This content is not included in your SAE MOBILUS subscription, or you are not logged in.
PMSM Noise - Simulation Measurement Comparison
ISSN: 0148-7191, e-ISSN: 2688-3627
Published June 13, 2018 by SAE International in United States
This content contains downloadable datasetsAnnotation ability available
Event: 10th International Styrian Noise, Vibration & Harshness Congress: The European Automotive Noise Conference
Growing development of hybrid and fully electrical drives increases demand for accurate prediction of noise and vibration characteristic of electric and electronic components. This paper describes the numerical and experimental investigation of noise emission from PMSM electric machine as a one of the most important noise sources in electric vehicles.
Structural and air borne noise is measured on e-machine test rig and used for calibration and validation of the numerical model. The electro-magnetic field in PMSM is simulated using finite volume method. Electro-magnetic forces are applied as excitation to the 3D FE model of e-machine, mounded on test frame. Material properties are tuned using results from experimental modal analysis including identification of orthotropic characteristic of stator laminated core, assembled together with coil and end winding. Structural vibrations are calculated by modal frequency response analysis and applied as excitation in air borne noise simulation. Sound radiation is calculated using the wave based technique approach (WBT). Simulation and experimental results are compared in frequency range up to 6 kHz.
Developed simulation methodology can successfully predict the main noise sources from e-machine and results in good agreement in absolute values of sound pressure level. Stator 0th order diametrical mode, also called stator breathing mode, is identified as critical noise source, both in experiment and simulation.
CitationKlarin, B., Knaus, K., Schneider, J., Diwoky, F. et al., "PMSM Noise - Simulation Measurement Comparison," SAE Technical Paper 2018-01-1552, 2018, https://doi.org/10.4271/2018-01-1552.
Data Sets - Support Documents
|Unnamed Dataset 1|
- Engstle , A. , Deiml , M. , Schlecker , M. , and Angermaier , A. Coup-é 800: Antriebsstrang und Bordnetzentwicklung eines heckgetriebenen 800-V-Elektrofahrzeugs ATZ 114 07-08 606 611 2012
- Kastler , H. and Blankenbach , B. Low Cost P3 Hybrid System for Commercial Vehicles 13th International Car Training Institute Symposium and Exhibition Germany (CTi Getriebesymposium) Berlin, Germany 2014
- Mehrgou , M. , Zieher , F. , and Priestner , C. NVH and Acoustics Analysis Solutions for Electric Drives SAE Technical Paper 2016-01-1802 2016 10.4271/2016-01-1802
- Parmar , V. Di Rocco , D. , and , Hellinger , W. Noise and Vibration Effects of Hybrid Electric Vehicles 26th International Conference on Noise and Vibration Engineering (ISMA2014) Leuven, Belgium 2014 9789073802919
- Saito , A. Equivalent Orthotropic Elastic Moduli Identification Method for Laminated Electrical Steel Sheets Mechanical Systems and Signal Processing 72-73 607 628 2016
- van der Giet , M. and Hameyer , K. Identification of Homogenized Equivalent Materials for the Modal Analysis of Composite Structures in Electrical Machines 9th, International Conference on Vibrations in Rotating Machinery Exeter, England 2008
- Millithaler , P. , Sadoulet-Reboul , E. , Ouisse , M. , Dupont , J.B. et al. Journal of Vibration and Control 2016
- Jones , R.M. Mechanics of Composite Materials New York Taylor & Francis 1999
- Wang , H. and Williams , K. Vibrational Modes of Thick Cylinders of Finite Length Journal of Sound and Vibration 191 5 955 971 1996
- DIN 45635-47 1985
- AVL List GmbH 2017
- AVL List GmbH 2017
- AVL List GmbH 2017
- Desmet , W. 1998
- Diwoky , F. , Hepberger , A. , Mocsai , T. , Pramberger , H. et al. Application of the Wave Based Technique to 3D Radiation Problems Proc. of the LSAME 2008 Trefftz Symposium Leuven, Belgium 2008
- Trefftz , E. Ein Gegenstueck zum Ritzschen Verfahren Proceedings of the 2nd International Congress on Applied Mechanics Zurich 1926 131 137
- Pluymers , B. van Hal , B. , Vandepitte , D. , Desmet , W. , and Trefftz-Based Methods for Time-Harmonic Acoustics Archives of Computational Methods in Engineering 14 343 381 2007 10.1007/s11831-007-9010-x