This content is not included in your SAE MOBILUS subscription, or you are not logged in.
Study of a Turbocharged Engine for Motorbike Application
ISSN: 0148-7191, e-ISSN: 2688-3627
Published October 30, 2018 by SAE International in United States
This content contains downloadable datasetsAnnotation ability available
Nowadays, the engine charging practice is widely adopted in the automotive field in relation to the “downsizing” technology: the reduction of the displacement and the adoption of a higher boost pressure, through a charging system, allow shifting the engine operating point in a zone of higher efficiency for a given engine torque. On the other hand, given a certain displacement, a supercharger can be adopted to increase the performance of the engine.
The objective of this work is to provide a detailed analysis about the feasibility of the implementation of a charged engine to a motorbike, with main focus on the possibility to achieve a challenging performance target: in a first stage, several engine architectures (In-line, V-configuration, Boxer) together with different charging concepts (centrifugal or volumetric compressor, with mechanical or fluid-dynamic connection to the engine) have been analyzed from the point of view of packaging. In a second part, a V4 engine architecture has been selected for a patrol motorcycle application: the conceptual investigation of the base engine design has been carried out with the development target of lowest possible weight and size. Several concepts of crankcase, lubrication system and clutch, type and position of gearbox and timing belt have been analyzed. Once the best configuration has been selected, the specific performance requirements of the engine have been analyzed via 1D gas-exchange simulations and a charging strategy together with optimized valve timing, intake manifold and exhaust manifold have been found out. In a last step, the mechanical analysis of the crankshaft has been performed. The calculation of the cranktrain dynamics as well as the stress distribution under the most critical load conditions allowed to define the main web parameters with the aim of preventing fatigue failure of the crankshaft.
CitationBevilacqua, V., Corvaglia, G., Fuoss, K., and Penzel, M., "Study of a Turbocharged Engine for Motorbike Application," SAE Technical Paper 2018-32-0079, 2018, https://doi.org/10.4271/2018-32-0079.
Data Sets - Support Documents
|[Unnamed Dataset 1]|
|[Unnamed Dataset 2]|
|[Unnamed Dataset 3]|
|[Unnamed Dataset 4]|
- Golloch, R. , Downsizing Bei Verbrennungsmotoren (Berlin, Heidelberg, 2005).
- Illg, F.-A. , Motorräder die Geschichte Machten - Honda Die CX 500/650-Reihe (Stuttgart: Motorbuch Verlag, 1992). ISBN:3-613-01414-9.
- Eirich, G. , “Honda CX 500/650 Turbo, Kawasaki Z 750 Turbo, Suzuki XN 85, Yamaha XJ 650 Turbo im Test,” https://www.motorradonline.de/test/vergleichstest-honda-cx-500650-turbo-kawasaki-z-750-turbo-suzuki-xn-85-yamaha-xj-650-turbo.423874.html, Motorrad Classic, 07/2012.
- Watanabe, H., Ichi, S., Saito, M., Arima, K. et al. , “Development of a Supercharged Engine for Motorcycle with a Centrifugal Supercharger,” SAE Technical Paper 2015-32-0729, 2015.
- Mezger, H. , “Turbocharging Engines for Racing and Passenger Cars,” SAE Technical Paper 780718, 1978, doi:10.4271/780718.
- Schernus, C., Nebbia, C., Dieterich, C., and Wedowski, S. , “Performance Simulation of Small Turbo GDI Engines,” GT-Suite User Conference, Frankfurt am Main, 2011.
- Licht, J., Wanner, S., Maiwald, O., and Keuler, J. , “Neue Spirallader-Generation: mehr Leistung bei weniger Verbrauch,” MTZ, 09/2012.
- Stoffregen, J. , Motorradtechnik - Grundlagen und Konzepte von Motor, Antrieb und Fahrwerk (München: Vieweg, 2004).
- Steffan, R., Hofmann, P., and Geringer, B. , “Potentials of a 48 Volt Belt-Starter-Generator in the Powertrain of an Ultra-Light Vehicle,” SAE Technical Paper 2015-01-1155, 2015, doi:10.4271/2015-01-1155.
- Bevilacqua, V., Corvaglia, G., Böger, M., and Penzel, M. , “Real Drive Efficiency Improvement in Turbocharged Engines by the Use of Expansion Intake Manifold,” European GT-Suite User Conference, Frankfurt am Main, 2016.