This content is not included in your SAE MOBILUS subscription, or you are not logged in.
A Study on Safety Intelligent Driving System for Heavy Truck Downhill in Mountainous Area
ISSN: 0148-7191, e-ISSN: 2688-3627
Published October 05, 2018 by SAE International in United States
This content contains downloadable datasetsAnnotation ability available
Mountainous area makes up more than half of the whole land area of China, the road of which is full of ups and downs. Heavy commercial vehicles as the main means of transport in mountainous areas, braking torque recession, even brake failure, often happens because of the overheating in long downhill journey, which seriously threatens the safety of the driving. Therefore, this paper presents an intelligent assistance system based on Geographic Information System and vehicle dynamics. The main brake duration and heat generation can be effectively reduced through adjusting the speed at the slope top, applying the engine auxiliary brake in the initial stage and choosing braking strategy appropriately, in order to prolong the downhill driving distance and improve the safety during continuous braking. This paper characterizes and analyses the road gradients and their effects on braking heat generation. To analysis the temperature rising characteristics of the main brakes under different initial speeds, the temperature rise model of the brake is established. Furthermore, the effectiveness has been recognized by comparing the main brakes’ temperature variation in real vehicle test. Research shows that an apparent temperature rise reduction performance of the typical slopes is achieved in the simulation, and the test results show a better performance of reducing braking temperature on actual road.
CitationQuan, J., Zhao, Y., Tan, G., Xu, Y. et al., "A Study on Safety Intelligent Driving System for Heavy Truck Downhill in Mountainous Area," SAE Technical Paper 2018-01-1887, 2018, https://doi.org/10.4271/2018-01-1887.
Data Sets - Support Documents
|Unnamed Dataset 1|
|Unnamed Dataset 2|
- Chang , Z. 2011
- Dong , Y. Study and Development of Engine Braking Technology Automotive Engines 03 2006
- Shen , Y. Potential Danger and Improvement of Air Pressure Water Spraying Device Highway and Transportation Measures 02 5 7 2007
- Zheng , C. Analysis of Rescue Lane Design Method on Mountain Way Traffic Science and Technology 04 56 58 2009
- Wu , C. , Xu , M. , Huiyuan , L. et al. Air Losing Experimental Study of Heavy Vehicle Hydraulic Retarder Vehicle and Power Technology 01 2012
- Liao , J. 2016
- Wang , H. 2012
- Yinqiao , X. 2016
- Wang , P. The Study of Heavy Vehicles Persistent Brake Automotive Practical Technology 07 2014
- Yu , Z. The Theory of Vehicle Fifth Beijing Machine Press 2009
- Yang , S. and Tao , W. Heat Transfer Third Beijing Higher Education Press 1998
- Qianbin , T. 2016
- Ronggui , Z. , Lisheng , J. , and Jiafeng , S. The Study of Highway Gradient and Grade Length Limit Technology of Highway and Transport Highway Longitudinal Slope and Slope Length Limit 07 2004