modelling without Damping Functions Theoret. Comput. Fluid Dynamic. 3 1 13 1991
- Basara , B. An Eddy Viscosity Transport Model Based on Elliptic Relaxation Approach AIAA Journal 44 1686 1690 2006 10.2514/1.20739
- Šarić , S. , Basara , B. , and Žunič , Z. Advanced Near-Wall Modeling for Engine Heat Transfer International Journal of Heat and Fluid Flow 63 205 211 2017 10.1016/j.ijheatfluidflow.2016.06.019
- Jayatilleke , C. The Influence of Prandtl Number and Surface Roughness on the Resistance of the Laminar Sublayer to Momentum and Heat Transfer Prog. Heat Mass Transfer 1 193 321 1969
- Kader , B.A. Temperature and Concentration Profiles in Fully Turbulent Boundary Layers International Journal Heat and Mass Transfer 24 1541 1544 1981 10.1016/0017-9310(81)90220-9