This content is not included in your SAE MOBILUS subscription, or you are not logged in.
Real-Time Measurement of the Piston Ring Gap Positions and Their Effect on Exhaust Engine Oil Emission
ISSN: 0148-7191, e-ISSN: 2688-3627
Published May 05, 2018 by SAE International in United States
This content contains downloadable datasetsAnnotation ability available
Event: Automotive Technical Papers
Measurement techniques for piston ring rotation, engine oil emission and blow by have been implemented on a single-cylinder petrol engine. A novel method of analysis allows continuous and fast real-time identification of the piston ring rotation of the two compression rings, while the mass-spectrometric analysis of the exhaust gas delivers the cylinder oil emission instantly and with a high temporal resolution.
Only minor modifications to the piston rings were made for the insertion of the γ-emitters, the rings rotate freely around the circumference of the piston.
The idea of this setup is that through online observation at the test bench, instant feedback of the measured variables is available, making it possible to purposefully select and compare measurement points. The high time resolution of the measurement methods enables the analysis of dynamic effects.
In this article, the measurement setup and evaluation method is described. Results monitoring the ring gap positions and the exhaust engine oil emission are discussed together with results of blow-by measurements for different speeds and loads. With the production piston assembly, only minor rotational movement of piston rings was apparent at stationary operation. Measurement results of the dynamic effects are discussed.
CitationUhlig, B., Kirner, C., Preuss, A., and Wachtmeister, G., "Real-Time Measurement of the Piston Ring Gap Positions and Their Effect on Exhaust Engine Oil Emission," SAE Technical Paper 2018-01-5006, 2018, https://doi.org/10.4271/2018-01-5006.
Data Sets - Support Documents
|Unnamed Dataset 1|
- Thirouard , B. and Tian , T. Oil Transport in the Piston Ring Pack (Part I): Identification and Characterization of the Main Oil Transport Routes and Mechanisms SAE Technical Paper 2003-01-1952 2003 10.4271/2003-01-1952
- Thirouard , B. and Tian , T. Oil Transport in the Piston Ring Pack (Part II): Zone Analysis and Macro Oil Transport Model SAE Technical Paper 2003-01-1953 2003 10.4271/2003-01-1953
- Min , B. , Kim , J. , Oh , D. , Choi , J. et al. Dynamic Characteristics of Oil Consumption - Relationship between the Instantaneous Oil Consumption and the Location of Piston Ring Gap SAE Technical Paper 982442 1998 10.4271/982442
- Stegemann , D.H. 1962
- Schneider , E. and Blossfeld , D. Method for Measurement of Piston Ring Rotation in an Operating Engine SAE Technical Paper 900224 1990 10.4271/900224
- Schneider , E. , Blossfeld , D. , Lechman , D. , Hill , R. et al. Effect of Cylinder Bore Out-of-Roundness on Piston Ring Rotation and Engine Oil Consumption SAE Technical Paper 930796 1993 10.4271/930796
- Jung , S. and Jin , J. Monitoring of Rotational Movements of Two Piston Rings in a Cylinder Using Radioisotopes Journal of the Korean Nuclear Society 31 4 423 431 1999
- Knoll , G.F. Radiation Detection and Measurement Fourth Hoboken, NJ John Wiley 2010 978-0-470-13148-0
- Philippot , J.C. Automatic Processing of Diode Spectrometry Results IEEE Trans. Nucl. Sci. 17 3 446 488 1970 10.1109/TNS.1970.4325723
- Mahle GmbH Pistons and Engine Testing ATZ/MTZ-Fachbuch Second Wiesbaden Springer Fachmedien Wiesbaden 2016 3-658-09940-2
- Kirner , C. , Uhlig , B. , Behn , A. , and Feindt , M. 2015
- Frommer , A. and Thiemann , W. 2016 978-3-8440-3977-1