Feedback on Application of MBSE to an Avionics Subsystem
Published October 30, 2018 by SAE International in United States
Annotation of this paper is available
In avionics domain, currently most engineering efforts and costs come from integration, verification and validation activities. Each error found on requirements during product verification or validation requires a full engineering cycle to manage the change: impact analysis, design, realization, integration, verification and validation again. Hence, ensuring early and continuous validation of requirements in the engineering life cycle, becomes more and more crucial. In this paper, a Model-Based Systems Engineering (MBSE) approach is proposed. The proposed approach relies on SysML models and is composed of modelling tasks to capture requirements and to structure functional interfaces and functions. This approach has been applied in the frame of SAE ARP4754A aerospace recommended practices. This paper also provides feedback about the application of the proposed approach on an industrial avionic case study known as the Onboard Maintenance System by a team mainly used to document centric approach until recently. The feedback concerns the practical use of models to support functional part of the following processes: requirements capture, requirements validation, and top-level part of development of system architecture. After presenting the pilot case, results are given and discussed on several points: the lessons learned during and after application of the MBSE approach to identify use cases, to define black box scenarios, and to build the top-level functional architecture. Comments about the approach are given, e.g. use cases granularity, modelling stop criterion, communication between systems. Then, measured advantages and drawbacks of this modelling approach are discussed. The paper finally describes the challenges identified for wider adoption in the company and the remaining points of attention when extending the approach on a larger project.
CitationTang, J., Zhu, S., Faudou, R., and Gauthier, J., "Feedback on Application of MBSE to an Avionics Subsystem," SAE Technical Paper 2018-01-1922, 2018, https://doi.org/10.4271/2018-01-1922.
- Jiang, X., Zhu, S., and Tang, J. , “Model-Based Systems Engineering for the Design of Civil Aircraft Avionics System,” Proceedings of the 17th AIAA Aviation Technology, Integration, and Operations Conference, AIAA Aviation Forum, Denver, Colorado, 2017 doi:10.2514/6.2017-4395.
- Friedenthal, S., Moore, A., and Steiner, R. , A Practical Guide to SysML: The Systems Modeling Language (Morgan Kaufmann, 2014). ISBN:978-0-12-800202-5.
- Society of Automotive Engineers (SAE) , “Guidelines for Development of Civil Aircraft and Systems,” Dec. 2010.
- Maley, J. and Long, J. , “A Natural Approach to DoDAF: Systems Engineering and CORE,” Vitech White Paper, Vitech Corporation, Vienna, 2002.
- Hoffmann, H.-P. , Harmony SE: A SysML Based Systems Engineering Process (IBM, 2008).
- Douglass, B.P. , Agile Systems Engineering (San Francisco, CA: Morgan - Kaufmann Publishers Inc., 2015).
- Adolph, S., Cockburn, A., and Bramble, P. , Patterns for Effective Use Cases (Boston, MA: Addison-Wesley Longman Publishing Co., Inc., 2002).
- Campean, F. and Yildirim, U. , “Enhanced Sequence Diagram for Function Modelling of Complex Systems,” Proceedings of the 27th Complex Systems Engineering and Development, Cranfield University, UK, May 2017.
- Weilkiens, T. , SYSMOD the Systems Modeling Toolbox Pragmatic MBSE with SysML (2016). ISBN:978-3-9817875-8-0.
- Roques, P. , “MBSE with the ARCADIA Method and the Capella Tool,” Proceedings of the 8th European Congress on Embedded Real Time Software and Systems (ERTS 2016), Toulouse, France, Jan. 2016.
- Nayak, A. and Debasis, S. , “Synthesis of Test Scenario Using UML Activity Diagrams,” Journal of Software & Systems Modeling 10(1), Feb. 2011.
- INCOSE , Systems Engineering Handbook - A Guide for System Life Cycle Processes and Activities Fourth Edition (USA: Wiley, 2015). ISBN:978-1-118-99940-0.
- OMG: Object Management Group , “Foundational Subset for Executable UML Models Specification,” https://www.omg.org/spec/FUML/1.3/, Oct. 2017.
- Holt, J. and Perry, S. , SysML for Systems Engineering: A Model-Based Approach Second Edition (2013). ISBN:978-1-84919-651-2.
- Yue, T., Briand, L., and Labiche, Y. , “A Use Case Modeling Approach to Facilitate the Transition towards Analysis Models: Concepts and Empirical Evaluation,” Proceedings of the 12th International Conference on Model Driven Engineering Languages and Systems (MoDELS) 2009, Denver, 2009.
- Yue, T., Briand, L., and Labiche, Y. , “An Automated Approach to Transform Use Cases into Activity Diagram,” Proceedings of the European Conference on Modelling Foundations and Application, Paris, France, 2010.
- Yue, T., Ali, S., and Briand, L. , “Automated Transition from Use Cases to UML State Machines to Support State-Based Testing,” Proceedings of the 7th European Conference on Modelling Foundations and Application, Birmingham, UK, 2011.
- Song, I.Y., Khare, R., An, Y., and Hilbos, M. , “A Multi-Level Methodology for Developing UML Sequence Diagram,” Proceedings of the 27th International Conference on Conceptual Modeling, Barcelona, Spain, 2008.
- Piques, J.D. , “SysML for Embedded Automotive Systems: SysCARS Methodology,” Proceedings of the Embedded Real Time Software and Systems Conference, Toulouse, France.
- Campean, F. and Yildirim, U. , “Enhanced Sequence Diagram for Function Modelling of Complex Systems,” Proceedings of the 27th Complex Systems Engineering and Development, Cranfield, UK, 2017.
- Kang, S., Kim, H., Baik, J., Choi, H. et al. , “Transformation Rules for Synthesis of UML Activity Diagram from Scenario-Based Specification,” Proceedings of the IEEE 34th Annual Computer Software and Application Conference, 2010.