This content is not included in your SAE MOBILUS subscription, or you are not logged in.
Energy Consumption Optimization for the Electric Vehicle Air Conditioning Using the Condensate Water
ISSN: 0148-7191, e-ISSN: 2688-3627
Published April 02, 2019 by SAE International in United States
This content contains downloadable datasetsAnnotation ability available
In summer, the relatively low temperature water condenses in the evaporator when the vehicle air-conditioning (AC) is running. At present, the vehicle AC condensate water without well utilization is directly wasted. The condenser’s thermal transfer performance has a great influence on the AC performance, and to increase the convective heat transfer coefficient (CHTC) is the key to its design. In this paper, a method of using atomized condensate water (CW) to enhance the condenser’s thermal transfer performance is proposed, which can make the most of the CW's cold energy. It achieves the reuse of CW and increases the condenser’s CHTC. First, the CW flow calculation model in the evaporator and the calculation model of the condenser enhanced thermal transfer using atomized CW are both set up. The influence of the evaporation degree of atomized CW particles in the air on the enhancement effect is comprehensively considered. In the simulation part, the reduction of the compressor power consumption using this method is calculated, and the effects of vehicle speed and air temperature on the condenser’s CHTC are analyzed. In the experiment part, an electric vehicle AC experimental bench is built. It is expected that the experimental result can show that this method can reduce the electric vehicle energy consumption to extend the driving range. The method proposed in this paper can optimize the electric energy consumption of electric vehicle AC and save water resources. It will effectively promote the development of new energy vehicles and be in line with the trend of energy saving and emission reduction.
- Daolin Zhou - Wuhan University of Technology
- Gangfeng Tan - Suizhou-WUT Industry Research Institute
- Zebiao Ma - Wuhan University of Technology
- Yiran Ding - Wuhan University of Technology
- Xiaofei Ma - Wuhan University of Technology
- Shuai Wang - Wuhan University of Technology
- Haoyu Wang - Wuhan University of Technology
CitationZhou, D., Tan, G., Ma, Z., Ding, Y. et al., "Energy Consumption Optimization for the Electric Vehicle Air Conditioning Using the Condensate Water," SAE Technical Paper 2019-01-0148, 2019, https://doi.org/10.4271/2019-01-0148.
Data Sets - Support Documents
|[Unnamed Dataset 1]|
|[Unnamed Dataset 2]|
|[Unnamed Dataset 3]|
- Torregrosa-Jaime, B., Payá, J., and Corberan, J., “Design of Efficient AC Systems for Electric Vehicles,” SAE Int. J. Alt. Power 2(2):291-303, 2013, doi:10.4271/2013-01-0864.
- Dieckmann, J. and Mallory, D., "Climate Control for Electric Vehicles," in SAE International Congress and Exposition, 1991.
- Cao, L., Yang, H., and Gao, J., “Design Countermeasures for Electric Vehicle Air Conditioning System,” Journal of Hunan University (Natural Sciences), 2001.
- Fang, G. and Li, H., Automotive Air Conditioning Technology (China Machine Press, 2002).
- Wan, L., “The Study of Utilization and Energy Conservation on AC Condensed Water in Summer,” Master, University of South China, 2012.
- Jin, T. and Zhang, C., “Research Progress on Recycling Technology of Condensate Water in Household ACs,” Cryo. & Supercond, 2016.
- Shen, D., Luo, W., Li, J., and Wang, J., “Research on Ultrasonic Atomized Air Conditioning Condensate Cooling Heat Exchanger,” Shanxi Architecture, 2014.
- Yao, T., “Numerical Simulation and Experimental Study of Heat and Mass Transfer Mechanisms of Droplet Evaporation,” vol. Master, Chongqing University, 2014.
- Liu, N. and Zhang, X., “Theoretical Analysis of Droplet Evaporation Process and Numerical Solution of Unsteady Process,” Refrigeration, 2007.
- Zhang, J., “Study on Flow and Heat Transfer Characteristics of Direct Air Condenser Cooling System,” vol. Doctor, Institute of Engineering Thermophysics, Chinese Academy of Sciences, 2013.
- Yu, J., Thermal Exchanger Principle and Design (Beijing University of Aeronautics and Astronautics Press, 2006).
- Zhang, X. and Gao, J., “Analysis of the Parallel Flow Type Condenser Face Velocity Selection,” Refrigeration and AC, 2011.
- Liu, L. “Heat Transfer Performance and Optimization of Evaporative Condenser,” vol. Master, in Tianjin University of Commerce, 2013.