This content is not included in your SAE MOBILUS subscription, or you are not logged in.
Emission Reduction during Cold Start by Combustion Controlled Increase of In-Cylinder Temperatures
ISSN: 0148-7191, e-ISSN: 2688-3627
Published September 10, 2018 by SAE International in United States
This content contains downloadable datasetsAnnotation ability available
A significant share of the emissions of a vehicle with internal combustion engine originates from the cold start. In addition to the more stringent limits for particulate emissions due the introduction of the Euro 6c standard for gasoline engines with direct injection (GDI), exhaust gas emission testing is currently performed applying the real driving emission test procedure (RDE) required by the Euro 6d TEMP standard. The RDE test procedure is not clearly defined, potentially allowing high loads immediately after the engine start. Under such circumstances the combustion chamber features low surface temperatures impairing emission performance and in particular provoking the excessive generation of hydrocarbon and particulate emissions. It is therefore important not only to examine the heating of the catalytic converter during the cold start, but also the preconditioning of the combustion chamber itself.
This paper describes the influence of different catalytic converter heating strategies on the emissions during heating operation, as well as during the subsequent load demand. Furthermore, the influence of the engine temperature at engine start is investigated. In addition to a stoichiometric and a lean heating operation strategy another combustion process strategy is presented. The novel strategy provides heating of the combustion chamber, without decreasing the catalyst converter heating significantly. The studies were carried out on a 2.0 liter gasoline engine with direct injection (SIDI) on an engine test bench. Both gaseous emissions and particulate emissions were monitored. Furthermore, the origins of particulate emissions were examined in more detail by means of high-speed camera recordings of the soot radiation inside the combustion chamber. To assess the flame propagation, high-speed camera footage was combined with the signals from a fiber optical sparkplug (FOSP).
CitationTitus, F., Berlet, P., Sobek, F., and Wessling, J., "Emission Reduction during Cold Start by Combustion Controlled Increase of In-Cylinder Temperatures," SAE Technical Paper 2018-01-1740, 2018, https://doi.org/10.4271/2018-01-1740.
Data Sets - Support Documents
|Unnamed Dataset 1|
|Unnamed Dataset 2|
- Badshah , H. , Kittelson , D. , and Northrop , W. Particle Emissions from Light-Duty Vehicles during Cold-Cold Start SAE Int. J. Engines 9 3 1775 1785 2016 10.4271/2016-01-0997
- Bertsch , M. 2016 978-3-8325-4403-4
- Chan , T.W. , Meloche , E. , Kubsh , J. , Brezny , R. et al. Impact of Ambient Temperature on Gaseous and Particle Emissions from a Direct Injection Gasoline Vehicle and its Implications on Particle Filtration SAE Int. J. Fuels Lubr. 6 2 350 371 2013 10.4271/2013-01-0527
- Disch , C. , Pfeil , J. , Kubach , H. , Koch , T. et al. Experimental Investigations of a DISI Engine in Transient Operation with Regard to Particle and Gaseous Engine-Out Emissions SAE Int. J. Engines 9 1 262 278 2016 10.4271/2015-01-1990
- Eckl , T. and Kirchner , E. The Long Path from Discomfort to Customer Acceptance: Start-Stopp: Yesterday, Today and Tomorrow Schaeffler Technologies AG & CO. KG Solving the Powertrain Puzzle, 10 Schaeffler Kolloquium Baden-Baden Apr. 3-4 2014 346 359
- Grössl , R. 2006
- Kendlbacher , C. Verringerung der Schadstoffemissionen im Warmlauf durch Verbesserung der Gemischbildung bei Ottomotoren Düsseldorf VDI Verlag 1994 9783183213122
- Kum , D. , Peng , H. , and Bucknor , N.K. Optimal Energy and Catalyst Temperature Management of Plug-In Hybrid Electric Vehicles for Minimum Fuel Consumption and Tail-Pipe Emissions IEEE Trans. Contr. Syst. Technol. 21 1 14 26 2013 10.1109/TCST.2011.2171344
- Li , T. , Deng , K. , Peng , H. , and Wu , C. Effect of Partial-Heating of the Intake Port on the Mixture Preparation and Combustion of the First Cranking Cycle during the Cold-Start Stage of Port Fuel Injection Engine Experimental Thermal and Fluid Science 49 14 21 2013 10.1016/j.expthermflusci.2013.03.001
- Ni , P. , Wang , X. , and Wei , S. Effects of Intake Air Temperature on SI Engine Emissions during a Cold Start International Journal of Sustainable Energy 33 2 243 250 2011 10.1080/14786451.2011.622764
- Ogris , M. , Vidmar , K. , Hirsch , A. , and Bandel , W. 2010
- Sales , L.C.M. and Sodré , J.R. Cold Start Emissions of an Ethanol-Fuelled Engine with Heated Intake Air and Fuel Fuel 95 122 125 2012 10.1016/j.fuel.2011.11.067
- Schumann , F. 2014 3832537767
- Seong , H. , Lee , K. , and Choi , S. Effects of Engine Operating Parameters on Morphology of Particulates from a Gasoline Direct Injection (GDI) Engine SAE Technical Paper 2013-01-2574 2013 10.4271/2013-01-2574
- The European Comission
- The European Comission
- Titus , F. , Spicher , U. , Hadler , J. , Pulvirenti , F. et al. Investigations on Combustion with Endoscopic High-Speed Visualization in a Boosted 8-Cylinder High-Power Engine with Direct Injection Eichlseder , H. and Wimmer , A. 15.Tagung - Der Arbeitsprozess des Verbrennungsmotors: 15th Symposium The Working Process of the Internal Combustion Engine, 24. und 25. September 2015 Graz Sept. 24-25 2015 2015 182 197 978-3-85125-425-9
- Titus , F. , Spicher , U. , Pulvirenti , F. , Paltrinieri , S. et al. Investigation of Flame Development Applying Optical Metrology in a Highly Boosted SIDI Performance Engine for the Sports Car Market Liebl , J. Beidl , C. Internationaler Motorenkongress 2016, Proceedings Wiesbaden 2016 373 387 978-3-658-12917-0