This content is not included in your SAE MOBILUS subscription, or you are not logged in.
In-Situ Characterization of Vibrations from a Door Mounted Loudspeaker
ISSN: 0148-7191, e-ISSN: 2688-3627
Published June 13, 2018 by SAE International in United States
Annotation ability available
Event: 10th International Styrian Noise, Vibration & Harshness Congress: The European Automotive Noise Conference
In the automotive industry, there is an increasing need for gaining efficiency and confidence in the prediction capability for various attributes. Often, one component or sub-system is used in a number of car models of one vehicle platform. Many of these components are potential sources of noise, vibration and squeak and rattle. In order to provide an early prognosis, vibro-acoustic source characterization in combination with the source-to-response transfer behavior are required. This paper describes the process of predicting the vibrational behavior due to a woofer, which could induce squeak and rattle, on a door panel. Blocked forces, determined indirectly in-situ by frequency response functions and operational accelerations, were used for quantifying the source activity. Those forces were in a second step loaded on to a finite element model in order to predict the response when the speaker was mounted to another position in an upcoming car model. Prior to this, comparisons between the measured and simulated response for the same car model were made, with satisfying agreement.
CitationLennström, D., "In-Situ Characterization of Vibrations from a Door Mounted Loudspeaker," SAE Technical Paper 2018-01-1511, 2018, https://doi.org/10.4271/2018-01-1511.
- Van der Seijs , M. , De Klerk , D. , and Rixen , D.J. General Framework for Transfer Path Analysis: History, Theory and Classification of Techniques Mechanical Systems and Signal Processing 68-69 217 244 2016 0888-3270
- De Klerk , D. , Rixen , D.J. , and Voormeeren , S.N. General Framework for Dynamic Substructuring: History, Review and Classification of Techniques AIAA Journal 46 5 1169 1181 2008
- Moorhouse , A.T. , Elliott , A.S. , and Evans , T.A. In-Situ Measurement of the Blocked Force of Structure-Borne Sound Sources Journal of Sound and Vibration 325 4-5 679 685 2009
- Lennström , D. , Wullens , F. , Olsson , M. , and Nykänen , A. Validation of the Blocked Force Method for Various Boundary Conditions for Automotive Source Characterization Applied Acoustics 102 108 119 2016
- Sturm , M. , Alber , T. , Moorhouse , A. , Zabel , D. et al. The In-Situ Blocked Force Method for Characterization of Complex Automotive Structure-Borne Sound Sources and Its Use for Virtual Acoustic Prototyping ISMA2016 International Conference on Noise and Vibration Engineering Leuven
- Van der Seijs , M. V. , Pasma , E. A. , de Klerk , D. , and Rixen , D. J. A Comparison of Two Component TPA Approaches for Steering Gear Noise Prediction Dynamics of Coupled Structures, Proceedings of the 33rd IMAC, A Conference and Exposition on Structural Dynamics New York Springer 2015 71 79 10.1007/978-3-319-15209-7_7
- Sturm , M. , Marchand , C. , Priebe , M. , Moorhouse , A. et al. Robust NVH Development of Steering Systems Using In-Situ Blocked Forces from Measurements with Low-Noise Driver Simulators Proceedings of NoiseCon 2017 Grand Rapids, MI
- Banwell , G. and Faventi , R. Assessment of Experimental Techniques to Characterise the Vibration Source Strength of a Motor Radially Mounted with Resilient Elements ISMA2016 International Conference on Noise and Vibration Engineering Leuven
- Diez-Ibarbia , A. Battarra , M. , Palenzuela , J. , Cervantes , G. , et al. Comparison between Transfer Path Analysis Methods on an Electric Vehicle Applied Acoustics 118 83 101 2017 https://doi.org/10.1016/j.apacoust.2016.11.015 0003-682X
- Lennström , D. , Olsson , H. , Sturesson , P.-O. , and Andersson , J.-Å. NVH Development of the All New Volvo XC90 Twin Engine Plug-In Hybrid Proceedings of Aachen Acoustics Colloquium 2015 Aachen
- Elliott , A.S. and Moorhouse , A.T. In-Situ Characterisation of Structure Borne Noise from a Building Mounted Wind Turbine Proceedings of ISMA 2010 Leuven
- Elliott , A.S. , Moorhouse , A.T. , Huntley , T. , and Tate , S. In-Situ Source Path Contribution Analysis of Structure Borne Road Noise Journal of Sound and Vibration 332 6276 6295 2013