This content is not included in your SAE MOBILUS subscription, or you are not logged in.
Utilization of a Twin Scroll Radial Centripetal Turbine Model
ISSN: 0148-7191, e-ISSN: 2688-3627
Published April 02, 2019 by SAE International in United States
This content contains downloadable datasetsAnnotation ability available
The article describes the utilization of the map-less approach in simulation of single and twin scroll radial turbines. The conventional steady flow maps are not used. An unsteady 1-D model of a twin scroll turbine includes scrolls, mixing of flows upstream of the impeller, turbine wheel, leakages and outlet pipe. Developed physical turbine model was calibrated with data from experiments at specific steady flow turbocharger test bed with open loop, which enables to achieve arbitrary level of an impeller admission via throttling in separate sections. A selected twin scroll turbine was tested under full, partial flow admission of an impeller and extreme partial admission with closed section. The required number of operating points is relatively low compared with conventional steady flow maps, when the maps have to be generated for each level of an impeller admission. The calibration process of the full 1-D turbine model is described. The fully calibrated 1-D twin scroll turbine model, in conjunction with an internal combustion engine model, is able to describe processes inside a turbocharger turbine under highly pulsating flow. The experiments were also performed on a turbocharged six cylinder diesel engine with twin scroll turbine. The engine was tested at steady and transient loads, and various speeds operation. The model of the internal combustion engine with the full 1-D model of the twin scroll turbine was properly calibrated by experimental data. The 3-D CFD model of the tested turbine is also introduced. The results of unsteady flow simulation, based on the in-house 3-D CFD finite volume solver, are compared with the 1-D simulation and also experiments. The results of steady and unsteady operation of the turbine and future utilization of developed simulation tools are discussed.
CitationZak, Z., Macek, J., Vitek, O., Emrich, M. et al., "Utilization of a Twin Scroll Radial Centripetal Turbine Model," SAE Technical Paper 2019-01-0191, 2019, https://doi.org/10.4271/2019-01-0191.
Data Sets - Support Documents
|[Unnamed Dataset 1]|
|[Unnamed Dataset 2]|
- Zinner, K., Supercharging of Internal Combustion Engines (Heidelberg: Springer, 1978).
- Romagnoli, A, Martinez-Botas, R.F., and Rajoo, S., "Steady State Performance Evaluation of Variable Geometry Twin-Entry Turbine," International Journal of Heat and Fluid Flow, 32, 477-489, 2011, ISSN:0142-727X.
- Schorn, N., “The Radial Turbine for Small Turbocharger Applications: Evolution and Analytical Methods for Twin-Entry Turbine Turbochargers,” SAE Int. J. Engines 7(3), 2014, doi:10.4271/2014-01-1647.
- Lückmann, D., Uhlmann, T., Kindl, H., and Pischinger, S., “Separation in Double Entry Turbine Housings at Boosted Gasoline Engines,” MTZ 74(10), 2013.
- Brinkert, N., Sumser, S., Schulz, A., Weber, S. et al., “Understanding the Twin-Scroll Turbine-Flow Similarity,” ASME Turbo Expo, GT2011-46820 49:2207-2218, 2011.
- Serrano, J.R., Arnau F.J., Dolz V., Tiseira A., and Cervelló C., "A Model of Turbocharger Radial Turbines Appropriate to Be Used in Zero- and One-Dimensional Gas Dynamics Codes for Internal Combustion Engines Modelling," Energy Conversion and Management, 49, 3729-3745, 2008, ISSN:0196-8904.
- Romagnoli A, and Martinez-Botas R, "Performance Prediction of a Nozzled and Nozzleless Mixed-Flow Turbine in Steady Conditions," International Journal of Mechanical Sciences, 53, 557-574, 2011, ISSN:0020-7403.
- Sakellaridis, N. and Hountalas, D., “Meanline Modeling of Radial Turbine Performance for Turbocharger Simulation and Diagnostic Applications,” SAE Technical Paper 2013-01-0924, 2013, doi:10.4271/2013-01-0924.
- Payri F., Serrano J.R., Fajardo P., Reyes-Belmonte M.A., and Gozalbo-Belles R., "A Physically Based Methodology to Extrapolate Performance Maps of Radial Turbines," Energy Conversion and Management, 55, 149-163, 2012, ISSN:0196-8904.
- Serrano, J., Pla, B., Gozalbo, R., and Ospina, D., “Estimation of the Extended Turbine Maps for a Radial Inflow Turbine,” SAE Technical Paper 2010-01-1234, 2010, doi:10.4271/2010-01-1234.
- Westin, F. and Ångström, H., “Calculation Accuracy of Pulsating Flow through the Turbine of SI-Engine Turbochargers - Part 1 Calculations for Choice of Turbines with Different Flow Characteristics,” SAE Technical Paper 2005-01-0222, 2005, doi:10.4271/2005-01-0222.
- Westin, F. and Ångström, H., “Calculation Accuracy of Pulsating Flow through the Turbine of SI-Engine Turbochargers - Part 2 Measurements, Simulation Correlations and Conclusions,” SAE Technical Paper 2005-01-3812, 2005, doi:10.4271/2005-01-3812.
- Winkler, N. and Ångström, H., “Study of Measured and Model Based Generated Turbine Performance Maps within a 1D Model of a Heavy-Duty Diesel Engine Operated during Transient Conditions,” SAE Technical Paper 2007-01-0491, 2007, doi:10.4271/2007-01-0491.
- Kapoor, P., Costall, A.W., Sakellaridis, N., Hooijer, J. et al., “Adaptive Turbo Matching: Radial Turbine Design Optimization through 1D Engine Simulations with Meanline Model in-the-Loop,” SAE Technical Paper 2018-01-0974, 2018, doi:10.4271/2018-01-0974.
- Fredriksson, C.F., iu, X., Baines, N.C., Müller, M. et al., “Meanline Modeling of Radial Inflow Turbine with Twin-Entry Scroll,” ASME Turbo Expo, 2012, doi:10.1115/GT2012-69018.
- Palenschat, T., Mueller, M., Rajoo, S., Chiong, M.S. et al., “Steady-State Experimental and Meanline Study of an Asymmetric Twin-Scroll Turbine at Full and Unequal and Partial Admission Conditions,” SAE Technical Paper 2018-01-0971, 2018, doi:10.4271/2018-01-0971.
- De Bellis, V., Marelli, S., Bozza, F., and Capobianco, M., "1D Simulation and Experimental Analysis of a Turbocharger Turbine for Automotive Engines under Steady and Unsteady Flow Conditions," in 68th Conference of the Italian Thermal Machines Engineering Association, ATI2013, Energy Procedia, 45, 909-918, 2014, ISSN:1876-6102.
- Serrano, J., Arnau, F., Novella, R., and Reyes-Belmonte, M., “A Procedure to Achieve 1D Predictive Modeling of Turbochargers under Hot and Pulsating Flow Conditions at the Turbine Inlet,” SAE Technical Paper 2014-01-1080, 2014, doi:10.4271/2014-01-1080.
- De Bellis, V., Bozza, F., Schernus, C., and Uhlmann, T., “Advanced Numerical and Experimental Techniques for the Extension of a Turbine Mapping,” SAE Int. J. Engines 6(3), 2013, doi:10.4271/2013-24-0119.
- De Bellis, V., Marelli, S., Bozza, F., and Capobianco, M., “Advanced Numerical/Experimental Methods for the Analysis of a Waste-Gated Turbocharger Turbine,” SAE Int. J. Engines 7(1), 2014, doi:10.4271/2014-01-1079.
- Aymanns, R., Scharf, J., Uhlmann, T., and Pischinger, S., “Turbocharger Efficiencies in Pulsating Exhaust Gas Flow,” MTZ 73:07-08, 2012.
- Hellstrom, F., Renberg, U., Westin, F., and Fuchs, L., “Predictions of the Performance of a Radial Turbine with Different Modeling Approaches: Comparison of the Results from 1-D and 3-D CFD,” SAE Technical Paper 2010-01-1223, 2010, doi:10.4271/2010-01-1223.
- Uhlmann, T., et al. "Development and Matching of Double Entry Turbines for the Next Generation of Highly Boosted Gasoline Engines," in 34th International Vienna Motor Symposium. 2013.
- Winkler, N., Ångström, H., and Olofsson, U., “Instantaneous On-Engine Twin-Entry Turbine Efficiency Calculations on a Diesel Engine,” SAE Technical Paper 2005-01-3887, 2005, doi:10.4271/2005-01-3887.
- GT-SUITE Application Manuals (Version 7.3) (Westmont, IL: Gamma Technologies Inc., 2012).
- Chiong, M.S., Rajoo, S., Martinez-Botas, R.F., Costall, A.W. et al., "Engine Turbocharger Performance Prediction: One-Dimensional Modeling of a Twin Entry Turbine," Energy Conversion and Management, 57, 68-78, 2012, ISSN:0196-8904.
- Chiong, MS, Rajoo, S, Romagnoli, A, Costall, A.W., Martinez-Botas, R.F. et al., "Non-adiabatic Pressure Loss Boundary Condition for Modelling Turbocharger Turbine Pulsating Flow," Energy Conversion and Management, 93, 267-281, 2015, ISSN:0196-8904.
- Chiong, M.S., Rajoo, S., Romagnoli, A., Costall, A.W., Martinez-Botas, R.F. et al., "Integration of Meanline and One-Dimensional Methods for Prediction of Pulsating Performance of a Turbocharger Turbine," Energy Conversion and Management, 81, 270-281, 2014, ISSN:0196-8904.
- Galindo, J., Tiseira, A., Fajardo, P., and García-Cuevas, L.M., "Development and Validation of a Radial Variable Geometry Turbine Model for Transient Pulsating Flow Applications," Energy Conversion and Management, 85, 190-203, 2014, ISSN:0196-8904.
- Hu, X. and Lawless, P., “Predictions of On-Engine Efficiency for the Radial Turbine of a Pulse Turbocharged Engine,” SAE Technical Paper 2001-01-1238, 2001, doi:10.4271/2001-01-1238.
- Macek, J., Vávra, J., and Vítek, O., “1-D Model of Radial Turbocharger Turbine Calibrated by Experiments,” SAE Technical Paper 2002-01-0377, 2002, doi:10.4271/2002-01-0377.
- Macek, J. and Vítek, O., “Simulation of Pulsating Flow Unsteady Operation of a Turbocharger Radial Turbine,” SAE Technical Paper 2008-01-0295, 2008, doi:10.4271/2008-01-0295.
- Macek, J., Vitek, O., and Zak, Z., “Calibration and Results of a Radial Turbine 1-D Model with Distributed Parameters,” SAE Technical Paper 2011-01-1146, 2011, doi:10.4271/2011-01-1146.
- Macek, J., Zak, Z., and Vitek, O., “Physical Model of a Twin-Scroll Turbine with Unsteady Flow,” SAE Technical Paper 2015-01-1718, 2015, doi:10.4271/2015-01-1718.
- Vitek, O., Macek, J., and Zak, Z., “Chap. 9, The Physical Model of a Radial Turbine with Unsteady Flow Used for the Optimization of Turbine Matching,” . In: Giakoumis E.G., editor. Turbochargers and Turbocharging: Advancements, Applications and Research. (New York, Nova Science Publishers, Inc., 2017). ISBN:978-1-53612-239-8.
- Vávra, J., Macek, J., Vítek, O., and Takáts, M., “Investigation of Radial Turbocharger Turbine Characteristics under Real Conditions,” SAE Technical Paper 2009-01-0311, 2009, doi:10.4271/2009-01-0311.
- Macek, J., Vítek, O., Burič, J., and Doleček, V., “Comparison of Lumped and Unsteady 1-D Models for Simulation of a Radial Turbine,” SAE Int. J. Engines 2(1):173-188, 2009, doi:10.4271/2009-01-0303.
- Macek, J. and Vitek, O., “Determination and Representation of Turbocharger Thermodynamic Efficiencies,” SAE Technical Paper 2016-01-1042, 2016, doi:10.4271/2016-01-1042.
- Vítek, O., Macek, J., and Polášek, M., “New Approach to Turbocharger Optimization Using 1-D Simulation Tools,” SAE Technical Paper 2006-01-0438, 2006, doi:10.4271/2006-01-0438.
- Zak Z., Macek J., Vitek O., Emrich M., Takats M., Hatschbach P., and Vavra J., "Physical Model of a Twin Scroll Turbine in GT-SUITE," in 2015 European GT Conference, Frankfurt am Main, 2015.
- Zak, Z., Vitek, O., and Macek, J., "Application of a Radial Turbine 1-D Model," MECCA Journal of Middle European Construction and Design of Cars, 2013, 11, 1, 1-8. ISSN:1214-0821, ISSN:1804-9338 (Online).
- Zak, Z., "A 1-D Unsteady Model of a Twin Scroll Radial Centripetal Turbine for Turbocharging Optimization," Ph.D. thesis, Faculty of Mechanical Engineering, Czech Technical University, Prague, Prague, 2018.
- Zak, Z., Macek, J., and Hatschbach, P., "Measurement of Twin Scroll Turbine Performance under Steady Flow," in Proceedings of XLVII. Conference of ICE Research, Depts. of Czech and Slovak Universities, KOKA 2016, Brno, Brno University of Technology, Faculty of Mechanical Engineering, Institute of Automotive Engineering, 2016.
- Zak, Z., Macek, J., and Hatschbach, P., “Evaluation of Experiments on a Twin Scroll Turbocharger Turbine for Calibration of a Complex 1-D Model,” MECCA Journal of Middle European Construction and Design of Cars 14(3):11-18, 2016, doi:10.1515/mecdc-2016-0010.
- Fürst, J., "Development of Coupled Matrix-Free LU-SGS Solver for Turbulent Compressible Flows," presented at in 12th Open FOAM workshop, Exeter, July 2017.
- Fürst, J., "On the Implicit Density Based Open FOAM Solver for Turbulent Compressible Flows," in EPJ Web of Conferences, Ed. by Dancova, P., 143, May 2017, 02027.
- Fürst, J. and Zak, Z., "CFD Analysis of a Twin Scroll Radial Turbine," EFM 17 - Experimental Fluid Mechanics 2017. Liberec, TU Liberec, 2017, 180-189, Czech Republic, Les Ulis Cedex A: EDP Sciences - Web of Conferences, 2018, vol. 180, doi:10.1051/epjconf/201818002028.
- Fürst, J. and Zak Z., "Numerical Simulation of Unsteady Flows through a Radial Turbine," in ESCO 2018, 6th European Seminar on Computing, Pilsen, Czech Republic, 2018.
- Fürst, J., “Development of a Coupled Matrix-Free LU-SGS Solver for Turbulent Compressible Flows,” Computers & Fluids 172:332-339, 2018, doi:10.1016/j.compfluid.2018.04.020.
- Fritzson, P., Introduction to Modeling and Simulation of Technical and Physical Systems with Modelica (Wiley-IEEE Press, 2011).