This content is not included in your SAE MOBILUS subscription, or you are not logged in.
A Real-Time Traffic Light Detection Algorithm Based on Adaptive Edge Information
ISSN: 0148-7191, e-ISSN: 2688-3627
Published August 07, 2018 by SAE International in United States
This content contains downloadable datasetsAnnotation ability available
Traffic light detection has great significant for unmanned vehicle and driver assistance system. Meanwhile many detection algorithms have been proposed in recent years. However, traffic light detection still cannot achieve a desirable result under complicated illumination, bad weather condition and complex road environment. Besides, it is difficult to detect multi-scale traffic lights by embedded devices simultaneously, especially the tiny ones. To solve these problems, this paper presents a robust vision-based method to detect traffic light, the method contains main two stages: the region proposal stage and the traffic light recognition stage. On region proposal stage, we utilize lane detection to remove partial background from the original image. Then, we apply adaptive canny edge detection to highlight region proposal in Cr color channel, where red or green color proposals can be separated easily. Finally, extract the enlarged traffic light RoI (Region of Interest) to classify. On traffic light recognition stage, a tinny but effective convolution neural network (CNN), named TLRNet, classifies each traffic light RoI into its own class. In fact, deep learning (DL) is bad for detecting small object in many fields, so we use region proposal stage to get RoI and classification by CNN to achieve a good result. We validate our method both on Laboratory for Intelligent and Safe Automobiles (LISA) Traffic Lights Dataset and video sequences captured from Beijing’s streets. The experimental results prove that the proposed method can achieve a good result for the multi-scales traffic lights in the TX1 embedded platform, and reach a real-time performance at 28fps.
CitationYu, G., Lei, A., Li, H., Wang, Y. et al., "A Real-Time Traffic Light Detection Algorithm Based on Adaptive Edge Information," SAE Technical Paper 2018-01-1620, 2018, https://doi.org/10.4271/2018-01-1620.
Data Sets - Support Documents
|[Unnamed Dataset 1]|
|[Unnamed Dataset 2]|
|[Unnamed Dataset 3]|
|[Unnamed Dataset 4]|
|[Unnamed Dataset 5]|
|[Unnamed Dataset 6]|
- 中华人民共和国国家统计局. 中国统计年鉴 2016. 中国统计出版社, 2016.
- Jensen, M.B., Philipsen, M.P., Møgelmose, A. et al., “Vision for Looking at Traffic Lights: Issues, Survey, and Perspectives,” IEEE Transactions on Intelligent Transportation Systems 17(7):1800-1815, 2016.
- Wu, Z., Watanabe, Y., and Ishikawa, M., “Hybrid LED Traffic Light Detection Using High-Speed Camera,” 2016 IEEE 19th International Conference on Intelligent Transportation Systems (ITSC), IEEE, 2016, 1235-1241.
- Kim, H.K., Shin, Y.N., Kuk, S. et al., “Night-Time Traffic Light Detection Based on SVM with Geometric Moment Features,” World Academy of Science, Engineering and Technology, International Journal of Computer, Electrical, Automation, Control and Information Engineering 7(4):472-475, 2013.
- Diaz-Cabrera, M., Cerri, P., and Medici, P., “Robust Real-Time Traffic Light Detection and Distance Estimation Using a Single Camera,” Expert Systems with Applications 42(8):3911-3923, 2015.
- Diaz-Cabrera, M. and Cerri, P., “Traffic Light Recognition during the Night Based on Fuzzy Logic Clustering,” International Conference on Computer Aided Systems Theory, (Berlin/Heidelberg, Springer, 2013), 93-100.
- Diaz-Cabrera, M., Cerri, P., and Sanchez-Medina, J., “Suspended Traffic Lights Detection and Distance Estimation Using Color Features,” 2012 15th International IEEE Conference on Intelligent Transportation Systems (ITSC), IEEE, 2012, 1315-1320.
- Gomez, A.E., Alencar, F.A.R., Prado, P.V. et al., “Traffic Lights Detection and State Estimation Using Hidden Markov Models,” 2014 IEEE Intelligent Vehicles Symposium Proceedings, IEEE, 2014, 750-755.
- Shi, Z., Zou, Z., and Zhang, C., “Real-Time Traffic Light Detection with Adaptive Background Suppression Filter,” IEEE Transactions on Intelligent Transportation Systems 17(3):690-700, 2016.
- Viola, P. and Jones, M.J., “Robust Real-Time Face Detection,” International Journal of Computer Vision 57(2):137-154, 2004.
- Jang, C., Kim, C., Kim, D. et al., “Multiple Exposure Images Based Traffic Light Recognition,” 2014 IEEE Intelligent Vehicles Symposium Proceedings, IEEE, 2014, 1313-1318.
- Zhang, Y., Xue, J., Zhang, G. et al., “A Multi-Feature Fusion Based Traffic Light Recognition Algorithm for Intelligent Vehicles,” 2014 33rd Chinese Control Conference (CCC), IEEE, 2014, 4924-4929.
- Gong, J., Jiang, Y., Xiong, G. et al., “The Recognition and Tracking of Traffic Lights Based on Color Segmentation and Camshift for Intelligent Vehicles,” 2010 IEEE Intelligent Vehicles Symposium (IV), IEEE, 2010, 431-435.
- Koukoumidis, E., Martonosi, M., and Peh, L.S., “Leveraging Smartphone Cameras for Collaborative Road Advisories,” IEEE Transactions on Mobile Computing 11(5):707-723, 2012.
- John, V., Yoneda, K., Qi, B. et al., “Traffic Light Recognition in Varying Illumination Using Deep Learning and Saliency Map,” 2014 IEEE 17th International Conference on Intelligent Transportation Systems (ITSC), IEEE, 2014, 2286-2291.
- Le Cun, Y., Bengio, Y., and Hinton, G., “Deep Learning,” Nature 521(7553):436-444, 2015.
- Howard, A.G., Zhu, M., Chen, B. et al., “Mobilenets: Efficient Convolutional Neural Networks for Mobile Vision Applications,” arXiv preprint arXiv:1704.04861, 2017.
- Simonyan, K. and Zisserman, A., “Very Deep Convolutional Networks for Large-Scale Image Recognition,” arXiv preprint arXiv:1409.1556, 2014.
- Szegedy, C., Ioffe, S., Vanhoucke, V. et al., “Inception-v4, Inception-ResNet and the Impact of Residual Connections on Learning,” AAAI4278-4284, 2017.
- Canny, J., “A Computational Approach to Edge Detection,” IEEE Transactions on Pattern Analysis and Machine Intelligence 6:679-698, 1986.
- Kim, Z.W., “Robust Lane Detection and Tracking in Challenging Scenarios,” IEEE Transactions on Intelligent Transportation Systems 9(1):16-26, 2008.
- Wang, C., Jin, T., Yang, M. et al., “Robust and Real-Time Traffic Lights Recognition in Complex Urban Environments,” International Journal of Computational Intelligence Systems 4(6):1383-1390, 2011.
- Hosang, J., Benenson, R., Dollár, P. et al., “What Makes for Effective Detection Proposals?” IEEE Transactions on Pattern Analysis and Machine Intelligence 38(4):814-830, 2016.
- Zitnick, C.L. and Dollár, P., “Edge Boxes: Locating Object Proposals from Edges,” European Conference on Computer Vision, (Cham, Springer, 2014), 391-405.
- Xie, S. and Tu, Z., “Holistically-Nested Edge Detection,” Proceedings of the IEEE International Conference on Computer Vision, 2015, 1395-1403.
- Saini, S., Nikhil, S., Konda, K.R. et al., “An Efficient Vision-Based Traffic Light Detection and State Recognition for Autonomous Vehicles,” 2017 IEEE Intelligent Vehicles Symposium (IV), IEEE, 2017, 606-611.
- Hillel, A.B., Lerner, R., Levi, D. et al., “Recent Progress in Road and Lane Detection: A Survey,” Machine Vision and Applications 25(3):727-745, 2014.
- Yu, G., Wang, Z., Wu, X. et al., “Efficient Lane Detection Using Deep Lane Feature Extraction Method,” SAE Int. J. Passeng. Cars - Electron. Electr. Syst. 11(1):57-66, 2017, doi:10.4271/07-11-01-0006.
- Hu, P. and Ramanan, D., “Finding Tiny Faces,” arXiv preprint arXiv:1612.04402, 2016.
- Lv, Y., Duan, Y., Kang, W. et al., “Traffic Flow Prediction with Big Data: A Deep Learning Approach,” IEEE Transactions on Intelligent Transportation Systems 16(2):865-873, 2015.
- Ouyang, W. and Wang, X., “Joint Deep Learning for Pedestrian Detection,” Proceedings of the IEEE International Conference on Computer Vision, 2013, 2056-2063.
- LeCun, Y., “LeNet-5, Convolutional Neural Networks,” http://yann.lecun.com/exdb/lenet, 2015.
- Romero, A., Ballas, N., Kahou, S.E. et al., “Fitnets: Hints for Thin Deep Nets,” arXiv preprint arXiv:1412.6550, 2014.
- Krizhevsky, A., Sutskever, I., and Hinton, G.E., “Imagenet Classification with Deep Convolutional Neural Networks,” Advances in Neural Information Processing Systems1097-1105, 2012.
- Philipsen, M.P., Jensen, M.B., Møgelmose, A. et al., “Traffic Light Detection: A Learning Algorithm and Evaluations on Challenging Dataset,” 2015 IEEE 18th International Conference on Intelligent Transportation Systems (ITSC), IEEE, 2015, 2341-2345.
- Liu, W., Anguelov, D., Erhan, D. et al., “Ssd: Single Shot Multibox Detector,” European Conference on Computer Vision, (Cham, Springer, 2016), 21-37.
- Girshick, R., “Fast r-Cnn,” Proceedings of the IEEE International Conference on Computer Vision, 2015, 1440-1448.
- Dai, J., Li, Y., He, K. et al., “R-Fcn: Object Detection Via Region-Based Fully Convolutional Networks,” Advances in Neural Information Processing Systems379-387, 2016.