This content is not included in your SAE MOBILUS subscription, or you are not logged in.
Numerical study of knock occurrence in an internal combustion engine using VVT strategy and different compression ratios
ISSN: 0148-7191, e-ISSN: 2688-3627
Published September 03, 2018 by SAE International in United States
This content contains downloadable datasetsAnnotation ability available
The adoption of high compression ratios when designing an internal combustion engine is often used to improve thermal efficiency. However, compression ratio cannot be enhanced indefinitely since elevated pressures and temperatures inside the combustion chamber may cause knock. In view of this issue, it is important to have an accurate knowledge about the conditions in which the probability of knock occurrence is high to preserve engine integrity and achieve the best performance. In addition, if numerical tools are available for this type of analysis, time and experimentation costs can be avoided. Based on this idea, this paper presents a numerical tridimensional study of knock occurrence in a spark ignition three-cylinder engine operating with different compression ratios and late intake valve closing. By means of this analysis, it was possible to represent the knock phenomenon and evaluate its main causes, as well as investigate flow patterns, mixture formation, and combustion process, besides the effect of spark advance on knock occurrence.
- Ramon Molina Valle - Centro de Tecnologia da Mobilidade – UFMG (CTM-UFMG)
- Paulo César de Ferreira Gomes - Robert Bosch Ltda.
- Marcello Brunocilla - Robert Bosch Ltda.
- Deborah Domingos da Rocha - Programa de Pós-Graduação em Engenharia Mecânica da UFMG (PP
- Fabio de Castro Radicchi - Programa de Pós-Graduação em Engenharia Mecânica da UFMG (PP
Citationda Rocha, D., de Castro Radicchi, F., de Ferreira Gomes, P., Brunocilla, M. et al., "Numerical study of knock occurrence in an internal combustion engine using VVT strategy and different compression ratios," SAE Technical Paper 2018-36-0252, 2018, https://doi.org/10.4271/2018-36-0252.
Data Sets - Support Documents
|Unnamed Dataset 1|
|Unnamed Dataset 2|
- HEYWOOD , J. B. Internal combustion engine fundamentals [S.l.]: McGraw-Hill Education 1988
- WEI , H. et al. Gasoline engine exhaust gas recirculation–a review Applied energy 99 2012
- GIACOSA , D. Motori Endotermici Alternativi 1947
- LAFOSSAS , F. A. et al. Development and Validation of a Knock Model in Spark Ignition Engines Using a CFD Code 2002-01-2701 2002
- BERNI et al. A numerical investigation on the potentials of water injection to increase knock resistance and reduce fuel consumption in highly downsized GDI engines Energy Procedia 81 2015
- ROCHA , D. D. et al. Simulação Numérica de um Spray de Etanol com Análise da Influência do Modelo de Colisão de Gotas XII Simpósio de Mecânica Computacional Diamantina 2016
- ROCHA , D. D. Caracterização do spray de etanol utilizando técnicas numéricas de simulação com validação experimental [trabalho de conclusão de curso] UFMG, Belo Horizonte 2015
- RADICCHI , F. D. C. et al. Study of the Effects of Flow Box Utilization on Charge Motion and Mixture Formation in an Internal Combustion Engine 2017-36-0335 2017