This content is not included in your SAE MOBILUS subscription, or you are not logged in.
Polyacrylonitrile and activated carbon composite for electric double layer capacitors
ISSN: 0148-7191, e-ISSN: 2688-3627
Published September 03, 2018 by SAE International in United States
Annotation ability available
Electrospinning of polymers blends solutions offers the potential to produce nanofibers for using in a variety of applications. Here, we report the synthesis of nanofibers with polyacrylonitrile (PAN) and activated carbon (AC) composite by employing this technique. As-produced material is an electrical conductive and high-surface material electrode with outstanding electrochemical properties, which we explore electric double layer capacitors (EDLCs) coin cell devices. Our results show that EDLCs manufactured with PAN/AC composite have fairly high specific capacitance, low internal impedance and high lifetime. All these results encourage further development of PAN/AC materials as electrode for EDLCs and Li- Air batteries devices. This new generation of devices are opening niches of applications on multi-millionaire markets such as electric vehicles & solar and wind power systems.
Positions and opinions advanced in this paper are those of the author(s) and not necessarily those of SAE. The authors solely responsible for the content of the paper.
- Carla Giselle Martins Real - Carbon Sci-Tech Labs, School of Electrical and Computer Engi
- Rafael Vicentini - Carbon Sci-Tech Labs, School of Electrical and Computer Engi
- Willian Gonçalves Nunes - Carbon Sci-Tech Labs, School of Electrical and Computer Engi
- Otávio Vilas Boas - Carbon Sci-Tech Labs, School of Electrical and Computer Engi
- Thayane Almeida Alves - Carbon Sci-Tech Labs, School of Electrical and Computer Engi
- Davi Marcelo Soares - Carbon Sci-Tech Labs, School of Electrical and Computer Engi
- Hudson Zanin - Carbon Sci-Tech Labs, School of Electrical and Computer Engi
CitationReal, C., Vicentini, R., Nunes, W., Boas, O. et al., "Polyacrylonitrile and activated carbon composite for electric double layer capacitors," SAE Technical Paper 2018-36-0310, 2018, https://doi.org/10.4271/2018-36-0310.
- Bhardwaj , N. and Kundu , S. Electrospinning: a fascinating fiber fabrication technique Biotechnology advances 28 3 325 347 2010 10.1016/j.biotechadv.2010.01.004
- Huang , Z. , Zhang , Y. , Kotaki , M. , and Ramakrishna , S. A review on polymer nanofibers by electrospinning and their applications in nanocomposites Composites science and technology 63 15 2223 2253 2003 10.1016/S0266-3538(03)00178-7
- Liu , H. , Ding , X. , Zhou , G. , Li , P. et al. Electrospinning of Nanofibers for Tissue Engineering Applications Journal of Nanomaterials 2013 3 10.1155/2013/495708
- Zhang , M. , Zhao , X. , Zhang , G. , Wei , G. et al. Electrospinning design of functional nanostructures for biosensor applications Journal of Materials Chemistry B 5 9 1699 1711 2017 10.1039/C6TB03121H
- Villarreal-Gómez , L. , Cornejo-Bravo , J. , Vera-Graziano , R. , and Grande , D. Electrospinning as a Powerful Technique for Biomedical Applications: A Critically Selected Survey Journal of Biomaterials Science, Polymer Edition 27 2 157 176 2016 10.1080/09205063.2015.1116885
- Yang , E. , Xu , Z. , Chur , L. , Behroozfar , A. et al. Nanofibrous Smart Fabrics from Twisted Yarns of Electrospun Piezopolymer ACS applied materials & interfaces 9 28 24220 24229 2017 10.1021/acsami.7b06032
- Mao , X. , Hatton , T. , and Rutledge , G. A Review of Electrospun Carbon Fibers as Electrode Materials for Energy Storage Current Organic Chemistry 17 13 1390 1401 2013 10.2174/1385272811317130006
- Heikkilä , P. and Harlin , A. Electrospinning of polyacrylonitrile (PAN) solution: Effect of conductive additive and filler on the process Express Polymer Letters 3 7 437 445 2009 10.3144/expresspolymlett.2009.53
- Pandolfo , A.G. and Hollenkamp , A.F. Carbon properties and their role in supercapacitors Journal of power sources 157 1 11 27 2006 10.1016/j.jpowsour.2006.02.065
- Kim , B. , Sy , S. , Yu , A. , and Zhang , J. Electrochemical supercapacitors for energy storage and conversion Handbook of Clean Energy Systems 2015 10.1002/9781118991978.hces112
- Lu , M. Supercapacitors: materials, systems and applications John Wiley & Sons 2013
- Pilehrood , M. , Heikkilä , P. , and Harlin , A. Preparation of carbon nanotube embedded in polyacrylonitrile (pan) nanofibre composites by electrospinning process AUTEX Research Journal 12 1 1 6 2012 10.2478/v10304-012-0001-0
- Fang , X. and Olesik , S. Carbon nanotube and carbon nanorodfilled polyacrylonitrile electrospun stationary phase for ultrathin layer chromatography Analytica chimica acta 830 1 10 2014 10.1016/j.aca.2014.04.011
- Shimodaira , N. and Masui , A. Raman spectroscopic investigations of activated carbon materials Journal of Applied Physics 92 2 902 909 2002 10.1063/1.1487434
- Da Silva , L. , De Faria , L. , and Boodts , J. Determination of the morphology factor of oxide layers Electrochimica Acta 47 3 395 403 2001 10.1016/S0013-4686(01)00738-1