This content is not included in your SAE MOBILUS subscription, or you are not logged in.
A Study of Friction Behavior of a Single Cylinder Gasoline Engine
ISSN: 0148-7191, e-ISSN: 2688-3627
Published October 30, 2018 by SAE International in United States
This content contains downloadable datasetsAnnotation ability available
In order to improve the performance, fuel economy and future emission norms of a reciprocating engine, it is important to reduce the overall engine frictional losses. In this paper, author conducts an experimental study on the friction characteristics due to pumping loss, valve-train system, piston assembly, auxiliaries and transmission for a 110cc, single cylinder 4-stroke gasoline engine using frictional strip-down analysis.
This paper deals with the friction performance results for the new concept piston skirt design called the unsymmetrical skirt for least piston skirt friction. Also, parameters like piston profile, oil film thickness optimized for least friction. The piston profile is arrived for optimum contact pattern with least piston slap noise. The modified engine reduced the engine friction by 10% in comparison to the base engine.
CitationJoseph, S., Johnson, J., Umate, M., and Vipin, T., "A Study of Friction Behavior of a Single Cylinder Gasoline Engine," SAE Technical Paper 2018-32-0078, 2018, https://doi.org/10.4271/2018-32-0078.
Data Sets - Support Documents
|[Unnamed Dataset 1]|
- Kim, K.-S. et al. , “Part 3: A Study of Friction and Lubrication Behavior for Gasoline Piston Skirt Profile Concepts.”
- Vipin Sukumaran, T. et al. , “Investigation on Friction Behavior of a Single Cylinder Gasoline Engine.”
- Heywood, J.B. , Internal Combustion Engine Fundamentals (McGraw Hill International Edition, 1988).
- Zhang, Z., et al. , “Design Approach for Optimization of the Piston Ring Profile Considering Mixed Lubrication.”
- Rasheed, A.K., et al. , “Heat Transfer and Tribological Performance of Graphene Nano-Lubricant in an Internal Combustion Engine.”
- Gangopadhyay, A., et al. , “Friction Characteristics of Polyalkylene Glycol Based Engine Oil Formulations.”
- Tomic, R., et al. , “The Optimization of Crank Offset of Spark Ignition Engine.”
- Houdkova, S., et al. , “The Friction Properties of HVOF Sprayed Hard Metal Coatings.”
- Gangopadhyay, A., et al. , “Engine Friction Reduction through Surface Finish and Coatings.”
- Rahnejat, et al. , “In Cylinder Friction Reduction Using a Surface Finish Optimization Technique.”
- Karpuschewski, B., et al. , “Reduction of Friction in the Cylinder Running Surface of Internal Combustion Engines by the Finishing Process.”
- Takiquchi, M., et al. , “The Influence of Clearance between Piston and Cylinder on Piston Friction.”
- Ligier, J.L., and Noel, B. , “Friction Reduction and Reliability for Engine Bearings.”
- Totaro, et al. , “Introducing a New Piston Skirt Profile to Reduce Engine Friction.”
- Ajay Paul, J., Kumar, A.V.and , “Effect of Design and Operational Parameters of Piston Skirt on the Performance and Efficiency of Small Gasoline Engines”.
- Ganesan, V. , Internal Combustion Engines, Second Edition.