This content is not included in your SAE MOBILUS subscription, or you are not logged in.
Reducing Airborne Noise by Using Friction Induced Damping
ISSN: 0148-7191, e-ISSN: 2688-3627
Published June 13, 2018 by SAE International in United States
Annotation ability available
Event: 10th International Styrian Noise, Vibration & Harshness Congress: The European Automotive Noise Conference
The accuracy of the simulation of NVH behavior is strongly dependent on parameters such as stiffness and damping of the structure as they have a direct influence on the results. This paper is focused on a straightforward method of achieving and implementing acceptably accurate damping values in joints in the early development phase. With emphasis on ease of use and independent software, a Kelvin-Voigt model is used to generate damping behavior. Based on a modal test, damping parameters are achieved and the base model is calibrated. Using this as a starting point, damping parameters and topographical values are optimized with the focus being on minimizing the simulated radiated acoustic power. The method is represented on a simplified disc structure and results are discussed.
CitationBoulliung, M. and Mohr, C., "Reducing Airborne Noise by Using Friction Induced Damping," SAE Technical Paper 2018-01-1505, 2018, https://doi.org/10.4271/2018-01-1505.
- Geisler , J. 2010
- Bouchaala , N. , Dion , J.-L. , and Peyret , N. Microslip Induced Damping in the Contact of Nominally Flat Surfaces with Geometric Defects Springer International Publishing 2017 10.1007/978-3-319-56818-8_19
- Mevada , H. and Patel , D. Experimental Determination of Structural Damping of Different Materials 12th International Conference on Vibration 2015 10.1016/j.proeng.2016.05.013
- Sharma , A. , Mueller-Hirsch , W. , Herold , S. , and Melz , T. Non-Homogeneous Localized Kelvin-Voigt Model for Estimation of Dynamical Behavior of Structures with Bolted Joints 6th European Conference on Computational Fluid Dynamics Barcelona, Spain 2014
- Ehrlich , C. , Schmidt , A. , and Gaul , L. Reduced Thin-Layer Element Model for Joint Damping 11th International Conference on Engineering Vibration Ljubljana, Slovenia 2015
- Mayer , M. 2007
- Gaul , L. and Nitsche , R. The Role of Friction in Mechanical Joints Appl Mech Rev 54 2 2001
- Maia , N. Reflections on the Hysteretic Damping Model Shock and Vibration 16 2009 10.3233/SAV-2009-0486
- Wellhoefer , A. 2016
- Technical Committee ISO/TC 43
- ANSYS Help Viewer 2016