This content is not included in your SAE MOBILUS subscription, or you are not logged in.
Outwardly Opening Hollow-Cone Diesel Spray Characterization under Different Ambient Conditions
ISSN: 0148-7191, e-ISSN: 2688-3627
Published September 10, 2018 by SAE International in United States
This content contains downloadable datasetsAnnotation ability available
The combustion quality in modern diesel engines depends strictly on the quality of the air-fuel mixing and, in turn, from the quality of spray atomization process. So air-fuel mixing is strongly influenced by the injection pressure, geometry of the nozzle duct and the hydraulic characteristics of the injector. In this context, spray concepts alternative to the conventional multi-hole nozzles could be considered as solutions to the extremely high injection pressure increase to assure a higher and faster fuel-air mixing in the piston bowl, with the final target of increasing the fuel efficiency and reducing the engine emissions.
The study concerns an experimental depiction of a spray generated through a prototype high-pressure hollow-cone nozzle, under evaporative and non-evaporative conditions, injecting the fuel in a constant-volume combustion vessel controlled in pressure and temperature up to engine-like gas densities in order to measure the spatial and temporal fuel patterns. The spray evolution was characterized by means of two optical techniques, schlieren and Mie scattering. Schlieren images take into account of both liquid and vapor fraction, while the Mie-scattering for the liquid fraction. The images were processed through a customized procedure developed in MATLAB to better outline the contours of the liquid phase and the vapor/atomized zones. Results showed this nozzle configuration appears intrinsically capable of generating a finely atomized spray homogeneously and circumferentially distributed contributing to a better fuel-air mixing level.
CitationMontanaro, A., Allocca, L., Beatrice, C., and Ianniello, R., "Outwardly Opening Hollow-Cone Diesel Spray Characterization under Different Ambient Conditions," SAE Technical Paper 2018-01-1694, 2018, https://doi.org/10.4271/2018-01-1694.
Data Sets - Support Documents
|Unnamed Dataset 1|
- Mahr , B. Future and Potential of Diesel Injection Systems THIESEL 2002 Conference on Thermo- and Fluid-Dynamic Processes in Diesel Engines 2002.
- Brusiani , F. , Bianchi , G. , Falfari , S. , Onorati , A. et al. Influence of Cylindrical, k, and ks Diesel Nozzle Shape on the Injector Internal Flow Field and on the Emerging Spray Characteristics SAE Technical Paper 2014-01-1428 2014 10.4271/2014-01-1428
- Argueyrolles , B. , Dehoux , S. , Gastaldi , P. , Grosjean , L. et al. Influence of Injector Nozzle Design and Cavitation on Coking Phenomenon SAE Technical Paper 2007-01-1896 2007 10.4271/2007-01-1896
- Ueda , D. , Tanada , H. , Utsunomiya , A. , Kawamura , J. et al. 4th Generation Diesel Piezo Injector (Realizing Enhanced High Response Injector) SAE Technical Paper 2016-01-0846 2016 10.4271/2016-01-0846
- Leng , X. , Jin , Y. , He , Z. , Long , W. et al. Numerical Study of the Internal Flow and Initial Mixing of Diesel Injector Nozzles with V-Type Intersecting Holes Fuel 197 31 41 2017
- Han , Z. , Parish , S. , Farrell , P.V. , and Reitz , R.D. Modeling Atomization Processes of Pressure-Swirl Hollow-Cone Fuel Sprays Atomization and Sprays 7 6 663 684 1997 10.1615/AtomizSpr.v7.i6.70
- Senecal , P. , Schmidt , D. , Nouar , I. , Rutland , C. et al. Modeling High-Speed Viscous Liquid Sheet Atomization International Journal of Multiphase Flow 25 1073 1097 1999 10.1016/S0301-9322(99)00057-9
- Ciatti , S. and Subramanian , S.N. An Experimental Investigation of Low-Octane Gasoline in Diesel Engines J. Eng. Gas Turbines Power 133 092802 2011
- Sellnau , M. , Foster , M. , Hoyer , K. , Moore , W. et al. Development of a Gasoline Direct Injection Compression Ignition (GDCI) Engine SAE Int. J. Engines 7 2 2014 10.4271/2014-01-1300
- Dempsey , A.B. , Curran , S.J. , and Wagner , R.M. Int. J. Eng. Res. 10.1177/1468087415621805
- Oki , M. , Matsumoto , S. , Toyoshima , Y. , Ishisaka , K. et al. 180MPa Piezo Common Rail System SAE Technical Paper 2006-01-0274 2006 10.4271/2006-01-0274
- Smith , J. , Szekely , G. Jr. , Solomon , A. , and Parrish , S. A Comparison of Spray-Guided Stratified-Charge Combustion Performance with Outwardly-Opening Piezo and Multi-Hole Solenoid Injectors SAE Int. J. Engines 4 1 1481 1497 2011 10.4271/2011-01-1217
- Sim , J. , Badra , J. , Elwardany , A. , and Im , H. Spray Modeling for Outwardly-Opening Hollow-Cone Injector SAE Technical Paper 2016-01-0844 2016 10.4271/2016-01-0844
- Nouri , J.M. , Hamid , M.A. , Yan , Y. , and Arcoumanis , A. Spray Characterization of a Piezo Pintle-Type Injector for Gasoline Direct Injection Engines Journal of Physics: Conference Series 85 2007
- Payri , R. , Gimeno , J. , De la Morena , J. , Battiston , P.A. et al. Study of New Prototype Pintle Injectors for Diesel Engine Application Energy Conversion and Management 122 419 427 2016 10.1016/j.enconman.2016.06.003
- Otsu , N. A Threshold Selection Method from Gray-Level Histograms IEEE Trans. Systems, Man and Cybernetics 9 1 62 66 1979
- Russ , J.C. The Image Processing Handbook Second CRC Press 1995 0-8493-5216-1
- Bosch , W. The Fuel Rate Indicator: A New Measuring Instrument for Display of the Characteristics of Individual Injection SAE Technical Paper 660749 1966 10.4271/660749
- Payri , R. , Salvador , F.J. , Gimeno , J. , and Bracho , G. A New Methodology for Correcting the Signal Cumulative Phenomenon on Injection Rate Measurements Exp Tech 32 46 49 2008 10.1111/j.1747-1567.2007.00188.x
- Dong , Q. , Ishima , T. , Kawashima , H. , and Long , W. A Study of the Spray Characteristics of a Piezo Pintle-Type Injector for DI Gasoline Engines Journal of Mechanical Science and Technology 27 7 1981 1993 2013
- Schmid , A. Experimental Characterization of the Two-Phase Flow of a Modern, Piezo-Activated Hollow Cone Injector https://researchgate.net/publication/259900122
- Nouri , J.M. , Hamid , M.A. , Yan , Y. , and Arcoumanis , A. 2007
- Migliaccio , M. , Montanaro , A. , Beatrice , C. , Napolitano , P. et al. Experimental and Numerical Analysis of a High-Pressure Outwardly Opening Hollow Cone Spray Injector for Automotive Engines Fuel 196 508 519 2017 10.1016/j.fuel.2017.01.020
- Faeth , G.M. , Hsiang , L.-P. et al. Structure and Breakup Properties of Sprays Int. J. Multiphase Flow 21 1995
- Pilch , M. and Erdman , C.A. Use of Breakup Time and Velocity History Data to Predict the Maximum Size of Stable Fragments for Acceleration-Induced Breakup of Liquid Drop Int. J. Multiphase Flow 13 1987
- Haynes , W.M. CRC Handbook of Chemistry and Physics 94th Boca Raton, FL CRC Press LLC 2013-2014 3 290