This content is not included in your SAE MOBILUS subscription, or you are not logged in.
Finite Element Simulation and Validation of Planetary Gear System
ISSN: 0148-7191, e-ISSN: 2688-3627
Published July 9, 2018 by SAE International in United States
This content contains downloadable datasetsAnnotation ability available
Event: International Conference on Advances in Design, Materials, Manufacturing and Surface Engineering for Mobility
The planetary gear system is a critical component in speed reduction of gear system. It consists of a ring gear, set of planetary gears, a sun gear and a carrier. It is mainly used in high speed reduction transmission. More speed variation can be achieved using this system with same number of gears. This speed reduction is based on the number of teeth in each gear. The size of new system is compact. A theoretical calculation is performed at concept level to get the desired reduction of speed. Then the planetary gear system is simulated using ANSYS software for new development transmission system. The final validation is done with the testing of physical parts. This concept is implemented in 9speed transmission system. Similar concept is in development for the hub reduction with planetary gears. The maximum 3.67 reduction is achieved with planetary system. The stresses in each pin is calculated using FEA.
CitationParoche, S., Deshmukh, H., Kandreegula, S., and Muley, A., "Finite Element Simulation and Validation of Planetary Gear System," SAE Technical Paper 2018-28-0027, 2018, https://doi.org/10.4271/2018-28-0027.
Data Sets - Support Documents
|[Unnamed Dataset 1]|
|[Unnamed Dataset 2]|
|[Unnamed Dataset 3]|
- Singh, A., Kahraman, A., and Ligata, H. , “Internal Gear Strains and Load Sharing in Planetary Transmissions: Model and Experiments,” Journal of Mechanical Design 130(7):072602, 2008.
- Parker, R.G., Agashe, V., and Vijayakar, S.M. , “Dynamic Response of a Planetary Gear System Using a Finite Element/Contact Mechanics Model,” Journal of Mechanical Design 122(3):304-310, 2000.
- Bodas, A. and Kahraman, A. , “Influence of Carrier and Gear Manufacturing Errors on the Static Load Sharing Behavior of Planetary Gear Sets,” JSME International Journal Series C Mechanical Systems, Machine Elements and Manufacturing 47(3):908-915, 2004.
- Filiz, İ.H., Olguner, S., and Evyapan, E. , “A Study on Optimization of Planetary Gear Trains,” Acta Physica Polonica, A 132(3), 2017.
- Ferguson, R.J. , “Short Cuts for Analyzing Planetary Gearing,” Machine Design 55(12):55-58, 1983.
- Hamand, Y.C. and Kalamkar, V. , “Analysis of Stresses and Deflection of Sun Gear by Theoretical and ANSYS Method,” Modern Mechanical Engineering 1(02):56, 2011.
- Ambarisha, V.K. and Parker, R.G. , “Nonlinear Dynamics of Planetary Gears Using Analytical and Finite Element Models,” Journal of sound and vibration 302(3):577-595, 2007.
- Tsai, S. J., G. L. Hwang, and S. Y. Yeh . "An Analytical Approach for Load Sharing Analysis of Planetary Gear Drives." In 13th World Congress in Mechanism and Machine Science, Guanajuato, México, pp. 19-25. 2011.