This content is not included in your SAE MOBILUS subscription, or you are not logged in.
The Patch-Transfer-Function (PTF) Method Applied to Numerical Models of Trim Materials Including Poro-Elastic Layers
ISSN: 0148-7191, e-ISSN: 2688-3627
Published June 13, 2018 by SAE International in United States
This content contains downloadable datasetsAnnotation ability available
Event: 10th International Styrian Noise, Vibration & Harshness Congress: The European Automotive Noise Conference
In automotive industry, acoustic trim materials are widely used in order to reach passenger comfort targets. The dynamic behavior of the poro-elastic materials is typically modelled by the Biot theory, which however leads to expensive numerical finite element calculations.
One way to deal with it is to use the Patch-Transfer-Function (PTF) sub-structuring method, which couples subdomains at their interfaces through impedance relations. This was done already for systems including locally reacting poro-elastic materials.
In this paper, a methodology is presented allowing to numerically assess the PTF impedance matrices of non-locally reacting trim materials using the Biot based poro-elastic model solved by the finite element method (FEM). Simplifications of the trim impedance matrices are introduced resulting in considerable calculation cost reductions. The associated prediction errors are discussed by means of a numerical case study. The numerical test case consisted of a clamped plate covered with a double layer trim radiating into a rectangular air cavity. It is shown that a considerable calculation time reduction may be achieved while keeping prediction accuracy at an acceptable level.
CitationPolanz, M., Nijman, E., and Schanz, M., "The Patch-Transfer-Function (PTF) Method Applied to Numerical Models of Trim Materials Including Poro-Elastic Layers," SAE Technical Paper 2018-01-1569, 2018, https://doi.org/10.4271/2018-01-1569.
Data Sets - Support Documents
|Unnamed Dataset 1|
- Biot , M. Theory of Propagation of Elastic Waves in a Fluid-Saturated Porous Solid. I. Low-Frequency Range Journal of Acoustical Society of America 28 1 168 178 1956
- Allard , J.F. and Atalla , N. Propagation of Sound in Porous Media Second John Wiley & Sons 2009
- Atalla , N. and Sgard , F. Finite Element and Boundary Methods in Structural Acoustics and Vibration CRC Press/Taylor & Francis Group 2015
- Panneton , R. and Atalla , N. An Efficient Finite Element Scheme for Solving the three-Dimensional Poroelasticity Problem in Acoustics Journal of Acoustical Society of America 101 6 3297 3298 1997
- Atalla , N. , Panneton , R. , and Debergue , P. A Mixed Displacement-Pressure Formulation for Poroelastic Materials Journal of Acoustical Society of America 104 3 1444 1452 1998
- Atalla , N. , Hamdi , M.A. , and Panneton , R. Enhanced Weak Integral Formulation for the Mixed (U,P) Poroelastic Equations Journal of Acoustical Society of America 109 6 3065 3068 2001
- Debergue , P. , Panneton , R. , and Atalla , N. Boundary Conditions for the Weak Formulation of the Mixed (U,P) Poroelasticity Problem Journal of Acoustical Society of America 106 5 2383 2390 1999
- Dauchez , N. and Sahraoui , S. Convergence of Poroelastic Finite Elements Based on Biot Displacement Formulation Journal of Acoustical Society of America, Finite Element and Boundary Methods in Structural Acoustics and Vibration 109 1 33 40 2001
- Ouisse , M. et al. Patch Transfer Functions as a Tool to Couple Linear Acoustic Problems Journal of Vibration and Acoustics 127 1 458 466 2005
- Pavic , G. Air-Borne Sound Source Characterization by Patch Impedance Coupling Approach Journal of Sound and Vibration 329 4907 4921 2010
- Maxit , L. , Aucejo , M. , and Guyader , J.-L. Improving the Patch Transfer Function Approach for Fluid-Structure Modelling in Heavy Fluid Journal of Vibration and Acoustics 134 051011-1 051011-14 2012
- Cremer , L. , Heckl , M. , and Petersson , B.A.T. Structural Vibrations and Sound Radiation at Audio Frequencies Third Springer 2004
- Alimonti , L. , Atalla , N. , and Berry , A. Assessment of a Hybrid Finite Element-Transfer Matrix Model for Flat Structures with Homogeneous Acoustic Treatments Journal of Acoustical Society of America 136 2694 2705 2014
- Timoshenko , S. and Goodier , J.N. Theory of Elasticity McGraw-Hill Book Company 1951
- Timoshenko , S. and Woinowsky-Krieger , S. Theory of Plates and Shells Second McGraw-Hill 1987
- Reddy , J.N. Theory and Analysis of Elastic Plates Taylor & Francis 1999
- Johnson , D.L. , Koplik , J. , and Dashen , R. Theory of Dynamic Permeability and Tortuosity in Fluid-Saturated Porous Media Journal of Fluid Mechanics 176 379 402 1987
- Champoux , Y. and Allard , J.-F. Dynamic Tortuosity and Bulk Modulus in Air-Saturated Porous Media J. Appl. Phys. 70 1975 1979 1991
- Fahy , F. and Gardonio , P. Sound and Structural Vibration: Radiation, Transmission and Response Academic Press 2007
- Rejlek , J. et al. A Combined Computational Experimental Approach for Modelling of Coupled Vibro-Acoustic Problems SAE Technical Paper 2013-01-1997 2013 10.4271/2013-01-1997
- Veronesi , G. et al. Patch Transfer Function Approach for Analysis of Coupled Vibro-Acoustic Problems Involving Porous Materials SAE Technical Paper 2014-01-2092 2014 10.4271/2014-01-2092
- Albert C. , Veronesi G. , Nijman E. Journal of Applied Acoustics
- Bathe , K.J. Finite Element Procedures Second New Jersey Prentice-Hall 1996
- Zienkiewicz , O.C. and Taylor , R.L. The Finite Element Method - Solid Mechanics Fifth Butterworth Heinemann 2000