CFD Simulation of Metal and Optical Configuration of a Heavy-Duty CI Engine Converted to SI Natural Gas. Part 2: In-Cylinder Flow and Emissions
Published January 15, 2019 by SAE International in United States
Downloadable datasets for this paper availableAnnotation of this paper is available
Internal combustion diesel engines with optical access (a.k.a. optical engines) increase the fundamental understanding of combustion phenomena. However, optical access requirements result in most optical engines having a different in-cylinder geometry compared with the conventional diesel engine, such as a flat bowl-in-piston combustion chamber. This study investigated the effect of the bowl geometry on the flow motion and emissions inside a conventional heavy-duty direct-injection diesel engine that can operate in both metal and optical-access configurations. This engine was converted to natural-gas spark-ignition operation by replacing the fuel injector with a spark plug and adding a low-pressure gas injector in the intake manifold for fuel delivery, then operated at steady-state lean-burn conditions. A 3D CFD model based on the experimental data predicted that the different bowl geometry did not significantly affect in-cylinder emissions distribution. In addition, while in-cylinder flow motion was similar for both engine configurations, the different combustion chamber geometry affected the combustion-induced flow motion. Similar turbulence-generating mechanisms for engines with or without optical access show promise for optical investigations of cold-flow turbulence measurements representative of heavy-duty diesel engines converted to natural-gas spark-ignition operation.
CitationLiu, J. and Dumitrescu, C., "CFD Simulation of Metal and Optical Configuration of a Heavy-Duty CI Engine Converted to SI Natural Gas. Part 2: In-Cylinder Flow and Emissions," SAE Technical Paper 2019-01-0003, 2019, https://doi.org/10.4271/2019-01-0003.
Data Sets - Support Documents
|[Unnamed Dataset 1]|
- Langness, C., Mattson, J., and Depcik, C. , “Moderate Substitution of Varying Compressed Natural Gas Constituents for Assisted Diesel Combustion,” Combustion Science and Technology 189(8):1354-1372, 2017.
- Bommisetty, H., Liu, J., Kooragayala, R., and Dumitrescu, C.E. , “Fuel Composition Effects in a CI Engine Converted to SI Natural Gas Operation,” SAE Technical Paper 2018-01-1137, 2018, doi:10.4271/2018-01-1137.
- Beck, N. , “Natural Gas-A Rational Approach to Clean Air,” SAE Technical Paper 902228, 1990, doi:10.4271/902228.
- Weaver, C. , “Natural Gas Vehicles-A Review of the State of the Art,” SAE Technical Paper 892133, 1989, doi:10.4271/892133.
- Karim, G. and Wierzba, I. , “Experimental and Analytical Studies of the Lean Operational Limits in Methane Fuelled Spark Ignition and Compression Ignition Engines,” SAE Technical Paper 891637, 1989, doi:10.4271/891637.
- Liu, J., Bommisetty, H., and Dumitrescu, C.E. , “Experimental Investigation of a Heavy-Duty CI Engine Retrofitted to Natural Gas SI Operation,” ASME 2018 Internal Combustion Engine Division Fall Technical Conference, American Society of Mechanical Engineers, ICEF2018-9611, 2018.
- Heywood, J.B. , Internal Combustion Engine Fundamentals, 1988.
- Liu, J. and Dumitrescu, C.E. , “Combustion Visualization in a Single-Cylinder Heavy-Duty CI Engine Converted to Natural Gas SI Operation,” presented at Spring Technical Meeting Eastern States Section of the Combustion Institute, State College, PA, USA, March 04-07, 2018.
- U.S. Department of Energy, Alternative Fuels Data Center , “Natural Gas Vehicles,” accessed 04/05/2017, available at http://www.afdc.energy.gov/vehicles/natural_gas.html.
- Aronsson, U., Chartier, C., Horn, U., Andersson, Ö. et al. , “Heat Release Comparison between Optical and All-Metal HSDI Diesel Engines,” SAE Technical Paper 2008-01-1062, 2008, doi:10.4271/2008-01-1062.
- Colban, W.F., Kim, D., Miles, P.C., Oh, S. et al. , “A Detailed Comparison of Emissions and Combustion Performance between Optical and Metal Single-Cylinder Diesel Engines at Low Temperature Combustion Conditions,” SAE Int. J. Fuels Lubr. 1(1):505-519, 2009, doi:10.4271/2008-01-1066.
- Kashdan, J.T. and Thirouard, B. , “A Comparison of Combustion and Emissions Behaviour in Optical and Metal Single-Cylinder Diesel Engines,” SAE Int. J. Engines 2(1):1857-1872, 2009, doi:10.4271/2009-01-1963.
- De Zilwa, S. and Steeper, R. , “Acquisition of Corresponding Fuel Distribution and Emissions Measurements in HCCI Engines,” SAE Technical Paper 2005-01-3748, 2005, doi:10.4271/2005-01-3748.
- Dumitrescu, C.E., Polonowski, C.J., Fisher, B.T. et al. , “Diesel Fuel Property Effects on In-Cylinder Liquid Penetration Length: Impact on Smoke Emissions and Equivalence Ratio Estimates at the Flame Lift-Off Length,” Energy & Fuels 29(11):7689-7704, 2015.
- Gehmlich, R.K., Dumitrescu, C.E., Wang, Y., and Mueller, C. , “Leaner Lifted-Flame Combustion Enabled by the Use of an Oxygenated Fuel in an Optical CI Engine,” SAE Int. J. Engines 9(3):1526-1543, 2016, doi:10.4271/2016-01-0730.
- Liu, J. and Dumitrescu, C.E. , “Flame Development Analysis in a Diesel Optical Engine Converted to Spark Ignition Natural Gas Operation,” Applied Energy 230:1205-1217, 2018.
- Dumitrescu, C.E., Cheng, A.S., Kurtz, E. et al. , “A Comparison of Methyl Decanoate and Tripropylene Glycol Monomethyl Ether for Soot-Free Combustion in an Optical Direct-Injection Diesel Engine,” Journal of Energy Resources Technology 139(4):042210, 2017.
- Cheng, A.S., Dumitrescu, C.E., and Mueller, C.J. , “Investigation of Methyl Decanoate Combustion in an Optical Direct-Injection Diesel Engine,” Energy & Fuels 28(12):7689-7700, 2014.
- Lilik, G.K., Mueller, C.J., Dumitrescu, C.E. et al. , “The Visualization of Soot Late in the Diesel Combustion Process by Laser Induced Incandescence with a Vertical Laser Sheet,” SAE Int. J. Engines 8(2):716-734, 2015, doi:10.4271/2015-01-0801.
- Dumitrescu, C.E., Mueller, C.J., and Kurtz, E. , “Investigation of a Tripropylene-Glycol Monomethyl Ether and Diesel Blend for Soot-Free Combustion in an Optical Direct-Injection Diesel Engine,” Applied Thermal Engineering 101:639-646, 2016.
- Bowditch, F. , “A New Tool for Combustion Research a Quartz Piston Engine,” SAE Technical Paper 610002, 1961, doi:10.4271/610002.
- Kashdan, J.T., Mendez, S., and Bruneaux, G. , “On the Origin of Unburned Hydrocarbon Emissions in a Wall Guided, Low NOx Diesel Combustion System,” SAE Technical Paper 2007-01-1836, 2007, doi:10.4271/2007-01-1836.
- Steeper, R. and Stevens, E. , “Characterization of Combustion, Piston Temperatures, Fuel Sprays, and Fuel-Air Mixing in a DISI Optical Engine,” SAE Technical Paper 2000-01-2900, 2000, doi:10.4271/2000-01-2900.
- Dumitrescu, C.E., Padmanaban, V., and Liu, J. , “An Experimental Investigation of Early Flame Development in an Optical SI Engine Fueled with Natural Gas,” Journal of Engineering for Gas Turbines and Power 140(8):082802-082809, 2018.
- ANSYS® Forte , “Release 17.2. User Guide,” Ansys, Inc.
- Fan, L., Li, G., Han, Z., and Reitz, R. , “Modeling Fuel Preparation and Stratified Combustion in a Gasoline Direct Injection Engine,” SAE Technical Paper 1999-01-0175, 1999, doi:10.4271/1999-01-0175.
- Tan, Z. and Reitz, R.D. , “An Ignition and Combustion Model Based on the Level-Set Method for Spark Ignition Engine Multidimensional Modeling,” Combustion and Flame 145(1-2):1-15, 2006.
- Peters, N. , Turbulent Combustion (Cambridge University Press, 2000).
- ANSYS® Forte , “Release 17.2. Forte Theory,” Ansys, Inc.
- Han, Z. and Reitz, R.D. , “Turbulence Modeling of Internal Combustion Engines Using RNG κ-ε Models,” Combustion Science and Technology 106(4-6):267-295, 1995.
- Yakhot, V. and Orszag, S.A. , “Renormalization Group Analysis of Turbulence. I. Basic Theory,” Journal of Scientific Computing 1(1):3-51, 1986.
- Liu, J., Szybist, J., and Dumitrescu, C.E. , “Choice of Tuning Parameters on 3D IC Engine Simulations Using G-Equation,” SAE Technical Paper 2018-01-0183, 2018, doi:10.4271/2018-01-0183.
- Verma, I., Bish, E., Kuntz, M., Meeks, E. et al. , “CFD Modeling of Spark Ignited Gasoline Engines-Part 1: Modeling the Engine under Motored and Premixed-Charge Combustion Mode,” SAE Technical Paper 2016-01-0591, 2016, doi:10.4271/2016-01-0591.
- Verma, I., Bish, E., Kuntz, M., Meeks, E. et al. , “CFD Modeling of Spark Ignited Gasoline Engines-Part 2: Modeling the Engine in Direct Injection Mode along with Spray Validation,” SAE Technical Paper 2016-01-0579, 2016, doi:10.4271/2016-01-0579.
- Liu, J. and Dumitrescu, C.E. , “3D CFD Simulation of a CI Engine Converted to SI Natural Gas Operation Using the G-Equation,” Fuel 232:833-844, 2018.
- Liu, J. and Dumitrescu, C.E. , “Lean-Burn Characteristics of a Heavy-Duty Diesel Engine Retrofitted to Natural Gas Spark Ignition,” ASME 2018 International Mechanical Engineering Congress and Exposition, American Society of Mechanical Engineers, IMECE2018-87761, 2018.
- Liu, J. and Dumitrescu, C.E. , “Numerical Simulation of Re-Entrant Bowl Effects on Natural Gas SI Operation,” ASME 2018 Internal Combustion Engine Division Fall Technical Conference, American Society of Mechanical Engineers, ICEF2018-9609, 2018.
- Stocchi, I., Liu, J., Dumitrescu, C.E. et al. , “Effect of Piston Crevices on 3D Simulation of a Heavy-Duty Diesel Engine Retrofitted to Natural Gas Spark Ignition,” ASME 2018 International Mechanical Engineering Congress and Exposition, American Society of Mechanical Engineers, IMECE2018-87783, 2018.
- Fröhlich, J. and Von Terzi, D. , “Hybrid LES/RANS Methods for the Simulation of Turbulent Flows,” Progress in Aerospace Sciences 44(5):349-377, 2008.
- Zeldovich, Y.A., Frank-Kamenetskii, D., and Sadovnikov, P. , “Oxidation of Nitrogen in Combustion," Publishing House of the Acad of Sciences of USSR,” 1947.