This content is not included in your SAE MOBILUS subscription, or you are not logged in.
Influences of Butanol Blends on Combustion and Emissions of a Small SI Engine
ISSN: 0148-7191, e-ISSN: 2688-3627
Published October 30, 2018 by SAE International in United States
This content contains downloadable datasetsAnnotation ability available
In the general efforts to replace the fossil fuels in transportation by renewable fuels the bioalcohols are an important alternative. The global share of Bioethanol used for transportation is continuously increasing. Butanol, a four-carbon alcohol, is considered in the last years as an interesting alternative fuel, both for Diesel and for Gasoline application. Its advantages for engine operation are: good miscibility with gasoline and diesel fuels, higher calorific value than Ethanol, lower hygroscopicity, lower corrosivity and possibility of replacing aviation fuels.
In the present work research with different nButanol portions in gasoline (BuXX)* was performed on the 2-cylinder SI engine with variations of several parameters on engine dynamometer. At different steady state operating points were varied: spark timing (αz), air excess factor (λ) and EGR-rate. Furthermore, the conversion rates and light-off of a 3-way-catalyst were investigated. As research tools the combustion pressure indication and the exhaust gas analysis were used.
In the steady state operation, it was found that Bu-blends generally reduce the emissions of CO, HC, NOx in untreated exhaust gas and have a very little influence on catalytic conversion rates of the 3-way-catalyst. At lower engine part load, “Bu” shortens the inflammation lag and reduces the cyclic dispersion of combustion. Nevertheless, this advantage disappears at higher engine loads and with higher “Bu” portions.
The present paper shows some examples of the most important results.
|Technical Paper||Superheated Sprays of Alternative Fuels for Direct Injection Engines|
|Ground Vehicle Standard||Automotive Gasolines|
CitationCzerwinski, J., Güdel, M., Engelmann, D., and Pechout, M., "Influences of Butanol Blends on Combustion and Emissions of a Small SI Engine," SAE Technical Paper 2018-32-0058, 2018, https://doi.org/10.4271/2018-32-0058.
Data Sets - Support Documents
|Unnamed Dataset 1|
|Unnamed Dataset 2|
|Unnamed Dataset 3|
|Unnamed Dataset 4|
|Unnamed Dataset 5|
|Unnamed Dataset 6|
|Unnamed Dataset 7|
- Brassat , A. , Thewes , M. , Müther , M. , and Pischinger , S. 2011 988
- Marchitto , L. , Mazzei , A. , Merola , S.S. , Tornatore , C. et al. Optical Investigations of Combustion Process in SI and CI Engines Fuelled with Butanol Blends TAE Technische Akademie Esslingen, 9th International Colloquium “Fuels” Jan. 15-17, 2013
- Irimescu , A. , Tornatore , C. , Merola , S.S. , and Valentino , G. Integrated Diagnostics for Combustion Investigation in a DISI Engine Fueled with Butanol and Gasoline at Different Load Settings TAE Technische Akademie Esslingen, 10th International Colloquium “Fuels” Stuttgart/Ostfildern Jan. 2015 117
- Tornatore , C. , Marchitto , L. , Valentino , G. , Corcione , F.E. et al. Optical Diagnostics of the Combustion Process in a PFI SI Boosted Engine Fueled with Butanol-Gasoline Blend Energy 45 1 277 287 2012 10.1016/j.energy.2012.03.006
- Merola , S. , Tornatore , C. , Marchitto , L. , Valentino , G. et al. Experimental Investigations of Butanol-Gasoline Blends Effects on the Combustion Process in a SI Engine International Journal of Energy and Environmental Engineering 2012 2251-6832 10.1186/2251-6832-3-6
- Szwaja , S. and Naber , J.D. Combustion of N-Butanol in a Spark-Ignition IC Engine Fuel 89 7 1573 1582 2010 10.1016/j.fuel.2009.08.043
- Gu , X. , Huang , Z. , Cai , J. , Gong , J. et al. Emission Characteristics of a Spark-Ignition Engine Fuelled with Gasoline-N-Butanol Blends in Combination with EGR Fuel 93 611 617 2012 10.1016/j.fuel.2011.11.040
- Dernotte , J. , Mounaim-Rousselle , C. , Halter , F. , and Seers , P. Evaluation of Butanol-Gasoline Blends in a Port Fuel-Injection, Spark-Ignition Engine Oil Gas Sci Technol - Rev IFP 65 345 351 2010 10.2516/ogst/2009034
- Vojtisek-Lom , M. , Pechout , M. , and Mazac , M. Real-Word On-Road Exhaust Emissions from an Ordinary Gasoline Car Operated on E85 and on Butanol-Gasoline Blend SAE Technical Paper 2013-24-0102 2013 10.4271/2013-24-0102
- Soloiu , V. , Duggan , M. , Harp , S. , Vlcek , B. et al. PFI (Port Fuel Injection) of N-Butanol and Direct Injection of Biodiesel to Attain LTC (Low-Temperature Combustion) for Low-Emissions Idling in a Compression Engine Energy 52 143 154 2013
- Salenbauch , S.T. , Storch , M. , Hain , D. , Hartl , S. et al. 15th Conference “The Working Process of the Internal Combustion Engines Graz Sept. 24-25, 2015