This content is not included in your SAE MOBILUS subscription, or you are not logged in.
Bearing Life Evaluation for Automotive Wheel Bearings Using Design of Experiments
ISSN: 0148-7191, e-ISSN: 2688-3627
Published October 5, 2018 by SAE International in United States
This content contains downloadable datasetsAnnotation ability available
Automotive wheel bearings have primary functions of translating the rotating motion of the wheels into linear vehicle motion while bearing the vehicle weight. Bearing life is affected by many parameters such as bearing geometry, vehicle and bearing technical specifications, driving conditions, lubrication conditions, material properties, and so on. In this paper, both the basic bearing rating life and modified bearing rating life were evaluated using design of experiments. Bearing lives were calculated by the international standard, and the factors affecting bearing life were investigated. Sequential experimental designs were applied. First, screening experiments were performed to analyze the factors affecting bearing life. Next, confirmation experiments were carried out to determine accurate effects of the selected factors from the screening experiments. As a result, contact angle and curvature of inner ring were significant at a 95% of significance level.
CitationLee, S., "Bearing Life Evaluation for Automotive Wheel Bearings Using Design of Experiments," SAE Technical Paper 2018-01-1903, 2018, https://doi.org/10.4271/2018-01-1903.
Data Sets - Support Documents
|[Unnamed Dataset 1]|
|[Unnamed Dataset 2]|
|[Unnamed Dataset 3]|
|[Unnamed Dataset 4]|
|[Unnamed Dataset 5]|
- Lee, S.P., Kim, B.C., Lee, I.H., Cho, Y.G. et al., “Distortion Analysis for Outer Ring of Automotive Wheel Bearing,” Trans. Korean Soc. Mech. Eng. A 36(12):1613-1618, 2012, doi:10.3795/KSME-A.2012.36.12.1613.
- Lee, S., Lee, N., Lim, J., Park, J. et al., “The Effect of Outer Ring Flange Concavity on Automotive Wheel Bearings Performance,” SAE Int. J. Passeng. Cars - Mech. Syst. 9(3):1264-1269, 2016, doi:10.4271/2016-01-1958.
- Stribeck, R., “Reports from the Central Laboratory for Scientific Investigation,” ASME Transactions 29: 420~466, 1907, Translation by H. Hess.
- Goodman, J., “Roller and Ball Bearings,” Minutes of the Proceedings189: 82-127, 1912.
- Palmgren, A., “Die Lebensdauer von Kugellagern (The Service Life of Ball Bearings),” Zeitschrift des Vercines Deutscher Ingenieure 68(14):339-341, 1924.
- Weibull, W., “A Statistical Theory of the Strength of Materials,” Ingeniorsvetenskapsakademiens Handlingar151, 1939.
- Lundberg, G. and Palmgren, A., “Dynamic Capacity of Rolling Bearings,” Acta Polytechnica Mechanical Engineering Series 1(10), 1947.
- International Organization for Standardization, “Rolling Bearings-Dynamic Load Ratings and Rating Life,” ISO281, Geneva, 1990.
- International Organization for Standardization, “Rolling Bearings-Dynamic Load Ratings and Rating Life,” ISO281, Geneva, 2007.
- Lee, S.P., “Bearing Life Evaluation of Automotive Wheel Bearing Considering Operation Loading and Rotation Speed,” Trans. Korean Soc. Mech. Eng. A 40(6):595-602, 2016, doi:10.3795/KSME-A.2016.40.595.
- Park, S.H., Modern Design of Experiments (Seoul: Minyoungsa, 2001), 121-140.
- Antoine, J.-F., Visa, C., and Sauvey, C., “Approximate Analytical Model for Hertzian Elliptical Contact Problems,” Transactions of the ASME 128:660-664, 2006.