This content is not included in your SAE MOBILUS subscription, or you are not logged in.
Optimization of the Lubrication Distribution in Multi Plate Wet-Clutches for HVT Transmissions: An Experimental - Numerical Approach
ISSN: 0148-7191, e-ISSN: 2688-3627
Published September 10, 2018 by SAE International in United States
This content contains downloadable datasetsAnnotation ability available
The paper investigates the lubrication flow within multi plate wet-clutches for hydro-mechanical variable transmissions in order to optimize the oil distribution and to reduce the thermo-mechanical stresses on the plates. Since experimental measurements are very difficult to carry out on a real system, CFD numerical tools are used for predicting the flow distribution in a real geometry under actual operating conditions. A modular approach is adopted for the domain subdivision in order to represent accurately the three dimensional geometrical features, while the volume of fluid approach is used to model the multi-phase flow that characterizes the component. Poor lubrication is predicted where high thermal stresses were observed during tests. Furthermore, the numerical modeling is validated against measurements carried out on an ad-hoc designed test rig, which adopts transparent PMMA and 3D-printed inserts for the flow investigation. Fast imaging techniques are used to capture the multiphase flow pattern within the clutch gear chamber. The testing facility replicates both the geometry of a real clutch and the actual operating conditions. A good agreement between the numerical and the experimental results is found and the analysis highlights the importance of modeling the multi-phase nature of the lubrication process for the accurate prediction of the oil distribution within multi plate wet-clutches. By means of the numerical analysis modifications to the inlet flow configuration and to the leakages’ height are developed, leading to a better oil distribution within the clutch and to a more uniform lubrication through the plates clearances.
|Technical Paper||Fuel Economy Potential of Advanced AMT eCoast Feature in Long-Haul Applications|
|Technical Paper||Super Low Viscosity ATF; AW-2|
CitationTerzi, S., Manhartsgruber, B., Milani, M., and Montorsi, L., "Optimization of the Lubrication Distribution in Multi Plate Wet-Clutches for HVT Transmissions: An Experimental - Numerical Approach," SAE Technical Paper 2018-01-1822, 2018, https://doi.org/10.4271/2018-01-1822.
Data Sets - Support Documents
|Unnamed Dataset 1|
|Unnamed Dataset 2|
|Unnamed Dataset 3|
- Lam , R.C. and Yang , Y. Theoretical and Experimental Studies on the Interface Phenomena during the Engagement of Automatic Transmission Clutch Tribology Letters 5 57 67 1998 10.1023/A:1019196331003
- Hu , J. , Wu , W. , Xiong , Z. , and Yuan , S. Application of CFD to Model Oil-Air Flow in a Grooved Two-Disc System International Journal of Heat and Mass Transfer 91 293 301 2015 10.1016/j.ijheatmasstransfer.2015.07.092
- Bassi , A. , Milani , M. , Montorsi , L. , and Terzi , S. Dynamic Analysis of the Lubrication in a Wet Clutch of a Hydromechanical Variable Transmission SAE Int. J. Commer. Veh. 9 2 280 290 2016 10.4271/2016-01-8099
- Franzoni , F. , Milani , M. , and Montorsi , L. Cavitating Flows in Hydraulic Multidimensional CFD Analysis SAE Int. J. Commer. Veh. 1 1 424 436 2009 10.4271/2008-01-2678
- Bigliardi , E. , Francia , M. , Milani , M. , Montorsi , L. et al. Multi-Phase and Multi-Component CFD Analysis of a Load - Sensing Proportional Control Valve IFAC-PapersOnLine 48 1 421 426 2015 10.1016/j.ifacol.2015.05.114
- Bottazzi , D. , Franzoni , F. , Milani , M. , and Montorsi , L. Metering Characteristics of a Closed Center Load - Sensing Proportional Control Valve SAE Int. J. Commer. Veh. 2 2 66 74 2010 10.4271/2009-01-2850
- Iqbal , S. , Al-Bender , F. , Ompusunggu , A.P. , Pluymers , B. , and Desmet , W. Modeling and Analysis of Wet Friction Clutch Engagement Dynamics Mechanical Systems and Signal Processing 60-61 420 436 2015 10.1016/j.ymssp.2014.12.024
- Song , X. and Sun , Z. Pressure-Based Clutch Control for Automotive Transmissions Using a Sliding-Mode Controller IEEE/ASME Transactions on Mechatronics V. 17 3 534 546 2012 10.1109/TMECH.2011.2106507
- Li , M. , Khonsari , M.M. , McCarthy , D.M.C. , and Lundin , J. On the Wear Prediction of the Paper-Based Friction Material in a Wet Clutch Wear 334-335 56 66 2015 10.1016/j.wear.2015.04.005
- Jang , J.Y. and Khonsari , M.M. Thermal Characteristics of a Wet Clutch J. Tribol. 121 3 610 617 1999 10.1115/1.2834111
- Siemens PLM Software 2016