Spray-Wall Dynamics of High-Pressure Impinging Combustion
Published January 15, 2019 by SAE International in United States
Downloadable datasets for this paper availableAnnotation of this paper is available
The fuel spray impingement on the piston head and/or chamber often occurs in compact IC engines. The impingement plays one of the key roles in combustion because it affects the air-fuel mixing process. In this study, the impinged combustion has been experimentally investigated to understand the mechanism and dynamics of flame-wall interaction. The experiments were performed in a constant volume combustion chamber over a wide range of ambient conditions. The ambient temperature was varied from 800 K to 1000 K and ambient gas oxygen was varied from 15% to 21%. Diesel fuel was injected with an injection pressure of 150 MPa into ambient gas at a density of 22.8 kg/m3. The natural luminosity technique was applied in the experiments to explore the impinged combustion process. High-speed images were taken using a high-speed camera from two different views (bottom and side). An in-house Matlab program was used to post-process the images. The potential region of soot formation was found on the impinging plate based on the strength of local soot luminosity. The effect of air entrainment on the flame propagation was investigated by studying the curvature of the flame outer boundary when flame impingement. Further, the apparent heat release rate (aHRR) was measured during flame impingement and the governing combustion modes (premixed and diffusion) in the impinged combustion were discussed.
CitationZhao, Z., Zhu, X., Zhao, L., Naber, J. et al., "Spray-Wall Dynamics of High-Pressure Impinging Combustion," SAE Technical Paper 2019-01-0067, 2019, https://doi.org/10.4271/2019-01-0067.
Data Sets - Support Documents
|[Unnamed Dataset 1]|
- Heywood, J.B., Internal Combustion Engine Fundamentals (1988).
- Mathis, U., Mohr, M., Kaegi, R., Bertola, A. et al., “Influence of Diesel Engine Combustion Parameters on Primary Soot Particle Diameter,” Environmental Science & Technology 39(6):1887-1892, 2005, doi:10.1021/es049578p.
- Park, W., Park, S., Reitz, R.D., and Kurtz, E., “The Effect of Oxygenated Fuel Properties on Diesel Spray Combustion and Soot Formation,” Combustion and Flame 180:276-283, 2017, doi:10.1016/j.combustflame.2016.02.026.
- Frenklach, M., “Reaction Mechanism of Soot Formation in Flames,” Physical Chemistry Chemical Physics 4(11):2028-2037, 2002, doi:10.1039/B110045A.
- Jyothi, U. and Reddy, K.V.K., “Experimental Study on Hydrogen Enriched Diesel Engine with Varied Piston Bowl Geometry for Emission Reduction,” Journal on Mechanical Engineering 6(1):16, 2015.
- Wang, X., Huang, Z., Zhang, W., Kuti, O.A. et al., “Effects of Ultra-High Injection Pressure and Micro-Hole Nozzle on Flame Structure and Soot Formation of Impinging Diesel Spray,” Applied Energy 88(5):1620-1628, 2011, doi:10.1016/j.apenergy.2010.11.035.
- Taşkiran, Ö.O. and Ergeneman, M., “Experimental Study on Diesel Spray Characteristics and Autoignition Process,” Journal of Combustion, 2011.
- Dec, J.E., “A Conceptual Model of DI Diesel Combustion Based on Laser-Sheet Imaging,” SAE Technical Paper 970873, 1997, doi:10.4271/970873.
- Musculus, M.P., Miles, P.C., and Pickett, L.M., “Conceptual Models for Partially Premixed Low-Temperature Diesel Combustion,” Progress in Energy and Combustion Science 39(2-3):246-283, 2013, doi:10.1016/j.pecs.2012.09.001.
- Jain, A., Singh, A.P., and Agarwal, A.K., “Effect of Fuel Injection Parameters on Combustion Stability and Emissions of a Mineral Diesel Fueled Partially Premixed Charge Compression Ignition (PCCI) Engine,” Applied Energy 190:658-669, 2017, doi:10.1016/j.apenergy.2016.12.164.
- Singh, A.P. and Agarwal, A.K., “Partially Homogenous Charge Compression Ignition Engine Development for Low Volatility Fuels,” Energy & Fuels 31(3):3164-3181, 2017, doi:10.1021/acs.energyfuels.6b02832.
- Cheng, X.-B., Hu, Y.-Y., Yan, F.-Q., Chen, L. et al., “Investigation of the Combustion and Emission Characteristics of Partially Premixed Compression Ignition in a Heavy-Duty Diesel Engine,” Proceedings of the Institution of Mechanical Engineers, Part D: Journal of Automobile Engineering 228(7):784-798, 2014, doi:10.1177/0954407013513012.
- Musculus, M.P., Dec, J.E., Tree, D.R., Daly, D. et al., “Effects of Water-Fuel Emulsions on Spray and Combustion Processes in a Heavy-Duty DI Diesel Engine,” SAE Technical Paper 2002-01-2892, 2002, doi:10.4271/2002-01-2892.
- Drake, M.C., Fansler, T.D., Solomon, A.S., and Szekely, G., “Piston Fuel Films as a Source of Smoke and Hydrocarbon Emissions from a Wall-Controlled Spark-Ignited Direct-Injection Engine,” SAE Technical Paper 2003-01-0547, 2003, doi:10.4271/2003-01-0547.
- Zhao, L., Zhao, Z., Zhu, X., and Ahuja, N., “High Pressure Impinging Spray Film Formation Characteristics,” SAE Technical Paper 2018-01-0312, 2018, doi:10.4271/2018-01-0312.
- Zhao, L., Ahuja, N., Zhu, X., and Zhao, Z., “Splashing Criterion and Topological Features of a Single Droplet Impinging on the Flat Plate,” SAE Technical Paper 2018-01-0289, 2018, doi:10.4271/2018-01-0289.
- Du, W., Zhang, Q., Zhang, Z., Lou, J. et al., “Effects of Injection Pressure on Ignition and Combustion Characteristics of Impinging Diesel Spray,” Applied Energy 226:1163-1168, 2018, doi:10.1016/j.apenergy.2018.06.032.
- Bruneaux, G., “Combustion Structure of Free and Wall-Impinging Diesel Jets by Simultaneous Laser-Induced Fluorescence of Formaldehyde, Poly-Aromatic Hydrocarbons, and Hydroxides,” International Journal of Engine Research 9(3):249-265, 2008, doi:10.1243/14680874JER00108.
- Zhu, X., Zhao, L., Zhao, Z., Ahuja, N. et al., “An Experimental Study of Diesel Spray Impingement on a Flat Plate: Effects of Injection Conditions,” presented at in Ilass Europe. 28th European Conference on Liquid Atomization and Spray Systems, 2017.
- Moiz, A.A., Cung, K.D., and Lee, S.-Y., “Ignition, Lift-Off, and Soot Formation Studies in N-Dodecane Split Injection Spray-Flames,” International Journal of Engine Research 18(10):1077-1087, 2017, doi:10.1177/1468087417700778.
- Otsu, N., “A Threshold Selection Method from Gray-Level Histograms,” IEEE Transactions on Systems, Man, and Cybernetics 9(1):62-66, 1979.
- Mokhtarian, F. and Mackworth, A., “Scale-Based Description and Recognition of Planar Curves and Two-Dimensional Shapes,” IEEE Transactions on Pattern Analysis and Machine Intelligence 1:34-43, 1986.
- Siebers, D.L. and Higgins, B., “Flame Lift-Off on Direct-Injection Diesel Sprays under Quiescent Conditions,” SAE Technical Paper 2001-01-0530, 2001, doi:10.4271/2001-01-0530.
- Higgins, B., Siebers, D., and Aradi, A., “Diesel-Spray Ignition and Premixed-Burn Behavior,” SAE Technical Paper 2000-01-0940, 2000, doi:10.4271/2000-01-0940.
- Kimura, S., Aoki, O., Kitahara, Y., and Aiyoshizawa, E., “Ultra-Clean Combustion Technology Combining a Low-Temperature and Premixed Combustion Concept for Meeting Future Emission Standards,” SAE Technical Paper 2001-01-0200, 2001, doi:10.4271/2001-01-0200.