This content is not included in your SAE MOBILUS subscription, or you are not logged in.
An Experimental Study of the Effects of Coolant Temperature on Particle Emissions from a Dual Injection Gasoline Engine
ISSN: 0148-7191, e-ISSN: 2688-3627
Published January 15, 2019 by SAE International in United States
This content contains downloadable datasetsAnnotation ability available
Euro VI emission standards have set a very strict limitation on particulate matter emissions of Gasoline Direct Injection (GDI) engine. It is difficult for GDI engine to meet the Euro VI PN regulation (6×1011#/km) without a series of complicated after-treatment devices such as Gasoline Particulate Filter (GPF). Previous research shows that GDI vehicles under cold start condition account for more than 50% of both particle number and mass emissions during the entire NEDC driving cycle. Dual Injection Gasoline engine is based on the GDI engine by adding a set of port fuel injection system. The good mixing characteristics of the port fuel injection system can help to reduce the particulate matter emissions of the GDI engine during the cold start condition. In this study, a Cambustion DMS500 fast particle spectrometer was employed to characterize the effects of coolant temperature and direct injection ratio on particulate emissions from a turbocharged four-cylinder dual-injection gasoline engine. The experimental results showed that with the coolant temperature increasing the particulate matter tended to be consistent under the port fuel injection mode. The particulate matter showed significantly drop with the coolant temperature increasing both in the dual injection mode and the direct injection mode. At the same coolant temperature, with the decrease of the direct injection ratio, the particulate matter showed notably reductions, and with the increase of coolant temperature, the magnitude of the reductions gradually declined. The experimental results provided important guidance to reduce the particulate matter via dual injection mode during the cold start condition.
CitationXia, C., Chen, W., Fang, J., and Huang, Z., "An Experimental Study of the Effects of Coolant Temperature on Particle Emissions from a Dual Injection Gasoline Engine," SAE Technical Paper 2019-01-0051, 2019, https://doi.org/10.4271/2019-01-0051.
Data Sets - Support Documents
|Unnamed Dataset 1|
|Unnamed Dataset 2|
- Bromberg , L. and Cohn , D. Optimized PFI+DI Operation for Minimizing DI Gasoline Engine Particulates SAE Technical Paper 2018-01-1415 2018 10.4271/2018-01-1415
- Johnson , T. and Joshi , A. Review of Vehicle Engine Efficiency and Emissions SAE Technical Paper 2017-01-0907 2017 10.4271/2017-01-0907
- Shibata , H. , Mizobuchi , T. , Iwamuro , M. , Koda , A. et al. New Spray Concept Development for Dual Injection System SAE Technical Paper 2017-01-0835 2017 10.4271/2017-01-0835
- Chiatti , G. , Chiavola , O. , Recco , E. , and Palmieri , F. Soot Particles Experimental Characterization during Cold Start of a Micro Car Engine Energy Procedia 101 662 669 2016 10.1016/j.egypro.2016.11.084
- Golzari , R. , Li , Y. , and Zhao , H. Impact of Port Fuel Injection and In-Cylinder Fuel Injection Strategies on Gasoline Engine Emissions and Fuel Economy SAE Technical Paper 2016-01-2174 2016 10.4271/2016-01-2174
- Badshah , H. , Kittelson , D. , and Northrop , W. Particle Emissions from Light-Duty Vehicles during Cold-Cold Start SAE Int.J. Engines 9 3 1775 1785 2016 10.4271/2016-01-0997
- Badshah , H. and Khalek , I. Solid Particle Emissions from Vehicle Exhaust during Engine Start-Up SAE Int. J. Engines 8 4 1492 1502 2015 10.4271/2015-01-1077
- Iorio , S.D. , Sementa , P. , and Vaglieco , B. Experimental Characterization of an Ethanol DI - Gasoline PFI and Gasoline DI - Gasoline PFI Dual Fuel Small Displacement SI Engine SAE Technical Paper 2015-01-0848 2015 10.4271/2015-01-0848
- Fu , H. , Wang , Y. , Li , X. , and Shuai , S. Impacts of Cold-Start and Gasoline RON on Particulate Emission from Vehicles Powered by GDI and PFI Engines SAE Technical Paper 2014-01-2836 2014 10.4271/2014-01-2836
- Longfei , C. , Zhirong , L. , Xin , Z. , and Shijin , S. Characterizing Particulate Matter Emissions from GDI and PFI Vehicles under Transient and Cold Start Conditions Fuel 189 131 140 2017 10.1016/j.fuel.2016.10.055
- Longfei , C. , Richard , S. , and Dave , R. Effect of the Valve Timing and the Coolant Temperature on Particulate Emissions from a Gasoline Direct Injection Engine Fuelled with Gasoline and with a Gasoline-Ethanol Blend J Automobile Engineering 226 10 1419 1430 10.1177/0954407012444966
- Zhang , H. , Xi , Y. , Su , C. , and Liu , Z.G. Lab Study of Urea Deposit Formation and Chemical Transformation Process of Diesel Aftertreatment System SAE Technical Paper 2017-01-0915 2017 10.4271/2017-01-0915
- Liu , Y. , Su , C. , Clerc , J. , Harinath , A. et al. Experimental and Modeling Study of Ash Impact on DPF Backpressure and Regeneration Behaviors SAE Int. J. Engines 8 3 1313 1321 2015 10.4271/2015-01-1063