This content is not included in your SAE MOBILUS subscription, or you are not logged in.
CFD Simulation of Metal and Optical Configuration of a Heavy-Duty CI Engine Converted to SI Natural Gas. Part 1: Combustion Behavior
ISSN: 0148-7191, e-ISSN: 2688-3627
Published January 15, 2019 by SAE International in United States
This content contains downloadable datasetsAnnotation ability available
Internal combustion engines with optical access (a.k.a. optical engines) provide additional information in the quest for understanding the fundamental in-cylinder combustion phenomena. However, most optical engines have flat bowl-in-piston combustion chamber to optimize the visualization process, which is different, for example, from the traditional re-entrant bowl in compression ignition engines. A conventional heavy-duty direct-injection compression ignition engine was converted to spark ignition operation by replacing the fuel injector with a spark plug in both optical and metal setups to investigate the effect of the bowl geometry on flame propagation. Experimental data from steady-state lean-burn conditions was used to develop and validate a 3D CFD model of the engine. Numerical simulation results show that flame propagation in the radial direction was similar for both combustion chambers despite their different geometries. However, there were differences in the late combustion behavior. As a result, the similar flame propagation inside the optical engine suggests that such engines are best used to investigate flame inception and early flame propagation inside heavy-duty CI engines converted to natural gas spark ignition operation.
CitationLiu, J. and Dumitrescu, C., "CFD Simulation of Metal and Optical Configuration of a Heavy-Duty CI Engine Converted to SI Natural Gas. Part 1: Combustion Behavior," SAE Technical Paper 2019-01-0002, 2019, https://doi.org/10.4271/2019-01-0002.
Data Sets - Support Documents
|[Unnamed Dataset 1]|
|[Unnamed Dataset 2]|
|[Unnamed Dataset 3]|
- Aronsson, U., Chartier, C., Horn, U., Andersson, Ö. et al. , “Heat Release Comparison between Optical and All-Metal HSDI Diesel Engines,” SAE Technical Paper 2008-01-1062, 2008, doi:10.4271/2008-01-1062.
- Colban, W.F., Kim, D., Miles, P.C., Oh, S. et al. , “A Detailed Comparison of Emissions and Combustion Performance between Optical and Metal Single-Cylinder Diesel Engines at Low Temperature Combustion Conditions,” SAE Int. J. Fuels Lubr. 1(1):505-519, 2009, doi:10.4271/2008-01-1066.
- Kashdan, J.T. and Thirouard, B. , “A Comparison of Combustion and Emissions Behaviour in Optical and Metal Single-Cylinder Diesel Engines,” SAE Int. J. Engines 2(1):1857-1872, 2009, doi:10.4271/2009-01-1963.
- Dumitrescu, C.E., Padmanaban, V., and Liu, J. , “An Experimental Investigation of Early Flame Development in an Optical SI Engine Fueled with Natural Gas,” Journal of Engineering for Gas Turbines and Power 140(8):082802-082809, 2018.
- Kashdan, J.T., Mendez, S., and Bruneaux, G. , “On the Origin of Unburned Hydrocarbon Emissions in a Wall Guided, Low NOx Diesel Combustion System,” SAE Technical Paper 2007-01-1836, 2007, doi:10.4271/2007-01-1836.
- Gehmlich, R.K., Dumitrescu, C.E., Wang, Y. et al. , “Leaner Lifted-Flame Combustion Enabled by the Use of an Oxygenated Fuel in an Optical CI Engine,” SAE Int. J. Engines 9(3):1526-1543, 2016, doi:10.4271/2016-01-0730.
- Liu, J. and Dumitrescu, C.E. , “Flame Development Analysis in a Diesel Optical Engine Converted to Spark Ignition Natural Gas Operation,” Applied Energy 230:1205-1217, 2018.
- Cheng, A.S., Upatnieks, A., and Mueller, C.J. , “Investigation of Fuel Effects on Dilute, Mixing-Controlled Combustion in an Optical Direct-Injection Diesel Engine,” Energy & Fuels 21(4):1989-2002, 2007.
- Dumitrescu, C.E., Polonowski, C.J., Fisher, B.T. et al. , “Diesel Fuel Property Effects on In-Cylinder Liquid Penetration Length: Impact on Smoke Emissions and Equivalence Ratio Estimates at the Flame Lift-Off Length,” Energy & Fuels 29(11):7689-7704, 2015.
- Musculus, M. , “Multiple Simultaneous Optical Diagnostic Imaging of Early-Injection Low-Temperature Combustion in a Heavy-Duty Diesel Engine,” SAE Technical Paper 2006-01-0079, 2006, doi:10.4271/2006-01-0079.
- Miles, P. , “The Influence of Swirl on HSDI Diesel Combustion at Moderate Speed and Load,” SAE Technical Paper 2000-01-1829, 2000, doi:10.4271/2000-01-1829.
- Dumitrescu, C.E., Cheng, A.S., Kurtz, E. et al. , “A Comparison of Methyl Decanoate and Tripropylene Glycol Monomethyl Ether for Soot-Free Combustion in an Optical Direct-Injection Diesel Engine,” Journal of Energy Resources Technology 139(4):042210, 2017.
- Cheng, A.S., Dumitrescu, C.E., and Mueller, C.J. , “Investigation of Methyl Decanoate Combustion in an Optical Direct-Injection Diesel Engine,” Energy & Fuels 28(12):7689-7700, 2014.
- Liu, J. and Dumitrescu, C.E. , “Combustion Visualization in a Single-Cylinder Heavy-Duty CI Engine Converted to Natural Gas SI Operation,” presented at Spring Technical Meeting Eastern States Section of the Combustion Institute, State College, PA, USA, March 04-07, 2018.
- Lilik, G.K., Mueller, C.J., Dumitrescu, C.E. et al. , “The Visualization of Soot Late in the Diesel Combustion Process by Laser Induced Incandescence with a Vertical Laser Sheet,” SAE Int. J. Engines 8(2):716-734, 2015, doi:10.4271/2015-01-0801.
- De Zilwa, S. and Steeper, R. , “Acquisition of Corresponding Fuel Distribution and Emissions Measurements in HCCI Engines,” SAE Technical Paper 2005-01-3748, 2005, doi:10.4271/2005-01-3748.
- Dumitrescu, C.E., Mueller, C.J., and Kurtz, E. , “Investigation of a Tripropylene-Glycol Monomethyl Ether and Diesel Blend for Soot-Free Combustion in an Optical Direct-Injection Diesel Engine,” Applied Thermal Engineering 101:639-646, 2016.
- Steeper, R. and Stevens, E. , “Characterization of Combustion, Piston Temperatures, Fuel Sprays, and Fuel-Air Mixing in a DISI Optical Engine,” SAE Technical Paper 2000-01-2900, 2000, doi:10.4271/2000-01-2900.
- Bowditch, F. , “A New Tool for Combustion Research a Quartz Piston Engine,” SAE Technical Paper 610002, 1961, doi:10.4271/610002.
- Bommisetty, H., Liu, J., Kooragayala, R., and Dumitrescu, C. , “Fuel Composition Effects in a CI Engine Converted to SI Natural Gas Operation,” SAE Technical Paper 2018-01-1137, 2018, doi:10.4271/2018-01-1137.
- Liu, J., Bommisetty, H., and Dumitrescu, C. , “Experimental Investigation of a Heavy-Duty CI Engine Retrofitted to Natural Gas SI Operation,” ASME 2018 Internal Combustion Engine Division Fall Technical Conference, American Society of Mechanical Engineers, ICEF2018-9611, 2018.
- ANSYS® Forte , “Release 17.2. User Guide,” Ansys, Inc.
- Fan, L., Li, G., Han, Z., and Reitz, R. , “Modeling Fuel Preparation and Stratified Combustion in a Gasoline Direct Injection Engine,” SAE Technical Paper 1999-01-0175, 1999, doi:10.4271/1999-01-0175.
- Tan, Z. and Reitz, R.D. , “An Ignition and Combustion Model Based on the Level-Set Method for Spark Ignition Engine Multidimensional Modeling,” Combustion and Flame 145(1-2):1-15, 2006.
- Peters, N. , Turbulent Combustion (Cambridge University Press, 2000).
- ANSYS® Forte , “Release 17.2. Forte Theory,” Ansys, Inc.
- Liu, J., Szybist, J., and Dumitrescu, C. , “Choice of Tuning Parameters on 3D IC Engine Simulations Using G-Equation,” SAE Technical Paper 2018-01-0183, 2018, doi:10.4271/2018-01-0183.
- Han, Z. and Reitz, R.D. , “Turbulence Modeling of Internal Combustion Engines Using RNG κ-ε Models,” Combustion Science and Technology 106(4-6):267-295, 1995.
- Yakhot, V. and Orszag, S.A. , “Renormalization Group Analysis of Turbulence. I. Basic Theory,” Journal of Scientific Computing 1(1):3-51, 1986.
- Verma, I., Bish, E., Kuntz, M., Meeks, E. et al. , “CFD Modeling of Spark Ignited Gasoline Engines-Part 1: Modeling the Engine under Motored and Premixed-Charge Combustion Mode,” SAE Technical Paper 2016-01-0591, 2016, doi:10.4271/2016-01-0591.
- Verma, I., Bish, E., Kuntz, M., Meeks, E. et al. , “CFD Modeling of Spark Ignited Gasoline Engines-Part 2: Modeling the Engine in Direct Injection Mode along with Spray Validation,” SAE Technical Paper 2016-01-0579, 2016, doi:10.4271/2016-01-0579.
- Reyes, M., Tinaut, F.V., Giménez, B. et al. , “Characterization of Cycle-To-Cycle Variations in a Natural Gas Spark Ignition Engine,” Fuel 140:752-761, 2015.
- Stocchi, I., Liu, J., Dumitrescu, C.E. et al. , “Effect of Piston Crevices on 3D Simulation of a Heavy-Duty Diesel Engine Retrofitted to Natural Gas Spark Ignition,” ASME 2018 International Mechanical Engineering Congress and Exposition, American Society of Mechanical Engineers, IMECE2018-87783, 2018.
- Liu, J. and Dumitrescu, C.E. , “3D CFD Simulation of a CI Engine Converted to SI Natural Gas Operation Using the G-Equation,” Fuel 232:833-844, 2018.
- Heywood, J.B. , Internal Combustion Engine Fundamentals, 1988.
- Liu, J. and Dumitrescu, C.E. , “Lean-Burn Characteristics of a Heavy-Duty Diesel Engine Retrofitted to Natural Gas Spark Ignition,” ASME 2018 International Mechanical Engineering Congress and Exposition, American Society of Mechanical Engineers, IMECE2018-87761, 2018.
- Liu, J. and Dumitrescu, C.E. , “Numerical Simulation of Re-Entrant Bowl Effects on Natural Gas SI Operation,” ASME 2018 Internal Combustion Engine Division Fall Technical Conference, American Society of Mechanical Engineers, ICEF2018-9609, 2018.