This content is not included in your SAE MOBILUS subscription, or you are not logged in.
Effect of Piston Bowl Geometry on Performance and Emissions with Mahua Biodiesel Blend
ISSN: 0148-7191, e-ISSN: 2688-3627
Published July 09, 2018 by SAE International in United States
This content contains downloadable datasetsAnnotation ability available
Event: International Conference on Advances in Design, Materials, Manufacturing and Surface Engineering for Mobility
The depletion of fossil fuels and environmental degradation with its emissions motivated the researchers to search for alternatives. Vegetable oils are considered as one of the productive alternative for internal combustion engines because of good combustion properties. Currently, very few commercial devices that utilize bio-diesel combustion for the production of heat, due to the economic viability and limited availability. To attain effective combustion, an effort is made in investigating the effect of change of piston geometry on the Performance & Emission characteristics of bio-diesel of mahua oil. Experiments are conducted to study the effect of varied piston bowl geometry on the performance and emission characteristics of mahua oil biodiesel on four stroke single cylinder diesel engine at constant speed of 1500 rpm for different loads. It is noticed that, at 20% blend of biodiesel of Mahua oil, the performance and emission parameters were improved compared to alone diesel operation. Hence the same optimal blend is adapted for conducting experiments by changing piston bowl geometry of toroidal shape. The experiments are conducted duly ensuring the same compression ratio as that of with standard hemispherical geometry at optimal blend of bio-diesel. It was noticed there is slight improvement in performance parameters and significant improvement in the emission parameters. At optimal blend emissions reduced by 16.4%, 11.4%, and 5.3% of unburnt hydrocarbons (UHC), Carbon monoxide (CO), Carbon dioxide respectively compared to diesel alone operation at rated load. However, there is 8% increase in oxides of Nitrogen (NOx) emission due to attainment of high combustion temperatures with biodiesel. With toroidal geometry, at optimal blend of bio-diesel the emission parameters are further reduced notably but increase in NOx emission is observed compared to standard piston due to high cylinder temperatures and pressures.
CitationU S, J. and K, V., "Effect of Piston Bowl Geometry on Performance and Emissions with Mahua Biodiesel Blend," SAE Technical Paper 2018-28-0057, 2018, https://doi.org/10.4271/2018-28-0057.
Data Sets - Support Documents
|Unnamed Dataset 1|
|Unnamed Dataset 2|
- Subramanian , K.A. , Singal , S.K. , Saxena , M. , and Singhal , S. Utilization of Liquid Biofuels in Automotive Dieel Engines: An Indian Perspective Journal of Biomass and Bio Energy 29 65 72 2005
- Azam , M. and Amtul , N.N.M. Prospects and Potential of Fatty Acid Methyl Esters of Some Non-Traditional Seed Oils for Use as Biodiesel in India Journal of Biomass and Bioenergy 29 293 302 2005
- Nandi , S. Performance of CI Engine by Using Biodiesel-Mahua Oil American Journal of Engineering Research 02 10 22 47
- Bora , D.K. , Pally , M. , and Sanduja , V. Performance Evaluation and Emission Characteristics of a Diesel Engine Using Mahua Oil Methyl Ester (MOME) SAE Technical Paper 2004-28-0034 2004 10.4271/2004-28-0034
- Puhan , S. , Vedaraman , N. , Ram , B.V.B. et al. Mahua Oil (Madhuca Indica Seed Oil) Methyl Ester as Biodiesel Preparation and Emission Characteristics Biomass Bio-Energy 28 87 93 2005
- Ogawa , H. , Matsui , Y. , Kimura , S. , and Kawashima , J. Three Dimensional Computations of the Effects of the Swirl Ratio in Direct-Injection Diesel Engines on NO X and Soot Emissions SAE Technical Paper 961125 1996 10.4271/961125
- de Risi , A. , Donateo , T. , and Laforgia , D. Optimization of the Combustion Chamber of Direct Injection Diesel Engines SAE Technical Paper 2003-01-1064 2003 10.4271/2003-01-1064
- Schapertons , H. and Thiele , F. Three Dimensional Computations for Flow Fields in DI Piston Bowls SAE Technical Paper 60463 2003 10.4271/2003-01-1064
- Saito , T. , Daisho , Y. , and Uchinda , N. Effect of Combustion Chamber Geometry on Diesel Combustion SAE Technical Paper 861186 1986 10.4271/861186
- Arcoumannis , C. , Bicen , A.F. , and Whitelaw , J.H. Squish and Swirl Squish in Motored Model Engines ASME Journal of Fluid Mechanics 105 1 105 112 1993
- Gunabalan , A. International Journal of Applied Engineering Research 2009
- Corcione , F.E. , Fusca , A. , and Valentino , G. Numerical and Experimental Analysis of Diesel Air Fuel Mixing SAE Technical Paper 931948 1993 10.4271/931948
- Jyothi , U.S. and Reddy , K.V.K. Experimental Study on Performance, Combustion and Emissions of Diesel Engine with Re-entrant Combustion Chamber of Aluminum Alloy Materials Today: Proceedings 4 2 1332 1339 2017