This content is not included in your SAE MOBILUS subscription, or you are not logged in.
Finite Element Based Active Vibration Control of Hierarchical Honeycomb Plates Integrated with Piezoelectric Actuator
ISSN: 0148-7191, e-ISSN: 2688-3627
Published June 13, 2018 by SAE International in United States
This content contains downloadable datasetsAnnotation ability available
Event: 10th International Styrian Noise, Vibration & Harshness Congress: The European Automotive Noise Conference
Hierarchical honeycomb (HH) structures with level of hierarchy more in the honeycomb construction (by replacing the vertices of a regular hexagonal lattice with smaller hexagons) are widely used in engineering applications mainly due to their superior mechanical behavior and lightweight high strength characteristic. At the same time, the role of hierarchy and control gain on the dynamic behavior of HH structures with surface-bonded actuator remains largely unexplored.
In this study, we investigated the active vibration control behavior of the HH structure with surface-bonded piezoelectric actuators. The HH plate like structures was constructed with two identical face sheets and placed HH core in-between. By using ANSYS parametric design language (APDL), the proportional-integral-derivative (PID) control algorithm was incorporated into the finite element model for performing the closed-loop control simulations. The accuracy of the present method was validated with other researchers’ results. Furthermore, different parametric cases such as the effects of control gain and level of hierarchy to the transient vibration behavior of HH plates with surface-bonded actuators were investigated.
CitationKandasamy, R. and Dominique, S., "Finite Element Based Active Vibration Control of Hierarchical Honeycomb Plates Integrated with Piezoelectric Actuator," SAE Technical Paper 2018-01-1558, 2018, https://doi.org/10.4271/2018-01-1558.
Data Sets - Support Documents
|[Unnamed Dataset 1]|
|[Unnamed Dataset 2]|
- Mousanezhad, D., Babaee, S., Ebrahimi, H., Ghosh, R. et al. , “Hierarchical Honeycomb Auxetic Metamaterials,” Scientific Reports 5:srep18306, 2015.
- Immarigeon, J., Holt, R., Koul, A., Zhao, L. et al. , “Lightweight Materials for Aircraft Applications,” Materials Characterization 35:41-67, 1995.
- Noury, P., Hayman, B., McGeorge, D., and Weitzenbock, J. , “Lightweight Construction for Advanced Shipbuilding-Recent Development,” Det Norske Veritas, 1-23, 2002.
- Correia, J., Garrido, M., Gonilha, J., Branco, F. et al. , “GFRP Sandwich Panels with PU Foam and PP Honeycomb Cores for Civil Engineering Structural Applications: Effects of Introducing Strengthening Ribs,” International Journal of Structural Integrity 3:127-147, 2012.
- Cameron, C.J. , “Design of Multifunctional Body Panels for Conflicting Structural and Acoustic Requirements in Automotive Applications,” KTH Royal Institute of Technology, 2011.
- Ajdari, A., Jahromi, B.H., Papadopoulos, J., Nayeb-Hashemi, H. et al. , “Hierarchical Honeycombs with Tailorable Properties,” International Journal of Solids and Structures 49:1413-1419, 2012.
- Gandhi, N. , “Finite Element Analysis of Effective Mechanical Properties of Hierarchical Honeycomb Structures,” 2015.
- Nilsson, E. and Nilsson, A. , “Prediction and Measurement of Some Dynamic Properties of Sandwich Structures with Honeycomb and Foam Cores,” Journal of Sound and Vibration 251:409-430, 2002.
- Khot, S., Yelve, N.P., and Iyer, R. , “Extraction of System Model from Finite Element Model and Simulation Study of Active Vibration Control,” Advanced in Vibration Engineering 11:259-280, 2012.
- Malgaca, L. , “Integration of Active Vibration Control Methods with Finite Element Models of Smart Laminated Composite Structures,” Composite Structures 92:1651-1663, 2010.
- Karagülle, H., Malgaca, L., and Öktem, H. , “Analysis of Active Vibration Control in Smart Structures by ANSYS,” Smart Materials and Structures 13:661-667, 2004.
- Yavuz, Ş., Malgaca, L., and Karagülle, H. , “Analysis of Active Vibration Control of Multi-Degree-of-Freedom Flexible Systems by Newmark Method,” Simulation Modelling Practice and Theory 69:136-148, 2016.
- An, L.Q., Zhang, X.C., Wu, H.X., and Jiang, W.Q. , “In-Plane Dynamic Crushing and Energy Absorption Capacity of Self-Similar Hierarchical Honeycombs,” Advances in Mechanical Engineering 9(6):1-15, 2017.
- Mousanezhad, D., Haghpanah, B., Ghosh, R., Hamouda, A.M. et al. , “Elastic Properties of Chiral, Anti-Chiral, and Hierarchical Honeycombs: A Simple Energy-Based Approach,” Theoretical and Applied Mechanics Letters 6(2):81-96, 2016.
- Ramkumar, K., Chandran, S., and Ganesan, N. , “Finite Element Analysis of Composite Box Structure Containing Piezoelectric Actuators and Sensors for Active Vibration Control,” SAE Technical Paper 2009-01-2147, 2009, doi:10.4271/2009-01-2147.
- Alqassim, G. , “Mechanical Properties of Hierarchical Honeycomb Structures,” M.S. thesis, Northeastern University, 2011.
- Mirzaeifar, R., Bahai, H., and Shahab, S. , “Active Control of Natural Frequencies of FGM Plates by Piezoelectric Sensor/Actuator Pairs,” Smart Materials and Structures 17:045003, 2008.
- Ramkumar, K. and Ganesan, N. , “Finite-Element Buckling and Vibration Analysis of Functionally Graded Box Columns in Thermal Environments,” Proceedings of the Institution of Mechanical Engineers, Part L: Journal of Materials Design and Applications 222:53-64, 2008.
- He, X., Ng, T., Sivashanker, S., and Liew, K. , “Active Control of FGM Plates with Integrated Piezoelectric Sensors and Actuators,” International Journal of Solids and Structures 38:1641-1655, 2001.