This content is not included in your SAE MOBILUS subscription, or you are not logged in.
Effect of Fuel Injection Timing on the Mixture Preparation in a Small Gasoline Direct-Injection Engine
ISSN: 0148-7191, e-ISSN: 2688-3627
Published October 30, 2018 by SAE International in United States
This content contains downloadable datasetsAnnotation ability available
Gasoline direct-injection (GDI) engines have evolved as a solution to meet the current demands of the automotive industry. Benefits of a GDI engine include good fuel economy, good transient response, and low cold start emissions. However, they suffer from problems, like combustion instability, misfire, and impingement of fuel on in-cylinder surfaces. Therefore, to highlight the influence of fuel injection timing on in-cylinder flow, turbulence, mixture distribution and wall impingement, a computational study is conducted on a small-bore GDI engine. Results showed that air motion inside the engine cylinder is influenced by direct-injection of fuel, with considerable variation in turbulent kinetic energy at the time of injection. Due to charge cooling effect, mixture density and trapped mass were increased by about 10.8% and 9.5%, respectively. A significant drop in mean in-cylinder temperature (about 100 °C) was observed with direct-injection of fuel as compared to the case without injection, with further variation based on injection timing. Fuel distribution near the spark plug and fuel impingement on in-cylinder surfaces are carefully evaluated. An early injection at 80 crank angle degree after top dead center of intake provided the best fuel distribution and minimum wall impingement. At the time of spark, in-cylinder turbulence was also found to be higher for this injection timing. Experimental results also indicated relatively higher brake thermal efficiency and lower emissions with early fuel injection timings, located around the mid of intake.
CitationJose, J., Parsi, A., Shridhara, S., Mittal, M. et al., "Effect of Fuel Injection Timing on the Mixture Preparation in a Small Gasoline Direct-Injection Engine," SAE Technical Paper 2018-32-0014, 2018, https://doi.org/10.4271/2018-32-0014.
Data Sets - Support Documents
|[Unnamed Dataset 1]|
- Mittal, M., Hung, D.L.S., Zhu, G., and Schock, H. , “A Study of Fuel Impingement Analysis on In-Cylinder Surfaces in a Direct-Injection Spark-Ignition Engine with Gasoline and Ethanol-Gasoline Blended Fuels,” SAE Technical Paper 2010-01-2153 , 2010, doi:10.4271/2010-01-2153.
- Bogarra, M., Herreros, J.M., Hergueta, C., Tsolakis, A. et al. , “Influence of Three-Way Catalyst on Gaseous and Particulate Matter Emissions during Gasoline Direct Injection Engine Cold-Start,” Johnson Matthey Technol. Rev. 61(4):329-341, 2017, doi:10.1595/205651317X696315.
- Liu, Y., Pei, Y., Peng, Z., Qin, J. et al. , “Spray Development and Droplet Characteristics of High Temperature Single-Hole Gasoline Spray,” Fuel 191:97-105, 2017, doi:10.1016/j.fuel.2016.11.068.
- Zhao, F.-Q., Lai, M.-C., and Harrington, D.L. , “A Review of Mixture Preparation and Combustion Control Strategies for Spark-Ignited Direct-Injection Gasoline Engines,” SAE Technical Paper 970627 , 1997, doi:10.4271/970627.
- Takagi, Y., Itoh, T., Muranaka, S., Iiyama, A. et al. , “Simultaneous Attainment of Low Fuel Consumption High Output Power and Low Exhaust Emissions in Direct Injection SI Engines,” SAE Technical Paper 980149 , 1998, doi:10.4271/980149.
- Xie, F., Zheng, W., Chen, H., Liu, Y. et al. , “Effects of Split and Single Injection Strategies on Particle Number Emission and Combustion of a GDI Engine,” Proc. Inst. Mech. Eng. Part D J. Automob. Eng. 095440701875973, 2018, doi:10.1177/0954407018759739.
- Reddy, A.A. and Mallikarjuna, J.M. , “Parametric Study on a Gasoline Direct Injection Engine - A CFD Analysis,” SAE Technical Paper 2017-26-0039 , 2017, doi:10.4271/2017-26-0039.
- Harshavardhan, B. and Mallikarjuna, J.M. , “Effect of Combustion Chamber Geometry on In-Cylinder Flows and Equivalence Ratio Spread in a Direct Injection Engine - a CFD Analysis,” Appl. Mech. Mater. 330:815-820, 2013, doi:10.4028/www.scientific.net/AMM.330.815.
- Fan, L., Li, G., Han, Z., and Reitz, R.D. , “Modeling Fuel Preparation and Stratified Combustion in a Gasoline Direct Injection Engine,” SAE Technical Paper 1999-01-0175 , 1999, 2018, doi:10.4271/1999-01-0175.
- Park, C., Kim, S., Kim, H., and Moriyoshi, Y. , “Stratified Lean Combustion Characteristics of a Spray-Guided Combustion System in a Gasoline Direct Injection Engine,” Energy 41(1):401-407, 2012, doi:10.1016/j.energy.2012.02.060.
- Kim, J., Yim, E., Jeon, C., Jung, C. et al. , “Experimental Investigation of Impacts of Injection Timing and Pressure on Combustion and Particulate Matter Emission in a Spray-Guided GDI Engine,” Int. J Automot. Technol. 13(2):293-300, 2012, doi:10.1007/s12239.
- Jose, J. V, Mittal, M., and Ramesh, A. , “A Computational Study of In-Cylinder Flow and the Influence of Injection Timing on Mixture Preparation in a Small-Bore GDI Engine,” NCICEC Conf. Proceedings, 2017.
- Mittal, M., Hung, D.L.S., Zhu, G., and Schock, H. , “High-Speed Flow and Combustion Visualization to Study the Effects of Charge Motion Control on Fuel Spray Development and Combustion inside a Direct-Injection Spark-Ignition Engine,” SAE Int. J. Engines 4(1):1469, 2011-1480, doi:10.4271/2011-01-1213.
- Serras-Pereira, J., Aleiferis, P.G., and Richardson, D. , “Imaging and Heat Flux Measurements of Wall Impinging Sprays of Hydrocarbons and Alcohols in a Direct-Injection Spark-Ignition Engine,” Fuel 91(1):264-297, 2012, doi:10.1016/j.fuel.2011.07.037.
- Parsi, A. , “Conversion of an MPFI engine into a GDI Engine and Implementation of Skip Fire Method,” Thesis Report, Bachelor Technol. Mech. Eng. IIT Madras, 1-74, 2016.
- Han, Z. and Reitz, R.D. , “Turbulence Modeling of Internal Combustion Engines Using RNG K-ɛ Models,” Combust. Sci. Technol. 106(4-6):267-295, 1995, doi:10.1080/00102209508907782.
- Liu, Y.D., Jia, M., Xie, M.Z., and Pang, B. , “Enhancement on a Skeletal Kinetic Model for Primary Reference Fuel Oxidation by Using a Semi-Decoupling Methodology,” Energy and Fuels 26(12):7069-7083, 2012, doi:10.1021/ef301242b.
- Reitz, R.D. and Beale, J.C. , “Modeling Spray Atomization with the Kelvin-Helmholtz/Rayleigh-Taylor Hybrid Model,” Atomization Sprays 9(6):623-650, 1999, doi:10.1615/AtomizSpr.v9.i6.40.
- Su, J., Xu, M., Yin, P., Gao, Y. et al. , “Particle Number Emissions Reduction Using Multiple Injection Strategies in a Boosted Spark-Ignition Direct-Injection (SIDI) Gasoline Engine,” SAE Int. J. Engines 8(1):20-29, 2015, doi:10.4271/2014-01-2845.
- Rourke, P.J.O., Amsden, A.A., and Butler, T.D. , “Improvements of the KIVA-II Computer Program for Numerical Combustion,” Dervieux, A. and Larrouturou, B. , Numer. Combust. Lect. Notes Phys. 351(Springer, Berlin, Heidelberg), 3-4, 1989, doi:10.1007/3-540-51968-8_79.
- Liu, A.B., Mather, D., and Reitz, R.D. , “Modeling the Effects of Drop Drag and Breakup on Fuel Sprays,” SAE Int. Congr. Expo. 298(412):1-6, 1993, doi:10.4271/93007.
- O’Rourke , “Collective Drop Effects on Vaporizing Sprays,” Los Alamos National Lab., NM (USA), 1981.
- O’Rourke, P.J. and Amsden, A.A. , “A Spray/Wall Interaction Submodel for the KIVA-3 Wall Film Model,” SAE Technical Paper 2000-01-0271 , 2000, doi:10.4271/2000-01-0271.
- Han, Z., Fan, L., and Reitz, R. , “Multidimensional Modeling of Spray Atomization and Air-Fuel Mixing in a Direct-Injection Spark-Ignition Engine,” SAE Technical Paper 970884 , 1997, doi:10.4271/970884.
- Han, Z., Reitz, R.D., Yang, J., and Anderson, R.W. , “Effects of Injection Timing on Air-Fuel Mixing in a Direct-Injection Spark-Ignition Engine,” SAE Technical Paper 970625 , 1997, doi:10.4271/970625.
- Yamamoto, S., Tanaka, D., and Sato, K. , “Keys to Understanding Spray-Guided Combustion of a Narrow-Spacing Gasoline Direct Injection SI Engine with a Centrally Mounted Multi-Hole Injector,” SAE Technical Paper 2009-01-1497 2(1), 2009, doi:10.4271/2009-01-1497.
- Devassy, B.M., Bakshi, S., and Ramesh, A. , “A New Injector Concept for Multimode Operation in Gasoline Direct Injection Engines,” Int. J. Engine Res. 15(5):626-638, 2014, doi:10.1177/1468087413501315.
- Drake, M.C., Fansler, T.D., Solomon, A.S., and Szekely, G.A. , “Piston Fuel Films as a Source of Smoke and Hydrocarbon Emissions from a Wall-Controlled Spark-Ignited Direct-Injection Engine,” SAE Technical Paper 2003-01-0547 , 2003, doi:10.4271/2003-01-0547.
- Heywood, J.B. , Internal Combustion Engine Fundamentals, Mechanical Engineering Series (McGraw-Hill, 1988), doi:10987654.
- Shrinidhi, S , “Development of Gasoline Direct Injection System for a Single Cylinder Small Displacement Engine,” thesis, M.Tech. Automotomotive Technology Mech. Engg. Dept., IIT Madras, May 2017.