This content is not included in your SAE MOBILUS subscription, or you are not logged in.
AD-EYE: A Co-Simulation Platform for Early Verification of Functional Safety Concepts
ISSN: 0148-7191, e-ISSN: 2688-3627
Published April 02, 2019 by SAE International in United States
Annotation ability available
Automated Driving is revolutionizing many of the traditional ways of operation in the automotive industry. The impact on safety engineering of automotive functions is arguably one of the most important changes. There has been a need to re-think the impact of the partial or complete absence of the human driver (in terms of a supervisory entity) in not only newly developed functions but also in the qualification of the use of legacy functions in new contexts. The scope of the variety of scenarios that a vehicle may encounter even within a constrained Operational Design Domain, and the highly dynamic nature of Automated Driving, mean that new methods such as simulation can greatly aid the process of safety engineering.
This paper discusses the need for early verification of the Functional Safety Concepts (FSCs), details the information typically available at this stage in the product lifecycle, and proposes a co-simulation platform named AD-EYE designed for exploiting the possibilities in an industrial context by evaluating design decisions and refining Functional Safety Requirements based on a reusable scenario database.
Leveraging our prior experiences in developing FSCs for Automated Driving functions, and the preliminary implementation of co-simulation platform, we demonstrate the advantages and identify the limitations of using simulations for refinement and early FSC verification using examples of types of requirements that could benefit from our methodology.
|Technical Paper||Lateral and longitudinal control algorithms for visual platooning of autonomous vehicles|
|Technical Paper||Local Scene Depth Estimation Using Rotating Monocular Camera|
CitationMohan, N. and Törngren, M., "AD-EYE: A Co-Simulation Platform for Early Verification of Functional Safety Concepts," SAE Technical Paper 2019-01-0126, 2019, https://doi.org/10.4271/2019-01-0126.
- Waymo Inc. Waymo Disengagement Report 2017 https://web.archive.org/web/20181024212256/https://www.dmv.ca.gov/portal/wcm/connect/42aff875-7ab1-4115-a72a-97f6f24b23cc/Waymofull.pdf?MOD=AJPERES&CVID=
- Waymo Inc. On the Road to Fully Self-Driving 2017 https://waymo.com/safetyreport/
- Walters , J.P. , Younge , A.J. , Kang , D.I. , Yao , K.T. et al. GPU Passthrough Performance: A Comparison of KVM, Xen, VMWare ESXi, and LXC for CUDA and OpenCL Applications Proceedings of 2014 IEEE 7th International Conference on Cloud Computing 2014
- Wallmark , O. , Nybacka , M. , Malmquist , D. , Burman , M. et al. Design and Implementation of an Experimental Research and Concept Demonstration Vehicle Proceedings of 2014 IEEE Vehicle Power and Propulsion Conference, VPPC 2014 2014
- Wachenfeld , W. and Winner , H. The Release of Autonomous Vehicles Maurer M. , Gerdes J.C. , Lenz B. , and Winner H. Autonomous Driving: Technical, Legal and Social Aspects Berlin, Heidelberg Springer Berlin Heidelberg 2016 425 449
- Ulbrich , S. , Menzel , T. , Reschka , A. , Schuldt , F. et al. Defining and Substantiating the Terms Scene, Situation, and Scenario for Automated Driving 2015 IEEE 18th International Conference on Proceedings of Intelligent Transportation Systems (ITSC) 2015
- Törngren¸ M. , Zhang , X. , Mohan , N. , Becker , M. et al. Architecting Safety Supervisors for High Levels of Automated Driving Proceedings of the 21st IEEE International Conference on Intelligent Transportation Systems 2018
- Tokunaga , S. and Azumi , T. Co-Simulation Framework for Autonomous Driving Systems with MATLAB/Simulink 2017 IEEE Proceedings of Real-Time and Embedded Technology and Applications Symposium (RTAS) 2017
- TASS International PreScan: Simulation of ADAS & Active Safety https://tass.plm.automation.siemens.com/prescan
- Svensson , L. , Masson , L. , Mohan , N. , Ward , E. et al. Safe Stop Trajectory Planning for Highly Automated Vehicles: An Optimal Control Problem Formulation Proceedings of 2018 IEEE Intelligent Vehicles Symposium (IV) 2018
- Rupanov , V. , Buckl , C. , Fiege , L. , Armbruster , M. et al. Early Safety Evaluation of Design Decisions in E/E Architecture According to ISO 26262 Proceedings of the 3rd International ACM SIGSOFT Symposium on Architecting Critical Systems - ISARCS '12 2012
- Pütz , A. , Zlocki , A. , Bock , J. and Eckstein , L. System Validation of Highly Automated Vehicles with a Database of Relevant Traffic Scenarios Proceedings of 12th ITS European Congress 2017
- Otte , D. , Krettek , C. , Brunner , H. , and Zwipp , H. Scientific Approach and Methodology of a New In-Depth Investigation Study in Germany called Gidas Proceedings of International Technical Conference on the Enhanced Safety of Vehicles 2003
- Nvidia Inc. Nvidia Drive PX Platform https://www.nvidia.com/en-au/self-driving-cars/drive-px/
- National Highway Traffic Safety Association Automated Driving Systems 2.0: A Vision for Safety 2017 https://www.nhtsa.gov/sites/nhtsa.dot.gov/files/documents/13069a-ads2.0_090617_v9a_tag.pdf
- Mohan , N. , Torngren , M. , Izosimov , V. , Kaznov , V. et al. Challenges in Architecting Fully Automated Driving; with an Emphasis on Heavy Commercial Vehicles 2016 Workshop on Automotive Systems/Software Architectures (WASA) 2016
- Mohan , N. , Roos , P. , Svahn , J. , Törngren , M. et al. ATRIUM - Architecting under Uncertainty: For ISO 26262 Compliance 2017 Annual IEEE International Systems Conference (SysCon) 2017
- Mohan , N. 2018
- Mohan , N. , Törngren , M. , and Behere , S. A Method towards the Systematic Architecting of Functionally Safe Automated Driving-Leveraging Diagnostic Specifications for FSC Design SAE Technical Paper 2017-01-0056 2017 10.4271/2017-01-0056
- Koopman , P. and Wagner , M. Toward a Framework for Highly Automated Vehicle Safety Validation SAE Technical Paper 2018-01-1071 2018 10.4271/2018-01-1071
- Koenig , N.P. and Howard , A. Design and Use Paradigms for Gazebo, an Open-Source Multi-Robot Simulator 2004 IEEE/RSJ International Conference on Intelligent Robots and Systems (IROS) 2004
- Kato , S. , Takeuchi , E. , Ishiguro , Y. , Ninomiya , Y. et al. An Open Approach to Autonomous Vehicles IEEE Micro 35 6 60 68 2015
- Kalra , N. and Paddock , S.M. 2016
- General Motors Inc. 2018 Self-Driving Safety Report 2018 https://web.archive.org/web/20180302210540/https://www.gm.com/content/dam/gm/en_us/english/selfdriving/gmsafetyreport.pdf
- Boyd , J.R. The Essence of Winning and Losing 1996 http://pogoarchives.org/m/dni/john_boyd_compendium/essence_of_winning_losing.pdf
- Blochwitz , T. , Otter , M. , Akesson , J. , Arnold , M. et al. Functional Mockup Interface 2.0: The Standard for Tool Independent Exchange of Simulation Models Proceedings of the 9th International MODELICA Conference Sep. 3-5, 2012 Munich, Germany 2012
- Amersbach , C. and Winner , H. 2017