Determination of Validation Testing Scenarios for an ADAS Functionality: Case Study
To be published on April 2, 2019 by SAE International in United States
Downloadable datasets for this paper availableAnnotation of this paper is available
As the engineering community continues working on automated driving (AD) functionalities, the topic of safety validation still provides fuel for discussions. Despite the vehicles equipped with higher level AD functionalities ready to enter service on public roads, there is still no state-of-the-art process created for safety validation procedures. In this situation, vehicles with similar functionalities may end up coming through fundamentally different validation procedure, and the public may be exposed to additional risks.
This paper fist formulates requirements which safety validation process needs to fulfill. The requirements are based on ISO 26262, PAS 21448 (SOTIF), and the state of the art requirements typical for safety applications. Then, the process of implementation of those requirements is sketched.
CitationKirovskii, O., "Determination of Validation Testing Scenarios for an ADAS Functionality: Case Study," SAE Technical Paper 2019-01-0137, 2019.
Data Sets - Support Documents
|[Unnamed Dataset 1]|
- Waymo, “Waymo Safety Report - on the Road to Fully Self Driving,” 2018. [Online]. Available: https://storage.googleapis.com/sdc-prod/v1/safety-report/Safety%20Report%202018.pdf
- Ford, “A Matter of Trust: Ford’s Approach to Developing Self-Driving Vehicles,” 2018. [Online]. Available: https://media.ford.com/content/dam/fordmedia/pdf/Ford_AV_LLC_FINAL_HR_2.pdf
- General Motors, “2018 Self-Driving Safety Report,” 2018. [Online]. Available: https://www.gm.com/content/dam/company/docs/us/en/gmcom/gmsafetyreport.pdf
- Moers, T., Klimke, J., Raudszus, D., Eckstein, L. et al., “Analysis of Statistical Models for the Safety Proof of Highly Automated Vehicles,” White Paper, 2018.
- Adams, J., Risk (London: Routledge, 1995).
- Kaiser, B.. (2018). Safety of Automated Driving - Puzzle-pieces from a consultant's experience. https://www.researchgate.net/publication/325813640_Safety_of_Automated_Driving_-_Puzzle-pieces_from_a_consultant%27s_experience.
- Bundesamt, S., “Verkehr. Verkehrsunfälle. (Fachserie 8, Reihe 7),” . In: Statistisches Bundesamt (Destatis). (2017).
- Ministry of Interior of France, “Base de données accidents corporels de la circulation”, 2016. https://www.data.gouv.fr/en/datasets/base-de-donnees-accidents-corporels-de-la-circulation/
- German In-Depth Accident Study, https://www.gidas.org/willkommen/.
- US Department of Transport, National Highway Transportation Safety Authority, “Crash Report Sampling System (CRSS). Motor Vehicle Crash Data Collection,” 2012.
- Koopman, P., “The Heavy Tail Safety Ceiling”, in Automated and Connected Vehicle Systems Testing Symposium, 2018.