This content is not included in your SAE MOBILUS subscription, or you are not logged in.
A Video-Based System for Measuring the Braking Performance of a Bicycle
ISSN: 0148-7191, e-ISSN: 2688-3627
Published August 27, 2018 by SAE International in United States
This content contains downloadable datasetsAnnotation ability available
Event: Automotive Technical Papers
The following article describes a methodology for using a video-based system to measure the deceleration or braking performance of a bicycle after the rider applies the brakes. The bicycle’s deceleration was calculated from the equation of motion using the initial velocity and the braking distance, which is the difference between the point of brake initiation (POBI) and the bicycle’s point of rest (POR). The POBI was determined by using a GoPro camera mounted on the chain stay near the rear axle that captured a brake light wired into the rear brakes while the test cyclist rode alongside of a 100-foot surveyor tape. The POR or more specifically where the rear wheel stopped was documented next to the 100-foot surveyor tape. This methodology was evaluated under two braking conditions: rear brake only (RBO) and front and rear brake (FARB). The results demonstrated that the video-based system provided reasonably accurate measurements, on the order of 5% for assessing the braking performance of a bicycle for speeds in the range of 15 miles per hour (mph) or less. Additionally, observations regarding skid marks and rider technique during braking are also discussed.
CitationJoganich, T., "A Video-Based System for Measuring the Braking Performance of a Bicycle," SAE Technical Paper 2018-01-5032, 2018, https://doi.org/10.4271/2018-01-5032.
Data Sets - Support Documents
|Unnamed Dataset 1|
|Unnamed Dataset 2|
|Unnamed Dataset 3|
|Unnamed Dataset 4|
- Marlow , D.E. 1976
- VBOX Automotive https://www.vboxautomotive.co.uk/index.php/en/ 2016
- http://www.vericomcomputers.com/index.html 2016
- Sloane , E.A. Sloane’s Complete Book of Cycling. Fireside 1995
- Bretting , G. , Jansen , H. , Callahan , M. , Bogler , J. et al. Analysis of Bicycle Pitch-Over in a Controlled Environment SAE Int. J. Passeng. Cars - Mech. Syst. 3 1 57 71 2010 10.4271/2010-01-0064
- Daily , J. et al. Fundamentals of Traffic Crash Reconstruction Jacksonville, FL Institute of Police Technology and Management 2007
- http://physics.wustl.edu/introphys/Phys117_118/LabManual/Tutorials/ErrorAnalysisTutorial.pdf 2018
- Wilson , D.G. Bicycling Science Cambridge, MA The MIT Press 2004
- Fries , T. , Smith , J. , and Cronrath , K. Stopping Characteristics for Motorcycles in Accident Situations SAE Technical Paper 890734 1989 10.4271/890734
- Collins , J. Accident Reconstruction Charles , C. Thomas Publisher 1979 128 132 Baxter , A.T. Motorcycle Accident Investigation Jacksonville, FL Institute of Police Technology and Management 1997