This content is not included in your SAE MOBILUS subscription, or you are not logged in.
Intelligent Traffic Control Method for Emergency Vehicles Prioritization Based on DSRC Transportation System
ISSN: 0148-7191, e-ISSN: 2688-3627
Published August 07, 2018 by SAE International in United States
This content contains downloadable datasetsAnnotation ability available
Emergency Vehicles (EmVs) prioritization is critical to be studied in view of the effectiveness of emergency delivery. Adaptive traffic lights can be employed based on DSRC (Dedicated Short Range Communication) system, as vehicle status and traffic lights information can be delivered to Road Side Unit (RSU). In other research work of manipulating traffic lights, only the EmVs are considered. Therefore there are still risks for non-EmVs due to insufficient time of braking. This paper provides an adaptive traffic light control method which takes into account of EmVs and non-EmVs on all the directions of lanes at the road section. In this control method, three operation modes of traffic light are proposed and the traffic light can be converted among three operation modes: Normal mode, Warning mode and Priority mode. Moreover, a collision prediction of upcoming non-EmVs on the orthogonal lane of EmVs in the junction is performed, which results in non-EmVs protection within predefined distance to guarantee the safe mobility of no-EmVs in the orthogonal direction. Afterwards, the traffic light enters into Warning mode to provide a warning and buffering time for upcoming drivers. Then traffic lights turn into Priority mode until emergency vehicle leaves the junction. Before the traffic lights are back to the Normal mode, Warning mode is carried out again to ensure sufficient braking time for following non-EmVs in case of change of traffic lights. In a summary, this adaptive traffic light control method not only protects EmVs, but also improves the safe mobility of non-EmVs. Finally simulation is carried out and the results show that this method can greatly improve the efficiency and safety for EmVs and non-EmVs and reduce the accident rate in the junction.
CitationGuo, P., Wang, M., Rong, H., and Wang, W., "Intelligent Traffic Control Method for Emergency Vehicles Prioritization Based on DSRC Transportation System," SAE Technical Paper 2018-01-1644, 2018, https://doi.org/10.4271/2018-01-1644.
Data Sets - Support Documents
|[Unnamed Dataset 1]|
|[Unnamed Dataset 2]|
|[Unnamed Dataset 3]|
|[Unnamed Dataset 4]|
|[Unnamed Dataset 5]|
- Ding, H.D., “Research on Key Problems of Urban Rail Transit Vehicle Auxiliary System,” Science & Technology Information496, 2011.
- Toy, C., Leung, K., Alvarez, L., and Horowitz, R., “Emergency Vehicle Maneuvers and Control Laws for Automated Highway Systems,” IEEE Transactions on Intelligent Transportation System 3(2):109-119, 2002.
- Yi, X.D., “Application of Dedicated Short Range Communication in Intelligent Transportation System,” Journal of Jinggangshan University (Natural Science) 27(05):26-28, 2006.
- K, T., “The Research and Design on Highway Vehicle Tracking System,” Master thesis, Physical Electronics, Huazhong University of Science & Technology, China, 2007.
- Zhang, F.F. and Guan, W., “Study on ITS Based Emergency Response System,” China Safety Science Journal 15(10):30-34, 2005.
- Luo, T. and Wang, H., “Wireless Vehicular Communication Networks and Applications,” ZTE Technology Journal 17(03):1-7, 2011.
- Long, W.M., Chu, R.F., Shi, H., Hu, C.W. et al., “Algorithm Research on Traffic Priority for Emergency Vehicles Based on Cooperative Vehicle Infrastructure System,” China Safety Science Journal 25(07):141-146, 2015.
- Sawade, O., Schäufele, B., and Radusch, I., “Collaboration over IEEE 802.11p to Enable an Intelligent Traffic Light Function for Emergency Vehicles,” International Conference on Computing, 2016, 1-5.
- Xie, H., Karunasekera, S., Kulik, L., Tanin, E. et al., “A Simulation Study of Emergency Vehicle Prioritization in Intelligent Transportation Systems,” IEEE Vehicular Technology Conference: Vtc-Spring, 2017, 1-5.
- Zhang, C.B., Ran, B., Mei, Z.H., Zhang, P.L., “An Optimization Method of Traffic Signal Control Based on Cooperative Vehicle.”
- Lee, J. and Park, B., “Development and Evaluation of a Cooperative Vehicle Intersection Control Algorithm under the Connected Vehicles Environment,” IEEE Transportation on Intelligent Transportation Systems 13(1):81-90, 2012.
- Noor, H., “Modeling the Impact of VANET-Enabled Traffic Lights Control on the Response Time of Emergency Vehicles in Realistic Large-Scale Urban Area,” IEEE International Conference on Communications, 2013, 526-531.
- PTV Group, “PTV VISSIM,” http://visiontraffic.ptvgroup.com/en-uk/products/ptv-vissim, accessed July 29, 2016.
- Zhu, X.-s., “Study and Application of OMNeT++ Simulation Platform,” Journal of Dalian Polytechnic University 29(1):62-65, 2010.
- Liu, Z.W., Wang, R.M., and Zhao, X.M., “Simulation of Intersection Accident Warning Scheme Based on Internet of Vehicles,” Computer Simulation 33(6):132-137, 2016.