This content is not included in your SAE MOBILUS subscription, or you are not logged in.
Active Noise Control and Masking Sound on Speech of a Back-Seat Passenger at a Driver’s Seat
ISSN: 0148-7191, e-ISSN: 2688-3627
Published June 13, 2018 by SAE International in United States
This content contains downloadable datasetsAnnotation ability available
Event: 10th International Styrian Noise, Vibration & Harshness Congress: The European Automotive Noise Conference
Passengers sitting on the back seats of cars while talking on their mobiles can easily experience the invasion of their speech privacy by the driver. Protecting speech privacy can be done by utilizing masking sounds - masking sound may be so loud that it annoys both drivers and speakers. In this research, the feasibility of utilizing active noise control (ANC) which aims to reduce the level of speech at the driver’s seat and, hence, is able to lower the needed level of masking sounds while still protecting the speech privacy is investigated. Speech reception threshold (SRT), which is a subjective measurement method for speech intelligibility, is proceeded for seeing the effect of ANC on speech intelligibility when the masking sound is in use. The SRT measurement result implied that utilizing ANC to reduce the speech level of the back-seat passenger at the driver’s seat is able to lower the needed level of masking sound for keeping the speech privacy.
CitationKim, Y., Park, Y., Hong, J., and Son, D., "Active Noise Control and Masking Sound on Speech of a Back-Seat Passenger at a Driver’s Seat," SAE Technical Paper 2018-01-1560, 2018, https://doi.org/10.4271/2018-01-1560.
Data Sets - Support Documents
|[Unnamed Dataset 1]|
- Kim, Y. and Park, Y. , “Effect of Active Noise Control and Masking Sound on Speech Intelligibility,” Applied Acoustics 123:152-157, 2017, doi:10.1016/j.apacoust.2017.02.021.
- ANSI S3.5 , “Method for the Calculation of the Speech Intelligibility Index,” American National Standard Institute, 1997.
- Plomp, R. and Mimpen, A.M. , “Improving the Reliability of Testing the Speech Reception Threshold for Sentences,” Audiology 18:43-52, 1979.
- Sm, K. and Morgan, D.R. , “Active Noise Control: A Tutorial Review,” Proc. IEEE 87(6):943-973, 1999.
- Steeneken Herman, J.M. , The Measurement of Speech Intelligibility (Soesterberg, the Netherlands: TNO Human Factors, 2002).
- Hyunsook, J., Lee, J., Dukhwan, L., Lee, K. et al. , “Development of Korean Standard Sentence Lists for Sentence Recognition Tests,” Korean Academy Audiology 4(2):161-177, 2008.