Environmental and Sustainability Aspects of an Aviation Auxiliary Power Unit Analyzed with the Aid of Exergy
Published October 30, 2018 by SAE International in United States
Downloadable datasets for this paper availableAnnotation of this paper is available
During the past decade environmental and sustainability issues have become major problems to overcome since they have caused regional and global consequences. This paper discusses the environmental and sustainability aspects of Gas Turbine (GT) based aviation Auxiliary Power Unit (APU) analyzed with the aid of exergy. Exergy analysis is a potential tool to determine exergy destructions and losses and their true magnitudes and exact locations. In this study some exergy based parameters such as: exergetic efficiency, waste exergy ratio, exergy recoverability ratio, exergy destruction ratio, environmental impact factor, and exergetic sustainability index are proposed and investigated. Cycle operating parameters such as compressor-pressure-ratio (rp,c), Turbine Inlet Temperature (TIT) have been chosen for analysis of the gas turbine cycle based APU. Mathematical modeling of the cycle has been done and the same has been coded in MATLAB. Results show that increasing waste exergy ratio decreases the exergetic efficiency and exergetic sustainability index. However, any increase in waste exergy ratio results in an increasing environmental impact of the GT cycle based APU. Exergetic efficiency, waste exergy ratio, exergy destruction ratio, environmental impact factor, and exergetic sustainability index are found to be 14.51%, 0.8549, 0.8349, 5.8917 and 0.16973 respectively for the overall cycle (rp,c= 3 and TIT =1300K). These results would be useful to make it more sustainable for future development.
CitationSahu, A. and Sahu, M., "Environmental and Sustainability Aspects of an Aviation Auxiliary Power Unit Analyzed with the Aid of Exergy," SAE Technical Paper 2018-32-0071, 2018, https://doi.org/10.4271/2018-32-0071.
Data Sets - Support Documents
|[Unnamed Dataset 1]|
|[Unnamed Dataset 2]|
- Kanoglu, M., Dincer, I., and Rosen, M.A. , “Understanding Energy and Exergy Efficiencies for Improved Energy Management in Power Plants,” Energy Policy 35:3967-3978, 2007.
- Ghaebi, H., Saidi, M.H., and Ahmadi, P. , “Exergoeconomic Optimization of a Trigeneration System for Heating, Cooling and Power Production Purpose Based on TRR Method and Using Evolutionary Algorithm,” Appl. Therm. Eng. 36:113-125, 2012, doi:10.1016/j.applthermaleng.2011.11.069.
- Naemi, S., Saffar-Avval, M., Kalhori, S.B., and Mansoori, Z. , “Optimum Design of Dual Pressure Heat Recovery Steam Generator Using Non-Dimensional Parameters Based on Thermodynamic and Thermoeconomic Approaches,” Appl. Therm. Eng. 52:371-384, 2013, doi:10.1016/j.applthermaleng.2012.12.004.
- Rosen, M.A., Dincer, I., and Kanoglu, M. , “Role of Exergy in Increasing Efficiency and Sustainability and Reducing Environmental Impact,” Energy Policy 36(1):128-137, 2008, doi:10.1016/j.enpol.2007.09.006.
- Rosen, M.A. and Dincer, I. , “Exergy as the Confluence of Energy, Environment and Sustainable Development,” Exergy, doi:10.1016/S1164-0235(01)00004-8.
- Scholz, D. , “An Optimal APU for Passenger Aircraft,” Aircraft Design and Systems Group, 5th CEAS Air and Space Conference,2015.
- Fatih, T. and Nevzet, K. , “Thermodynamic Analysis of Gas Turbine-Solid Oxide Fuel Cell (GT-SOFC) Aircraft Auxiliary Power Unit (APU),” International Journal of Advances in Mechanical and Automobile Engg. (IJAMAE) 4(1), 2017, doi:10.15242/IJAMAE.IAE1216202.
- Mishra, S., Sahu, M.K., and Sanjay , “Thermo-Dynamic Performance Investigation of Gas/Steam Combined Cycle Based on Exergy Analysis,” International Journal of Advanced Technology in Engineering and Science 4(8):558-570, 2016.
- Aydin, H. , “Exergetic Sustainability Analysis of LM6000 Gas Turbine Power Plant with Steam Cycle,” Energy 57:766-774, 2013, doi:10.1016/j.energy.2013.05.018.
- Atılgana, R., Turana, Ö., Altuntaşa, Ö., Aydınb, H., and Synyloc, K. , “Environmental Impact Assessment of a Turboprop Engine with the Aid of Exergy,” Energy 58:664-671, 2013, doi:10.1016/j.energy.2013.05.064.
- Balli, O. , “Exergy Modeling for Evaluating Sustainability Level of a High by-Pass Turbofan Engine Used on Commercial Aircrafts,” Applied Thermal Engineering 123:138-155, 2017, doi:10.1016/j.applthermaleng.2017.05.068.
- Sahu, M.K., Choudhary, T., Kumari, A., and Sanjay, R. , “Thermoeconomic, Sustainability and Environmental Damage Cost Analysis of Air Cooled CT7-7A Turboprop Engine,” SAE Technical Paper 2018-01-0774, 2018, doi:10.4271/2018-01-0774.
- Kayaa, N., Turana, Ö., Midillib, A., and Hikmet Karakoça, T. , “Exergetic Sustainability Improvement Potentials of a Hydrogen Fuelled Turbofan Engine UAV by Heating Its Fuel with Exhaust Gasses,” International Journal of Hydrogen Energy 1-16, 2015, doi:10.1016/j.ijhydene.2015.08.089.
- Midilli, A., Kucuk, H., and Dincer, I. , “Environmental and Sustainability Aspects of a Recirculating Aquaculture System,” Environmental Progress & Sustainable Energy 31(4):604-611, doi:10.1002/ep.10580.
- Balli, O. and Hepbasli, A. , “Exergoeconomic, Sustainability and Environmental Damage Cost Analyses of T56 Turboprop Engine,” Energy 64:582-600, 2014, doi:10.1016/j.energy.2013.09.066.
- Sanjay, Y., Singh, O., and Prasad, B.N. , “Energy and Exergy Analysis of Steam Cooled Reheat Gas-Steam Combined Cycle,” Appl Therm Eng 27:2779-2790, 2007, doi:10.1016/j.applthermaleng.2007.03.011.
- Sahu, A., Sahu, M., and Sanjay, R. , “Exergo-Environmental Analysis of Basic and Intercooled-Recuperated Gas Turbine Based Aviation Auxiliary Power Unit,” SAE Technical Paper 2018-01-1376, 2018, doi:10.4271/2018-01-1376.
- Touloukian, Y.S. and Tadash, M. , “Thermo-Physical Properties of Matter,” The TPRC Data Series, 6, IFI/Plenum: New York, Washington, 1970.
- Honeywell 131-9A Product Catalogue.
- Sahu, M., Choudhary, T., and Y, S. , “Exergoeconomic Analysis of Air Cooled Turboprop Engine: Air Craft Application,” SAE Technical Paper 2017-01-2044, 2017, doi:10.4271/2017-01-2044.