This content is not included in your SAE MOBILUS subscription, or you are not logged in.
Investigation on Underhood Airflow Management - Effect of Airflow Statistics
ISSN: 0148-7191, e-ISSN: 2688-3627
Published July 09, 2018 by SAE International in United States
This content contains downloadable datasetsAnnotation ability available
Event: International Conference on Advances in Design, Materials, Manufacturing and Surface Engineering for Mobility
The objective of this work is to examine the suitability of cooling airflow non-uniformity on radiator frontal surface as a factor to evaluate three attributes: airflow distribution, front fascia geometry and deterioration in heat rejection. In literature, the effect of front end design is investigated by evaluating the volume of cooling airflow passing through the radiator and cooling drag of a vehicle. In this study, it was demonstrated that airflow distribution on radiator frontal surface can also be considered as one of the parameters while choosing the front-end design. Using the basic equations for modeling the cooling airflow through a front-end opening, CFD approach is developed to quantify the airflow distribution over the heat exchanger(radiator) as a function of flow statistics of the upstream cooling air. Further, this work is extended to study the impact of airflow non-uniformity on the thermal performance of radiator using the empirical equation available in literature. The airflow non-uniformity was found to be sensitive to changes in the geometry of fascia particularly around the upper cooling inlet. This study reveals a vehicle level system trade-off between grille opening, cooling air mass flow rate and non-uniformity at design stage itself. The interpretations of this work can serve as a design guideline for the thermal system and styling engineers of automotive domain.
CitationBaskar, S. and Arockia Doss, S., "Investigation on Underhood Airflow Management - Effect of Airflow Statistics," SAE Technical Paper 2018-28-0024, 2018, https://doi.org/10.4271/2018-28-0024.
Data Sets - Support Documents
|Unnamed Dataset 1|
- El-Bourini , R. Road Measurements of Front End components’ Effect on Vehicle Engine Compartment Air Flow SAE Technical Paper 930145 1993 10.4271/930145
- Singh , R. and Shen , F. CFD-based Robust Optimization of Front-end Cooling Airflow SAE Technical Paper 2007-01-0105 2007 10.4271/2007-01-0105
- Johannessen , K. , Saunders , J. , Sheridan , J. , and Niclasen , D. Experimental Assessment of CFD Predictions of Fascia Performance SAE Technical Paper 2002-01-0570 2002 10.4271/2002-01-0570
- Jahani , K. and Beigmoradi , S. Under-Hood Airflow Evaluation of Pedestrian-Friendly Front-End Style Using CFD Simulation SAE Int. J. Passeng. Cars - Mech. Syst 7 2 787 792 2014 10.4271/2014-01-0762
- Kim , J.M. , Kim , K.M. , Ha , S.J. , and Kim , M.S. Grille Design For Passenger Car to Improve Aerodynamic and Cooling Performance Using CFD Technique Int. J. Automotive Tech. 17 6 967 976 2016
- Zhang , C. , Uddin , M. , Robbinson , C. , and Foster , L. Full Vehicle CFD Investigations on the Influence of Front-End Configuration on Radiator Performance and Cooling Drag Applied Thermal Engineering 2017 10.1016/j.applthermaleng.2017.11.086
- Ninoyu , M. , Kameyama , J. , Doi , H. , and Oka , H. Prediction Method of Cooling System Performance SAE Technical Paper 930146 1993 10.4271/930146
- Shen , K. , Zhang , Z. , Zhang , Z. , and Yang , Y. Investigation of Effect on Cross-Flow Heat Exchanger with Airflow Non-Uniformity under Low Reynolds Number Advances in Mechanical Engineering 9 7 1 14 2017
- Khaled , M. , Harambat , F. , and Peerhossaini , H. Analytical and Empirical Determination of Thermal Performance of Louvered Heat Exchanger - Effects of Air Flow Statistics International Journal of Heat and Mass Transfer 54 356 365 2011
- Chin , W.M. and Raghavan , V.R. Effect of the Moments of Probability Density Function for Non-Uniform Airflow Distribution on the Hydraulic Performance of a Fin-Tube Heat Exchanger Journal of Applied Sciences 11 11 1952 1958 2011
- Chin , W.M. and Raghavan , V.R. On the Adverse Influence of Higher Statistical Moments of Flow Maldistribution on the Performance of a Heat Exchanger Int J Thermal Sciences 50 581 591 2011