This content is not included in your SAE MOBILUS subscription, or you are not logged in.
Artificial Neural Network Based Predictive Real Drive Emission and Fuel Economy Simulation of Motorcycles
ISSN: 0148-7191, e-ISSN: 2688-3627
Published October 30, 2018 by SAE International in United States
This content contains downloadable datasetsAnnotation ability available
As the number of different engine and vehicle concepts for powered-two wheelers is very high and will even rise with hybridization, the simulation of emissions and fuel consumption is indispensable for further development towards more environmentally friendly mobility. In this work, an adaptive artificial neural network based predictive model for emission and fuel consumption simulation of motorcycles operated in real world conditions is presented. The model is developed in Matlab and Simulink and is integrated into a longitudinal vehicle dynamic simulation whereby it is possible to simulate various and not yet measured test cycles. Subsequently, it is possible to predict real drive emissions RDE and on-road fuel consumption by a minimum of previous measurement effort. The modelling approach is adaptive in terms of usability for different engine and exhaust gas treatment systems as the model does not require specific knowledge of technical vehicle parameters, which might be unknown due to manufacturers’ concealment. Backpropagation is used as supervised learning technique for training the neural networks and various learning inputs are investigated and evaluated. The paper expands on previous research of possible measurement methodologies for real drive emissions for motorcycles to minimize the effort in estimating real world effects and to serve as a tool for further improvement towards upcoming more stringent emission limits. Therefore, the applicability of the software will be shown with three examples. Moreover, tools are presented to assign emission relevant scenarios to specific driving patterns and to assess them according to the vehicles driving dynamic.
CitationHiesmayr, J., Schmidt, S., Hausberger, S., and Kirchberger, R., "Artificial Neural Network Based Predictive Real Drive Emission and Fuel Economy Simulation of Motorcycles," SAE Technical Paper 2018-32-0030, 2018, https://doi.org/10.4271/2018-32-0030.
Data Sets - Support Documents
|[Unnamed Dataset 1]|
- Puri, M., Solaki, A., Padawer, T., Tipparaju, S. et al. , Introduction to Artificial Neural Network (ANN) as a Predictive Tool for Drug Design, Discovery, Delivery, and Disposition: Basic Concepts and Modeling (Academic Press, 2016).
- Hagan, M., Demuth, H., Beale, M. and De Jesús, O. , Neural Network Design, 2014.
- Khare, M. and Nagendra, S.M.S. , Artificial Neural Networks in Vehicular Pollution Modelling, Studies in Computational Intelligence, 2007.
- Sayin, C., Ertunc, M., Hosoz, M., Kilicaslan, I. et al. , "Performance and Exhaust Emission of a Gasoline Engine Using Artificial Neural Network," 2007.
- Asher, Z., Galang, A., Briggs, W., Johnston, B. et al. , “Economic and Efficient Hybrid Vehicle Fuel Economy and Emissions Modeling Using an Artificial Neural Network,” SAE Technical Paper 2018-01-0315 , 2018, doi:10.4271/2018-01-0315.
- Yap, W.K. , Emissions Predictive Modelling and Simulation for a Plug-In Hybrid Electric Scooter (Tasmania: University of Tasmania, 2005).
- Layne, J., Passino, K., and Yorkovich, S. , “Fuzzy Learning Control for Antiskid Braking Systems,” IEEE Transactions on Control Systems Technology, 1993.
- Nelles, O. , “Intelligent Tip: A Learning Driving Strategy for Automated Transmissions,” SAE Technical Paper 2003-01-0534 , 2003, doi:10.4271/2003-01-0534.
- Mohammadhassani, J., Dadvand, A., Khalilarya, S., and Solimanpur, M. , “Prediction and Reduction of Diesel Engine Emissions Using a Combined ANN-ACO Method,” Applied Soft Computing, 2015.
- Pelkmans, L., Debal, P., Hood, T., Hauser, G. et al. , “Development of a Simulation Tool to Calculate Fuel Consumption and Emissions of Vehicles Operating in Dynamic Conditions,” SAE Technical Paper 2004-01-1873 , 2004, doi:10.4271/2004-01-1873.
- Gao, Z., Conklin, J.C., Daw, C.S. and Chakravarthy, V.K. , "A Proposed Methodology for Estimating Transient Engine-out Temperature and Emissions from Steady-State Maps," 2010.
- Giakoumis, E.G. and Alafouzos, A.I. , "Study of Diesel Engine Performance and Emissions during a Transient Cycle Applying an Engine Mapping-Based Methodology," Elsevier, 2010.
- Mizushima, N., Yamaguchi, K., Kawano, D., Suzuki, H. et al. , “A Study on High-Accuracy Test Method for Fuel Consumption of Heavy-Duty Diesel Vehicles Considering the Transient Characteristics of Engines,” SAE Int. J. Fuels Lubr 9(2):383-391, 2016.
- Li, H., Vutts, K., Zaseck, K., Liao-McPherson, D. et al. , “Emissions Modeling of a Light-Duty Diesel Engine for Model-Based Control Design Using Multi-Layer Perceptron Neural Networks,” SAE Technical Paper 2017-01-0601 , 2017, doi:10.4271/2017-01-0601.
- Brace, C.J., Daecon, M., Vaughan, N.D., Charlton, S.J. et al. , "Prediction of Emissions from a Turbocharged Passenger Car Diesel Engine Using a Neural Network," USA.
- Javed, S., Satyanarayana Murthy, Y.V.V., Ulla Baig, R. Prasada Rao, D. and , "Development of ANN Model for Prediction of Performance and Emission Characteristics of Hydrogen Dual Fueled Diesel Engine with Jatropha Methyl Ester Biodiesel Blends," Elsevier, 2015.
- Ho, T., Karri, V., Lim, D. and Barret, D. , "An Investigation of Engine Performance Parameters and Artificial Intelligent Emission Prediction of Hydrogen Powered Car," Elsevier, 2008.
- Sharma, N., Chaudhry, K., and Rao, C. , “Vehicular Pollution Modeling Using Artificial Neural Network Technique: A Review,” Journal of Scientific & Industrial Research, 2005.
- MathWorks , Matlab Documentation (Natick, MA: The Math Works, Inc., 2018).
- Deb, M., Majumder, P., Majumder, A., Roy, S. et al. , "Application of Artificial Intelligence (AI) in Characterization of the Performance-Emission Profile of a Single Cylinder CI Engine Operating with Hydrogen in Dual Fuel Mode: An ANN Approach with Fuzzy-Logic Based Topology Optimization," Elsevier, India, 2016.
- Hiesmayr, J., Schmidt, S., Hausberger, S., Kirchberger, R. et al. , “Results, Assessment and Legislative Relevance of RDE and Fuel Consumption Measurements of Two-Wheeler-Application,” SAE Technical Paper, 2017.
- Zhang, C., Vinyals, O., Munos, R. and Bengio, S. , "A Study on Overfitting in Deep Reinforcement Learning," 2018.
- Littmann, E. and Ritter, H. , "Cascade Network Architectures," Proc. Intern. Joint Conference on Neural Networks, Baltimore, MD, 1992.
- Weller, K., Rexeis, M., Hausberger, S. and Zach, B. , "A Comprehensive Evaluation Method for Instantaneous Emission Measurements".
- Weilenmann, M., Soltic, P., and Ajtay, D. , “Describing and Compensating Gas Transport Dynamics for Accurate Instantaneous Emission Measurement,” Atmospheric Environment, 2003.