This content is not included in your SAE MOBILUS subscription, or you are not logged in.
A Study of the Disc Scoring Generation Principle and Reduction (II)
ISSN: 0148-7191, e-ISSN: 2688-3627
Published October 05, 2018 by SAE International in United States
This content contains downloadable datasetsAnnotation ability available
In the latest paper , we presented our work based on experiments studying MPU (Metal Pick Up) of the pad and scoring(scratching) of the disc. The main component of MPU was iron “Fe”. If the roughness of the disc was small, the content of iron “Fe” was increased and the segregation of that was decreased especially in initial condition. In this study, we extended our study based on the results by adding some additional factors such as the location of the roughness of the disc, the coefficients brake pad friction, and disc slots. We made various discs of different roughness boundaries and slots, and pads of pad friction coefficients; and conducted two types of tests for whether a slot is present or not with the other same conditions to confirm the impact of the scoring. We find and believe that our experimental data should serve a useful guideline for reducing MPU of the pad and scoring of the disc.
CitationJeong, B., Ryu, H., Kim, C., Jung, K. et al., "A Study of the Disc Scoring Generation Principle and Reduction (II)," SAE Technical Paper 2018-01-1891, 2018, https://doi.org/10.4271/2018-01-1891.
Data Sets - Support Documents
|[Unnamed Dataset 1]|
|[Unnamed Dataset 2]|
|[Unnamed Dataset 3]|
|[Unnamed Dataset 4]|
|[Unnamed Dataset 5]|
|[Unnamed Dataset 6]|
|[Unnamed Dataset 7]|
|[Unnamed Dataset 8]|
|[Unnamed Dataset 9]|
|[Unnamed Dataset 10]|
- Pietro, D., Pietro, B., Francesco, V., and Richard, L. , “A Contribution for a Better Understanding of the Automotive Friction Material Characteristics Connected to Problems Deriving from Disc-Scoring Phenomena,” SAE Technical Paper 2005-01-3934 , 2005, doi:10.4271/2005-01-3934.
- Franco, S. and Otto, S. , “An Investigation of Metal Pick-Up Generation on Passenger Car Brake Pads in Correlation with Deep Rotor Scoring,” SAE Technical Paper 2008-01-2540 , 2008, doi:10.4271/2008-01-2540.
- Kota, N., Tadashi, K., Takenori, A., and Mitsuo, U. , “Study of the Formulation Mechanism for Metal Pick-Up on the Frictional Surface of a Disc Brake Pad,” SAE Technical Paper 2008-01-2541 , 2008, doi:10.4271/2008-01-2541.
- Georg, P.O., Kai, B., Gregor, S., and Axel, S. , “Tribological Aspects of Carbon Ceramic and Cast-Iron Brake Rotors with Organic Pad Materials in Simulation and Measurement,” SAE Technical Paper 2009-01-3010 , 2009, doi:10.4271/2009-01-3010.
- Umberto, P.P., Pietro, D., and Pietro, B. , “Phenomenological Approach to the Automotive Disc-Scoring Phenomena Related to Metal Pick Up Generation on Brake Pad Surface,” SAE Technical Paper 2009-01-3021 , 2009, doi:10.4271/2009-01-3021.
- Georg, P.O. , “Dynamic Friction Laws and Their Impact on Friction Induced Vibrations,” SAE Technical Paper 2010-01-1717 , 2010, doi:10.4271/2010-01-1717.
- Jurgen, L. and Georg, O. , “The Effect of Metal Pickup to the Friction Interfaces,” SAE Technical Paper 2011-01-2348 , 2011, doi:10.4271/2011-01-2348.
- Georg, P.O. and Nils, P. , “Dynamic Friction Measurements, Especially for High Power Application,” SAE Technical Paper 2011-01-2373 , 2011, doi:10.4271/2011-01-2373.
- Rhee, Y.J. , “A Case Study of Manufacturing Factors of Brake Pad and Disc on the Evolution of Metal Pickup and Scoring,” Euro brake paper EB2016-SVM-074, 2016.
- Jeong, B., Ryu, H., Jung, K., and Kim, C. , “A Study of the Disc Scoring Generation Principle and Reduction,” SAE Int. J. Passeng. Cars - Mech. Syst. 10(3):2017, doi:10.4271/2017-01-2501.